MMO vs Rislone Concentrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Liqui-moly motor oil saver is made from a di-ester iirc which is what conditions seals and slows/stops them from leaking.

How did you determine Liqui-moly motor oil saver had di-esters?

Its a word I remember seeing when I emailed them about the stuff. I'm pretty sure di-ester was what they wrote back saying was part of the formulation.
Not that I even know what I di-ester is,it could have been ester though,it was years ago that I inquired.
I'm almost positive di-ester was what they said though......

I don't know if this answers the question, but the bottle I have in my hand now says

2X concentrate - Same performance as 32 ounce size.

I plan to use it as top-off at the end of my OCIs to hopefully have some positive effect on my pistons (SL2)

Originally Posted By: Trav
Molakule does the Rislone concentrate have the same amount of active components as the qt bottle just minus the carrier?

I have not used or analysed the smaller bottle of concentrate but most likely they use twice the amount of active ingredients.

Quote:
I'd like to know how Rislone is ester based given the fact that the MSDS lists it's ingredients as hydrotreated petroleum distillates???

The MSDS does not give the total formulation as the MSDS only gives inhalaton and toxicology info for health risks.

The FTIR showed TMP esters.

MolaKule, did you get a rough indication of the percentage that those esters comprised relative to the whole mixture?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Quote:
I'd like to know how Rislone is ester based given the fact that the MSDS lists it's ingredients as hydrotreated petroleum distillates???

The MSDS does not give the total formulation as the MSDS only gives inhalaton and toxicology info for health risks.

The FTIR showed TMP esters.

MolaKule, did you get a rough indication of the percentage that those esters comprised relative to the whole mixture?

It appeared to be around 11% or about 3.5 oz. by weight.

Reactions: a5m
I get Rislone Concentrate when on sale at Fred Meyer 3 for $10. Is there a cheaper source? LMK

Thank you MolaKule! That's a decent percentage. Did you get the viscosity tested?

MrQuackers, you got a good price for the concentrate. I paid roughly $5 at Walmart for one bottle.

It turns out to be about a 10W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.

The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the MO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.

Molakule,

Thanks for sharing this.

What do you think of this instruction from Rislone?

Originally Posted By: Rislone
For severely dirty engines, use two quarts of
Rislone Engine Treatment and change the oil
after 100 miles of driving

Do you think they recommend changing at 100 miles because it is going to be really effective or because they don't want you running such a high ratio of Rislone for too long? Or both?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Molakule,

Thanks for sharing this.

What do you think of this instruction from Rislone?

Originally Posted By: Rislone
For severely dirty engines, use two quarts of
Rislone Engine Treatment and change the oil
after 100 miles of driving

Do you think they recommend changing at 100 miles because it is going to be really effective or because they don't want you running such a high ratio of Rislone for too long? Or both?

If you are speaking to the quart bottle and not the concentrate, I would say both.

I have not used it in a severely sludged engine. If you have an engine that has caked or baked-on sludge in the heads then you've got more problems than just trying to clean it up. In a case like this, a pan removal would be indicated to make sure nothing is blocking the pick-up screen. A cooling system flush might also be indicated.

In my specific case of the sticking VVT valve, I used 8 oz. and the problem cleared up within 10 miles.

We must keep in mind that none of these additives is a cure all for a neglected or damaged engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I am assuming the concentrate version is also the same rating of 10w-20

I don't know.

Next time I am O'Reiley's I'll pick some up and open up it's secrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back