how to buy parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
like a blower motor (fan motor) prices really vary for a 99 maxima

do you try to sort out the alleged manufacturers ? like Delco, vdo. 4 seasons, parts master or tyc? all of which might be the same part?
example-
in the 80s I went through a north carolina plant that made 8 brands of saw blades, types were jig hack circular band etc . brands were sears miller rockwell , master mechanic, only one production line ,
or do you try to choose by who is selling it like parts geek or auto parts warehouse, or rock auto , hoping they choose a good vendor??
how to buy?

Last edited:
In your example of a blower motor I got a 4 seasons near-universal one with a bazillion mounting holes drilled. Had to move the "squirrel cage" over and even ground the thing with a separate wire.

But it was $12 so I was happy.

I'd give the B&M guys the nod unless mail order was significantly cheaper-- those motors are heavy and obnoxious to mail in for warranty trouble.

OTOH you might be able to live without one for a few days.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
like a blower motor (fan motor) prices really vary for a 99 maxima

do you try to sort out the alleged manufacturers ? like Delco, vdo. 4 seasons, parts master or tyc? all of which might be the same part?
example-
in the 80s I went through a north carolina plant that made 8 brands of saw blades, types were jig hack circular band etc . brands were sears miller rockwell , master mechanic, only one production line ,
or do you try to choose by who is selling it like parts geek or auto parts warehouse, or rock auto , hoping they choose a good vendor??
how to buy?

Your asking the 64K question to which the answer can change one day to the next.
Eliminate the obvious super cheap on with known cheap names with a poor rep like TYC, URO, Sensen, etc. Depending on the difficulty and time needed to install the part OE might be the most inexpensive option if you value your time.

If you have to tear the whole dash out then it would be risky to use less than OE.
Usually top brands have decent QC and are a safe bet.
I was told by my teacher years ago.. When the job hits the PITA category use the best parts you can get, buy the best once and cry once, buy cheap and cry a thousand times.

I have found this applicable to almost everything and have lived by it. All i can say is he was right!

I like how RA puts a heart "favorite" icon next to parts that, good or bad, at least sell a lot.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like how RA puts a heart "favorite" icon next to parts that, good or bad, at least sell a lot.

maybe due to lower price

For me and my family, I go to CarQuest or Autozone, and try to get the best if I am in a hurry. If I have time to spare, I order things from Rockauto, Partsgeek, or Summit Racing. I only use OEM parts when the OE part was extremely good and not unreasonably expensive. I always search for companies that are OE suppliers, such as Bosch, Denso, and Visteon.

Rock Auto, now some Amazon and if I'm in a hurry Carquest. I've generally been lucky to have a spare car around so shipping time isn't usually a big concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back