Synthetic Oil for Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased a used 2014 Suburban and I'm looking for synthetic oil recommendations. I am coming from a Duramax so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things with gas engines. I have searched high and low and can't find any good recommendations for the newer 5.3 VVT engines. I am leaning towards either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 mostly because of the reputation that they both carry. I am open to any good synthetic but I'm not sure about Amsoil just because it seems to be difficult to get a hold of. I also plan on using either a Purolator Pure One or Mobil 1 oil filter but I am also open to recommendations there as well. Thanks

Any dexos approved oil that is the spec'd weight, a decent filter
all you need.
some will say Fram ultra, some will say Bosch distance plus, some will say purolator synthetic or Mobil 1 oil filter.

go with a dexos oil on sale bundled with a filter at an auto parts store, the olm on my buddies suburban goes around 5000mi, Any mid to top tier oil filter should accomplish that

Any that meet the Dexos spec will be good. I would use the Fram ultra filter or a Wix though.

2014? Us a Dexos approved oil for sure. You have warranty.

For filter? If you're going to be doing the OLM OCI's, I'd just use a Delco filter and call it a day so GM can never say my weird aftermarket filter caused my power seats to stop working or some bee-ess like that.

Platinum Ultra 5W-30 would be a good candidate for this application.
thumbsup2.gif

The smart move is to use an approved oil of the correct viscosity and you're done. Concerning your warranty there's no such thing as figuring out a "better oil". These spec's make it simple.

Any 5W-30 synthetic is what I'd use. Walmart has a great selection. If you change by the OLM, oil filter makes no real difference.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I will do some research on the Fram Ultra filters, I remember Fram always having a bad reputation in the filter category. I always ran Prulator Pure One, Mobil 1 and sometimes Wix but that's what seemed to have worked well on the diesel's. I agree with using what is recommended due to warranty but unfortunately I don't have much left on the warranty. The Suburban we bought was a corporate lease and they put some pretty heavy highway miles on it. I checked the engine hours to the odometer and the average came out to 50 mph. Not the kind of miles I was looking for but it is what fit in our budget and we needed a Suburban due to us having our third child this coming Monday. Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Any synthetic 5w30 oil is good for ur new SUV. I recommend oem AC Delco oil filter. And I would just follow the OLM for oil changes. Enjoy ur new ride

Does the owner's manual spec a 0W-20 for that model year like the Silverados?

Edit: Congrats on number 3! I have three also and have been trying to figure out the best way to fit them all in the back of the Audi. The guys on the forum mostly suggested I sell the Audi and get a Suburban.

Last edited:
I looked in the owners manual and on the oil fill cap and they both state Dexos 5W-30 oil. And thanks on the new addition, we are excited for both our new daughter and our new vehicle. I also plan on sending a sample to Blackstone after 5000 miles on whatever oil I go with. Thanks again for the replies.

I used to run Mobil 5W30 1 every 7,500 miles in my Tahoe 5.3L.

Run Mobil 1 and be worry free! Mobil 1 has been around for 40 years and is proven in countless high mileage vehicles. Pennzoil is a new name in the synthetic oil game and Mobil 1 still seems to be a better oil than Pennzoil.

0W20 viscosity oil is on 2015 model year GM trucks when GM went to DI V8s instead of the traditional pushrod V8s. The 2014 model year calls for 5W30, NOT 0W20! I verified this looking at the owner's manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I used to run Mobil 5W30 1 every 7,500 miles in my Tahoe 5.3L.

Run Mobil 1 and be worry free! Mobil 1 has been around for 40 years and is proven in countless high mileage vehicles. Pennzoil is a new name in the synthetic oil game and Mobil 1 still seems to be a better oil than Pennzoil.

0W20 viscosity oil is on 2015 model year GM trucks when GM went to DI V8s instead of the traditional pushrod V8s. The 2014 model year calls for 5W30, NOT 0W20! I verified this looking at the owner's manual.

You seem confused. The 5.3L Ecotec is still a pushrod engine, albeit with direct injection technology.

Also, Shell isn't exactly a "new" name in the lubricants game - they've been around for a long time and know a thing or two about lubricants. Especially with their new GTL based products.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
2014 Suburban with the ECOTEC 3 V8 now requires 0w20 Dexos 1 no need for a heavy 5w30 motor oil no more

MY2015 with the Ecotec calls for 0W-20. The previous Vortec for MY2014 specs 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
2014 Suburban with the ECOTEC 3 V8 now requires 0w20 Dexos 1 no need for a heavy 5w30 motor oil no more

No - that would be the 2015 model. We started building the new PICKUP trucks for 2014 but the SUV did not change until 2015 and that is when 20wt oil came for us. The poster has the last year of the GMT900 models...5W/30 oil.

(I work at the plant)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back