Thoughts on the Wix Combo Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've noticed quite a few Wix users lately. More so with the Puro issues and the preference for some not to go with FRAM.

How many of you are using a Wix with the ADBV/bypass combo valve? How do you like it? I've read a few old threads from the past with the reviews being mixed at best. Some time has elapsed since so I thought I'd ask about this.

Civic is due for an OC. I've got a Carquest Blue kicking around that I'm thinking of using. It's got the combo valve. I've some Ultras, Royal Purples, P1, Classic, Bosch and A02, so I've got no shortage of filters in my stash thats for sure. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I've used Wix based Napa Silvers and Oreilly Microguards with the comobo valve many times and haven't had any issues; no startup noises or anything. I have no worry using them. Haven't cut a used one open, but based on the many that have here, I use them with confidence.

Just as long as you understand that it is basically a piece of rubber (nitrile) that is responsible maintaining the correct psi for opening and closing the bypass over the course of the fci, and that no Wix branded or Napa Gold 'automotive application' filter uses a combo valve design, then you are making an informed decision. (The latter use either metal spring thread end bypass (most), or some dome end metal coil spring bypass.)

I see many citing excellent noise anecdotes as a reason for use in the finicky start up rattle engines. Makes me wonder sometimes if they are in bypass sooner or more often, so start up noise is reduced. Generally the only reason for a start up rattle/noise would be a faulty or compromised adbv resulting in dry start, otherwise start up rattle should not be affected.

I have used them a good bit, I like them, trust them and have had great results with them. And I've cut several open and liked what I've seen.

You'll likely find most critics of the combo valve have theoretical objections to the design which for whatever reason they don't like. Most who have actually used them have nothing but positive comments in actual use. After all, Wix engineers designed and tested the thing it's not like they threw it out there on a whim.

I am one that has had start up noise that has been corrected by the Wix combo valve filter. IMO it has nothing to do with the combo valve, but the fact that the filters so fitted happen to have an unusually strong ADBV even though it is nitrile it is quite noticeable when you take one apart, very rigid. And two other filters also correct my start up issue, the Fram Tough Guard and the Motorcraft S series. The bypasses on those three could not be more different, I credit the different ADBV's doing their respective jobs better than most.

They are built like a tank and are incredibly good buys too, try one you might like it!

Filters seem to get a little hate if they have nitrile rubber ADBV's. The Silver isn't an extended OCI filter so it has no need for silicone.

As posted here before, the rubber is still plenty pliable after shorter OCI's and they hold up quite well in harsh cold temperatures.

Many filters use nitrile adbv's and are generally speaking considered non extended oci filters and are up to the task under those conditions.

The difference with the combo valve being mentioned here is the filter bypass function, as addressed above, is also controlled by the same piece of rubber over the course of the oci. And it's not theoretical that the only reason a combo valve is used as opposed to the metal coil spring bypass used on Wix branded and Napa Gold is as a cost cutting measure, it's cheaper to make and use.

And curiously not all Napa Silver or current MicroGard filters use a combo valve, some use the Wix standard metal thread end bypass. Though Wix will never reveal the reason, it would be interesting to know the reasoning behind which 'made for' applications get which.

Every filter on the road is made of cost cutting measures so I wouldn't let that hold you back.

It does spark my curiosity as to why some of the filters do and do not have the combo setup though. I dissected a small MicroGard (the shorter ph7317 equiv IIRC) and it actually had a dome end bypass just like a Fram.

Not every filter uses a combo rubber bypass mechanisms, only two I'm aware of are Champ ecores and some Wix 'made fors'. Afaik, all other spin-ons use separate adbv and metal coil spring bypass at either dome or thread end.

As said at the start as long as the OP knows that the bypass mechaism is a rubber piece and not used on Wix branded or Napa Gold automotive applications then he can make an informed decision.

My thoughts on the bypass valve deviations are I believe it is due to Wix's attempt to match OEM specs as closely as possible. For example, the Silver 31516 is a Motorcraft FL-400s equivalent, and as such it used Wix's Motorcraft style thread end bypass.

However the older FL1a Motorcraft equivalent which I am running now, the 31515 uses the combo valve so maybe not.

At any rate they seem to work wonderfully well so I use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back