Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus review @45k+miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Nov. of 2012, I purchased a set of 4 Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus all season, 195/70R/14 tires from Tire Discounters in SW Ohio for a very reasonable $355.20 after $50 instant discount, installed with free 4 wheel alignment and free lifetime rotation and balance. They have a treadware rating of 540, Traction A, Treaderwear A, and a 55,000 mile warranty (since upped to 620 and a 65,000 mile warrant on current purchases). My particular tires were built for Hercules, which is a Findlay, Ohio based private label MARKETER of tires, by the Deestone Radial Tyre Company of Thailand. As far as I've been able to determine, Hercules doesn't actually own any of their own factories, but contract out to other companies to build for them.

My Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus have 2 polyester plies in both the sidewall and tread, with 2 steel belts and a nylon cap, with the tread pattern being a close clone knockoff of the Continental Extreme Contact. These tires weigh 22 pounds apiece, which is on the heavy side for a tire of this size (The General Altimax RT43's are 16 lbs. apiece, by contrast) and started with an initial tread depth of 10/32nds of an inch.

In a nutshell, I've been entirely pleased with these tires....nice grip on dry, very little in the way of hydroplaning at highway speeds (which for me is typically 9 over the speed limit) during torrential downpours, and reasonably assured when driving multiple times on the interstate during snowstorms while observing multiple vehicle slide offs each time this past, heavy winter here in SW Ohio. Until the last 5,000 miles or so, they were a very quiet tire as well, but the noise level has gone up since the tread depth has fallen to below 4/32nds as currently stands. At 45,162 miles on them currently, with a tread depth in around 3.25/32nds, they're still performing nicely and I do anticipate they could run another 5 to 10 thousand miles before they're worn out, but I'll likely replace them before the end of October so I'll have fresh tread for the winter months.

For the first 10k miles of these tires, i kept tire pressure in the 30-34 ppsi range, until I found this site and experimented with pressures in the 35-40 range, before settling in at 35-36, which seems to be the sweet spot for ride/handling/even treadware that I like for my 2001 Toyota Camry.

For my next purchase, Tire Discounters currently has an even better "out the door" price than previously, at $333.80.....but Discount Tire will price match tirebuyer.com(with free shipping) price for the Altimax RT43, with it's many favorable reviews, at $252 total, for a total of $354 with their install package. I know many of you will say it's a no brainer to go with the Generals, but their 1 polyester sidewall ply vs. 2 for the Hercules somewhat concerns me as I've read they tend to ride somewhat softer and "wallowy" ride and handling. I'll likely approach both retailers and see if they'll make further price concessions and go with whichever one will.

This is my first post....sorry if I rambled on too long...and I do appreciate any feedback regarding my next purchase, or previous experiences you've had with the RT'43's and Hercules Tour 4.0......Thanks

Nice write up on the Herc's! I always tell folks, "if you like your current tires, get them again"!(if available).

But, the RT43's do get some favorable test scores and customer reviews on the Tire Rack site. If you can get some customer reviews on your particular generation Camry with the RT43's, this will help you decide.
smile.gif

I just purchased & installed new RT43's(225-70-16) for my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300(Camry Platform) and they do ride on par with my previous G/Y Assurance Comfort Tread(non touring).

I put 2 lbs more air in the RT43's recently,(than I kept in the G/Y's). With that being said, their ride comfort is similar. I have only had the RT43's for a couple of weeks so, my review of the RT43's right now is minimal.

The RT43's are certainly quiet enough and the ride is equal to the G/Y ACT's and the cornering grip seem much better at least on dry road thus far but, we don't push this CUV. The RT43's seem nicely absorbent over rut/broken pavement in this category of tire("T" speed rated) and on par with other highly regarded tires.

The RT43 do come in other speed ratings but I'm not sure if the other speed ratings are offered in your 195-70-14 size. Others have commented on the RT43's lighter weight compared to their previous tires and other tires in this category. They may chime in with their experiences as well.

I purchased the RT43's at a much better price than I could have gotten the G/Y ACT's at this time(even with rebates) and it was a no brainer since my RX is approaching 14 years old also.

Last edited:
Char Baby...thanks for your reply. I have no doubt that the lighter General Altimax RT43 has its advantages....ie, better rolling resistance, less unsprung weight, better gas mileage....I think my biggest concern is having 1 sidewall body play with the General vs. 2 with the Hercules.

On page 3 of the Executive Summary of a July 2013 Evaluation of Laboratory Tire Tead and Sidewall Strength (plunger energy) test methods done by the NHTSA....the following assessment concerns me.....

"The final goal of the agency research was to evaluate tire sidewall stregth/bruise resistance. A sidewall test was proposed that used existing FMVSS tread strength test fixtures in an attempt to duplicate the sidewall bulges or broke cords seen in tires damaged during service. This method was used on five passenger and two light truck tires to examine the concept. These results suggested plunger penetration and breaking forces were SIGNIFICANTLY INFLUENCE BY THE NUMBER OF PLIES IN THE TIRES SIDEWALL." (caps added by me for emphasis)

Later on page 47 of of the report, "the width of the bulge is primarily a function of the number of plies, as shown by the linear regression results.... The Duncan's multiple range test indicates that the single ply construction has a significantly larger bulge with, while the 2 and 3-ply constructions are not significantly different from each other."

Maybe I'm overly concerned with the 1 vs. 2 sidewall construction, but it certainly seems to me that the 2 plies are a more rigorous construction method with a redundancy that would promote a safer tire construction. I seem to recall reading Capri Racer say there's very little difference between having 1 or 2 plies in the sidewall, but such a plunger test conclusion suggests otherwise.

I'd enjoy to hear more on this topic from the likes of Capri Racer and others who are more knowledgeable about the differences in construction and their impacts.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Nice write up on the Herc's! I always tell folks, "if you like your current tires, get them again"!(if available).

I bought discontinued tires. I like them, but I'm not buying them again
frown.gif

Those are the disadvantages when buying discontinued tires!
I currently have Cooper CS4's(~5K miles), which I may/may not be able to get should I have a complete tire failure. They are being replaced by the new CS5's.

Though I am having some balancing issues, I like the CS4 especially for my driving style and I love the impact(broken pavement/ruts) absorption of the tires. But, most likely by the time I may need ONE(1) tire, I probably won't be able to get one.

I bought the last of the Lifeliner GLS (replaced by CS3) from treaddepot. A month after having them installed, two of them got slashed.

I managed to find some on tires-easy. Last I checked they were almost out of stock.

My car does shake a bit at highway speeds. Though, I think it's the fact that I started knocking the rust buildup off of the rotors on the car. The rust started chewing into the caliper. But now it's going to make things a bit out of balance. New rotors in the spring!

I had a set of Cooper Lifeliner GLS's on an Accord and the car hated them. Too much shaking at any speeds on the hiwy. Could never get them balanced properly so, I got rid of'em! The next set of tire were OK though, I think they were Kelley's!

This was during a time that I was buying lots of low end tires and private label brands(pre-2000). Since I've been buying tires based on CR & TR/DTD tire tests &/or reviews, I've been satisfied!

Still catch a tire that gives me balance issues now & again!

The Winterforce tires I bought in 2011 are like that. All 4 shook, but two were particularly bad. Couldn't warranty them. I bought two more (should have just bought an entirely new set ...) but those two aren't terrible.

Ironically, just before I wrote my initial review of the Hercules Tour 4.0 plus, The Cooper Lifeliner GLS is another tire was was considering in the potential mix along with the Altimax RT43 as they're current on sale at 20% off at NTB....and with their $39 lifetime balancing package, 4 installed in my size for $352. I found mostly decent reviews for them, but realistically, I'd likely just use them as added leverage to get a better price on one of the other two (all 3 shops around the Dayton Mall within quarter mile of each other....Discounter Tire, Tire Discounters, NTB).

I was still hoping to hear some responses on the 1 vs. 2 ply sidewall questions I had...I might just have to repaste that and start the topic as another thread.

I guess it depends on how thick the ml of the ply is in the sidewall!

1 ply may be as thick as 2 in the other, IDK! I have never had any issues with thin(er) sidewalls unless one scrapes against a curb. I have hit my share of curbs w/o issue.

And I have seen others(folks) with thicker sidewall stiffness tires("V" speed rated) that have ruined their tire sidewall when the hit the curb.

I was not to happy to find this sidewall bump in my Hercules Roadtour 655.

My local Hercules dealer would not offer any adjustment, saying that it was probably caused by hitting a pot hole. I tend to think it is a result of poor tire construction and was expecting that they would have offered a replacement with a partial adjustment based on remaining tread life.

If they will not stand behind their products better than that, I doubt that I will take a chance with Hercules tires in the future.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
I was not to happy to find this sidewall bump in my Hercules Roadtour 655.

My local Hercules dealer would not offer any adjustment, saying that it was probably caused by hitting a pot hole.

Your Hercules dealer is probably correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back