Funnels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question: clean and reuse, or toss and buy more? What about using with different fluid types? Getting other fluid into engine oil doesn't seem nearly as bad as getting engine oil into ATF/PS/brake. Seems like funnels are a buck or more a pop.

I know I have a funnel I used for brake fluid the other weekend, IIRC I wiped it down and put... someplace. The one I use for used motor oil gets wiped down and left in the drain pan; that I'm obviously not worried about fluid contaimination. But now as I think about power steering fluid changes I'm realizing I need to put a bit of thought into funnels.

Should print off labels and find a decent place to store each funnel--or some sort of bulk deal on funeels and treat as one time use?

I just wipe them down and reuse. If for whatever reason you feel its a critical application you could clean with degreaser or IPA.

I'm not talking about the gas station disposable funnels.

Originally Posted By: supton
...or some sort of bulk deal on funeels...

I like this idea; it'll put the fun back into fluid exchanges!

Seriously...I have a few and they have their own use. I have a long skinny one for ATF and some shorter/fatter ones for engine oil. I don't need them for PS fluid or brake fluid because the reservoirs are high up, but if I did, I'd probably get a dedicated funeel for those.

I just wipe mine out when I'm down with a paper towel. No biggie. When I use the same funnel and go from motor oil to PSF, or something like that, I usually use Acetone or carb cleaner to spray it out first before switching to a different fluid.

I change oil for a few individuals and only use a funnel where needed. I did get this one, GM funnel which works great since it is hands free and has a large opening. Makes for pouring gallon jugs go faster.

I basically let it sit in the drain pan for a while, then take it out and wash it out with dawn dish soap.

I keep my oil fill funnel(s) in ziplock bags. Other funnels, I wash with soap and water, wipe dry and also keep in ziplock bags. I am anal about internal cleanliness (In regards mechanical things), so cross contamination would be......Unacceptable.

Ziploc bags here too. The longer transmission ones I just put the largest Ziploc bag over the opening. Every so often I may have to replace the bag if it starts to get bad but that takes a long time and really it's cheap insurance. Drives me nuts if there is any dirt down in the funnel tube.

One for each use here, so cheap not worth the possibility of contaminating fluids, with other fluids. However I wouldn't be opposed to wiping one down, or cleaning it really well with some dish liquid if I need to use one for a different application.

I don't require a funnel to pour oil into an engine, so I don't need a clean funnel for most purposes.

Perhaps this is a skill worth developing, rather than buying eleven funnels and vacuum bagging them between uses. I understand every application is different, but if you don't want anything touching your brand new oil than don't use a funnel.

I cut the bottom off a qt. of oil or a qt. of MMO and use that for a funnel depending on the application. I have a funnel for transmission fluid as well. I wipe it clean, wash it if needed, dry it and put it in a plastic supermarket bag. I twist the bag and knot it, it's fine for the next time I need it.

My funnels are probably at least 20 years old, and I have one in particular (an old wide-mouthed Prestone flush-n-fill kit funnel that snaps into a radiator neck or oil fill hole) that I use for EVERYTHING. I just wipe it down, or if it looks extra dirty I blast it with Brakleen and then wipe it down.

I have a couple of motorcycles that have a fill hole about 3/4" in diameter, that is hard to get to. And a couple of vehicles that have hoses in the way, so I can plunk in a funnel, or fight the hoses while I pour. My Lesbaru is the only vehicle that I could actually easily fill without a funnel.

Just another thought......Why would anyone assume that a new funnel is clean? I wash them before I use them, just like new dinnerware.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks. I have for a long time not used funnels and just suffered the spill while pouring from a 5L bottle. Recently I changed brake fluid and found myself really good at making a mess with that too--only brake fluid supposedly eats paint, so it wasn't long before I got a funnel.

I've got a couple of funnels that I use and typically give them a shot with brake cleaner and wipe before and after every use. No problem so far.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Would requiring the kind of diligence suggested in the above postings rule out going to a quick oil change place?

Based on what I've read here it would be somewhat hypocritical to use any shop for an oil change. Any quick lube, dealer, or local friendly mechanic would be out, unless he goes through the lengths mentioned here to clean his funnels before adding oil to your car. I don't think it happens either, at least from what I've seen over the years.

Take an empty oil quart bottle. Cut it in half horizontally and use the top for a funnel. Save the cap. When finished, install the cap and slide the bottom half over the top half to keep it clean. You might have to put a cut in the bottom half to get it to slide back over the top half. Works for me, but then, I'm cheap.

Can't cut up oil bottles--what would I put waste oil into? None of my vehicles currently use oil between 10k OCI's. Transfer station requires oil to be bottled up.

For used oil I have an old nasty looking 8" plastic funnel, no mistaking what it is used for.

For new oil I have an old 1 qt. oil bottle with the bottom cut out. I don't remember the brand, but it's round black plastic with red lettering and a ~2" neck with a screw on cap. The diameter is just right to use a plastic snap on lid, like is found on various resealable containers, to keep it clean between uses. It is stored neck down in a metal 32oz. fruit juice can saved from the distant past. I have used both of these items forever, at least 20 years, maybe more. I have a 2nd. one just like it, it's a red plastic PS oil bottle. Don't remember why I made it, hasn't been used in several years. I have several funnels, from little 2" to the the 8" ones. I have a nice set of white poly funnels that I keep clean and carefully stored for use when I need a clean one. There are numerous tops cut from plastic bottles scattered around, usually for a one time use that never got disposed of. Round 1 gal. jugs make great funnels when I need something big, like pouring gas from a full 5 gal. can in the tractor.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back