Engine + Primary/Trans Oil for 1947 Indian Chief?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried using the search function with zero success so please excuse me if this has been asked/answered before...

Looking for recommendations on engine oil as well as primary/trans oil for my vintage 1947 Indian Chief. I've seen tons of different opinions, but no reasoning to back them up and I was hoping that the smart folks here can shed some light. Thanks in advance.

Synth? dino? what weight? Lots of oils out there with high zinc amounts - why those ones specifically?

Last edited:
I think it's a safe assumption that a lubricant specified for a HD of the same vintage would be suitable for your Indian. 65 year old HD and Indian engines can't be that different in material and construction that they would require significantly different lubricants. Given that, I'd begin my search with oil manufacturers that make lubricants for vintage Harleys. Look at Amsoil (they have a product look up guide), Bel-Ray ( http://www.belray.com/powersports/products/v-twin ), or Redline ( http://www.redlineoil.com/ ). All three make engine, primary, and transmission oils.

I don't know where to point you for a source of UOA data for a motorcycle of that vintage and relative rarity. Absent data, your best bet is to find something that is known to work in an application as close to yours as possible, then start with short OC intervals and build your own UOA history. Good luck.

I believe back in the old days, Harley and Indian's used straight weight oils. But that was over 65 years ago. Oils have gotten better over the years and if I was going to chose an oil for the motor, It would depend what temps the bike would be ridden in. If just summer Sunday cruises,either straight 50 or 60 wt depending on the temp.If it's being use in cooler temps, then 20/50 wt would be my choice. For the trans, I would go with any regular GL-5 75/90 wt rated gear oil. If you think about it, those old iron horses lived long lives with very primitive oils from their day. Any oil made today would be like drinking top shelf whiskey vs the house brand.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back