Oil For 2013 S63 AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you guys think? I use 0-30gc in the Tundra, and have 30 something quarts laying around, so seems like a good choice...thinking after that's gone, maybe Mobil 0-40? Redline 0-30?

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

What's the spec? MB 229.5, right?

M1 0w40 or 5w40 whichever has the correct MB spec, but I would think they would be very similar in use.

and congrats I'm sure that thing is a blast to drive...

Last edited:
I would go with the M1 0w40...I've had great UOAs in the S600 using that oil. Twin turbo engine, similar to yours.

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
Yes lst time I checked

In that case, Mobil 1 0w-40 for sure.

What you guys think? I use 0-30gc in the Tundra, and have 30 something quarts laying around, so seems like a good choice...thinking after that's gone, maybe Mobil 0-40? Redline 0-30?

Use the recommended oil in the manual, should be 0w-40 or 5w-40 MB229.5.

5w-30 oils are not recommended at all for this engine.

http://lubematch.shell.co.uk/us/en_US/equipment/cars/mercedes-benz_(us)/s63_amg_221_series_s_class_EFt8PkXnN

Last edited:
Another vote for M1 0w40. I would not, personally, use the GC 0w30 in an S63.

Great car, by the way. And welcome to BITOG!

First welcome to BITOG.

As others have said, during warranty you'll want to stick with MB 229.5 approved oils and although GC is an A3/B4 oil I don't think it has that MB approval and RL 0W-30 is a lighter A5/B5 equivalent and of course has no approvals.

M1 0W-40 is the no-brainer choice since it's cheap and readily available.

Why bother with what oil is best. Just take your beauty to the dealer and let them change it, they know best. Relax in the dealer lounge with a coffee and let them treat you well. That's what I do with my 2014 BMW X5. [censored] man, if we can afford to own these types of vehicles, we can afford to have them dealer serviced.

Okay thanks.
So for our friend GC is not recommended.

Does the S63 come with any oil gauges specifically an oil pressure gauge? If it does then you'll have ample time to compare the operational viscosities of various approved 0W-40s. Some are pretty light with an HTHSV of 3.6cP like Castrol's 0W-40. I'm sure even the lightest 0W-40 will be way heavier than necessary for a street driven S63 because you're just not able to get the oil hot enough.
The point being, the marginally lighter GC (HTHSV 3.5+cP) should work just fine even in an AZ climate. Something for the OP to consider once his warranty has expired assuming he keeps the car that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back