7317 vs 3593a on honda k24

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently did a oil and filter change on my 2005 accord 4cyl, and noticed that i accidentally bought a ST7317 instead of the usual ST3593a that i usually get. i was thinking baout going back to walmart and getting the 3593a for a mid-oci filter swap, but decided to look here for some advice first.

what ive read has basically said this:
- 3593a is much bigger in voluem compared to the 7317 (this i noticed, and was what concerned me)
- while the 7313 is physically smaller, people seem to believe that it has almost the same amount of filtering media
- the gasket on the 3593a is larger than the OE gasket, which could potentially cause oil leaks depending on your application (ive already used a 3593a without any apparent problems though)
- 3593a has a clicker-type bypass valve
- 7313 has a leaf spring bypass valve (better?)
- both have M20x1.5 threads, which is why they are "interchangable"
- bypass psi is slightly different?

for the record, supertech recommended the 7317 size filter for my car, which is about the same size as the newer (smaller) OEM 15400-pcm-a02 filters.

just wanted to see what you guys think about this one. lots of great info on these boards, and knowledgable members. i really enjoy this board, thanks in advance for your help.

also, has anyone posted results of a filter cutaway for this comparison? if not, id be happy to sacfrice the whopping $4.14 for two ST filters and take some pics. can someone briefly describe the best way to cut up a filter? i have a dremel and some disks, is that suitable?

I thought the 7317 gasket diameter is the same as the 3593a in diameter. Do you just mean the rubber gasket itself is thinner than the other one?

at least ofr the supertech filters, the gasket diameter for the 3593a is significantly larger than the 7317.

i dont have a filter, chain, or pipe cutter. where can i buy something cheap for a one-time filter cutting use?

The filters, IMO, are interchangeable. Don't worry about it.

Most automakers are spec'ing smaller filters now and back spec'ing for other previous years. I prefer bigger filters if available.

Use a filter, chain, or pipe cutter. Some fancy can openers might work. If you use your dremel, you'll make a mess. Sometimes the mess is confused for manufacturing debris.

Sump,

You can 'rent/borrow' a pipe cutter for a few hours from AutoZone for FREE
fruit.gif
www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/loan_a_tool.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back