The final scoop on Toyota corolla/matrix/vibe MT's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I've been reading all across the internet about the manual transmission on the Vibe, matrix, corollas.

I'd prefer to find an auto, but there are a number of manuals in the area at a decent price.

How bad are these [censored] things? I'm a seasoned manual transmission driver, and would be changing gear oil as often as necessary.

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Any idea of failure rates?

I've heard and read enough about them to only recommend an auto (as they are more reliable than most autos).

I saw one yesterday that pulled up and the guy turned off the car and left for about 15 minutes. When he came back and started his car I heard the most horrible lifter tick ive ever heard. It didn't stop and he drove away puffing a huge cloud of smoke out the back of the car. It was horrible. buddy must have been pretty rough on that car. It looked pretty new.

quick read over @ genvibe shows that the BAD ones were on the 03-05 model years,
http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40919

"2003-2005 5-speed transmission failures are actually quite common due to a flawed bearing design. Toyota fixed the issue in the 2006 and newer 5-speed.

The 6-speed also fits and does not have this issue and is generally cheaper to buy because of availability. However, the 6-speed's gearing is different, and generally lowers fuel economy by 3-5mpg."

Early 6-speeds (on the Matrix XRS/Vibe GT) from 03-04 had clutch issues on some of them, in many cases wearing out around 30k. But it's a [censored]. Of course, the bad clutches will have usually been replaced by now with aftermarket clutches. And even as a last resort, Pep Boys does have that occasional clutch replacement for $499 parts and labor.

By the time the Corolla XRS came out in 05, they sorted all of this out.

Changing the gear oil has nothing to do with it. The owners manual actually says changing it isn't even necessary.

The automatics are very good, though, so if you prefer one anyway, then just go for an auto. Especially in light of the manual reliability issues.

But if you can find an 05+ manual at good price, then go for it!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
6 speed has worse mileage since mated to the bigger 2.4 liter engine..

THis is not true! For the years in question, with the poor 5-speed manual, the engine equipped with the 6 speed was the exact same size (1.8L). It was much more powerful, and higher revving, however, and with a totally different design.

The six speed has a wider overall gear spread, and a TALLER 6th gear (lower engine RPM for given speed). If you accelerate conservatively, and shift at a decent RPM, the 6 speed will deliver BETTER fuel mileage as we found in our own experience. If you rev-out the lower gears, then yes you may see lower mileage, as you will be keeping a higher average engine speed.

The 6 speed does drop right in. We have done it to a Vibe in our family ourselves...including getting the little pattern indicator on the shifter that showed it was a 6-spd. The 6-spd is very reliable, cheaper and much easier to find.

buy auto, my 01 celica gt gives 34 mpgs combined atm...I don't see why people are buying new cars which are giving the same combined.

I have no idea how or why but most of my cars give wayyyy better then epa estimated mpg...

Meh, my uncles Matrix with an Auto (which ever the AWD one is) bite the dust around 130K

Not a cheap fix and 130K seems too soon for "toyota quality" ...

I say buy the transmission you want ! If you like manual then get a manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DriveHard

THis is not true! For the years in question, with the poor 5-speed manual, the engine equipped with the 6 speed was the exact same size (1.8L). It was much more powerful, and higher revving, however, and with a totally different design.

The six speed has a wider overall gear spread, and a TALLER 6th gear (lower engine RPM for given speed). If you accelerate conservatively, and shift at a decent RPM, the 6 speed will deliver BETTER fuel mileage as we found in our own experience. If you rev-out the lower gears, then yes you may see lower mileage, as you will be keeping a higher average engine speed.

The 6 speed does drop right in. We have done it to a Vibe in our family ourselves...including getting the little pattern indicator on the shifter that showed it was a 6-spd. The 6-spd is very reliable, cheaper and much easier to find.

I stand corrected. Didnt know they had the 6 speed with 1.8. I see it was 2005 & 2006 that had the 6 speed.

If you prefer the auto, than get the auto transmission. I test drove some used Matrix's before deciding on the corolla. The used Matrix's seem to have felt worn out. The only thing I would say is its pretty weak engine but great on gas and I do a drain and fill on ATF once a year. Test drive the auto, manual, and the 2.4L versions would be my advice. See what you like and go with it!

thanks for the replies guys.

I'll add an '06+ manual to the list.

The internet can be a car companies worst nightmare too. Id' suspect that the failure rate is fairly low.

Even a 1% failure rate would make a huge scene on the internet,

Thanks again.

My dad just traded an AWD matrix, 2005. It ate an auto transmission; mechanic blamed it on using engine braking. He lives in Vermont, you need lower gears to keep the shiny side up on the hills.

Anyway I drove the dumb thing once, had a persistent airbag light despite not being in a wreck, and having had average care taken of it.

I had a 2003 with 5 speed. Had the trans rebuilt at 140k due to bad input shaft bearing.

3 years later at 185k, it was starting to make the same noise. Traded on a 2009 Camry.

Other than the trans, airbag computer issue...it was pretty good.

My buddy had an 09 Vibe with the 2.4.
Nice little car, had no issues with the powertrain at all. I wouldn't worry personally if you're within the newer years, but that is just me.

The manual transmissions are in demand with high prices in the used market(salvage) because they fail.
The automatics are cheap in the salvage market because they are reliable - no one needs them.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

I stand corrected. Didnt know they had the 6 speed with 1.8. I see it was 2005 & 2006 that had the 6 speed.

The 6 speed only came with the XRS that has the 1.8L 2ZZ-GE engine with 180 hp and an 8,000 rpm redline (it's a high performance engine not designed for fuel economy but for power), which DOES NOT get better fuel economy than a regular manual equipped 5 speed Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine (FE stands for FUEL ECONOMY...).

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
The manual transmissions are in demand with high prices in the used market(salvage) because they fail.
The automatics are cheap in the salvage market because they are reliable - no one needs them.

Since Toyota makes over a quarter million Corolla/Matrix's for the US market a year*, the vast majority automatic, I see it a different way.

Normal attrition (car accidents, floods, fires, storm damage, other failures) places sufficient automatics into the used market every year, so they are cheap. Performance enthusiasts like to upgrade to the rare manual, keeping the price high.

*That's a lot. For any model in the US market, 100,000 a year is success and 150,000 is a great success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back