Change Oil In Fall or Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus on the better time to change the oil and oil filter?

Is it correct to change the oil in the fall, so for storage fresh oil is sitting in the engine and will be ready to go in the spring?

Or is it correct to change the oil in the spring, so when riding season comes back around, fresh oil goes in and off you go?

I purchased a new to me bike in July and have put about 1K miles on it. The PO had just had the dealer service (I have documentation) the engine with fresh oil and filter, so I did not bother to change it once I took possession of the bike.

What's your suggestion?

Fall is theoretically better but even used oil isn't totally used up and has adequate corrosion protection, etc.

The best reason to do it though is so you don't have gas or other potential contaminants eating your wet clutch packs, if you have them. (I noticed this is the MC section.)

I have to do it twice a year so .. both.

If I had to pick one time a year for daily driver.. definitely spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
For winter storage, I change the oil shortly before storing it. I do not change it again right after storage, I just drive it as usual.

That's how I do it, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
For winter storage, I change the oil shortly before storing it. I do not change it again right after storage, I just drive it as usual.

That's how I do it, too.

+2 Consider fogging the engine and putting a gas stabilizer in before you store it as well.

That's how I do it, too.

Me too!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

That's how I do it, too.

+2 Consider fogging the engine and putting a gas stabilizer in before you store it as well.

+3

That's what I do, including some stabilizer. I am usually too lazy to take the battery out, so I just keep it topped off on a charger.

I do try to ride the bike a couple times during the winter, getting it up to temp. I have no qualms with letting the oil sit in the engine.

I agree that it's supposed to be better to change the oil before storing, since the used up oil becomes acidic, but from all the UOAs I've seen, shared sump motorcycles shear down the oil way before the additives deplete, so there should still be plenty of protection.

Unless you put a ton of miles on your bike, I'm not convinced it really matters. That being said, I change mine in the fall (or during winter storage) for a couple of reasons:

1. It reminds me of summer.
2. To be consistent. If I always "put it away clean" I know what state it is in.
3. When the warm weather comes in the spring, I'll skip ANY maintenance I can to get out there and ride. If I do it all in the winter, it will get done.
4. I like to look over the bike from front to back to see if anything is bent, broken, twisted, falling off or otherwise not up to snuff. In Michigan, this is a 5 month time window.

I always get the engine up to temp and keep it there for a while to make sure I drive off all of the moisture, go to the busiest gas station in your area add some stabilizer to the tank and fuel up with fresh gas. I store my bikes full of fuel, in an attempt to keep tank rust to a minimum. There is a debate (~fight) over whether to store full or empty, I chose full.

I would definitely do fall. Store with fresh oil and a full tank of gas with a fuel stabilizer in it. In Spring just wipe her down and go. If she's carbureted I would also drain the carbs, makes for less headaches.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I change every 10K. It doesn't make a hoot when you change.

Do 5K oil changes so no worries here
11.gif

In which motorcycle?

FYI, this topic has to do with seasonal storage.

Thanks, everyone. I will be changing the oil in the Fall.

Once I change the oil, should I ride "xx" miles? What is the proper protocol here?

If you do ride then make sure you ride long enough to burn off any possible condensation.

"protocol" ? follow the Winter storage thread....

Are you talking motorcycles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back