FL-1As ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
do they plan on making silicone for FL-1A version ? My future oil change on my 85 mustang will be one a year, 1 a month drive... was plan on something better with Silicone ADBV. Any suggest ? thanks

I don't expect to ever see one, as the FL1A has not been used as the OEM filter on new Ford vehicles since the 90's IIRC.

The solution is the FL-400s which will work wonderfully in an FL1A application even though it is smaller.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I don't expect to ever see one, as the FL1A has not been used as the OEM filter on new Ford vehicles since the 90's IIRC.

The solution is the FL-400s which will work wonderfully in an FL1A application even though it is smaller.

hmmm,

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The Wix 51515 is the same size as an FL1A and has a silicone adbv.

you think its perfectly fine for 1 years oil change, on rarely drive car ? mabe 100-200 miles a years ?

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The Wix 51515 is the same size as an FL1A and has a silicone adbv.

Bingo. The NAPA Gold 1515 is the same thing. Use whichever is easier to get.

This is a very good filter
It is a waste to change it after only a few miles
I would use it for several years

Maybe if it is nitrile and well designed it works better than silicone and not as well designed, for one year changes.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
do they plan on making silicone for FL-1A version ? My future oil change on my 85 mustang will be one a year, 1 a month drive... was plan on something better with Silicone ADBV. Any suggest ? thanks

I used the FL-1A on my 1989 F-150 for up to 1 year OCI, approximately 5,000 miles. Never had any problems with oil drain down from the filter. Always started quietly, even in below zero temps. For your usage I'd not waste my money on a more expensive filter. The FL-1A will serve you well for your yearly OCI.

Whimsey

The FL-1A I pulled of a Shelby GT500 today no longer had ADBV function. When I loosened the filter, instead of the usual waterfall of oil I expect to see, there was barely a drop that came down.

When I turned the filter over, everything drained out of everywhere.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

First the racing filter is made for 1965-1995 Mustangs.

FL-1A but the model number for this is CM-6731-FL1A

here is link.. but look at pics and read
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7568

Truly the Motorcraft oil filter is fine. But you can get FORDS HIGH PERFORMANCE / Racing filters that have Silcone ADBV.. look at pics and read

mmq4hl.jpg

wrx83b.jpg

You can see in picture below has a blue gasket probably PTFE simular to Pureone or Boesh D+

ojqjac.jpg

Here you can see the Silicone ADBV

2psj5v8.jpg

Ford Racing FL1A Oil Filter for Mustangs.
This high performance oil filter from Ford Racing features a heavy gauge base and canister for higher burst strength and impulse fatigue resistance.

A synthetic-polymer/cellulose-fiber blend filter media offers up to 50% more filtering capacity then standard filters. The benefit to you is improved filtering efficiency and longer oil filter life when using either standard or synthetic motor oils.

A high quality silicone anti-drain back valve prevents oil from escaping the filter when the engine is off. A non-stick sealing gasket makes for easier installation and removal.

There are videos about the Race FORD FILTERS THAT ARE OEM

Last edited:
Racing filters are more about flow than cleaning
I would not use them on a daily driver but I guess some do and think it makes their car go faster

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I would not use them on a daily driver but I guess some do and think it makes their car go faster

is that why most high end performing race engine running regular orange can Fram ?

At one time somebody found and posted the filtering efficiency of the Ford racing oil filters and they were surprisingly efficient as well as very free flowing - there was also a delta-p vs flow rate graph.

I guess you didnt read the specs did you?

Ill paste them again but this time in bold.
Actually this filter cleans 50% better then the standard FL-1A
A Regular MC FL-1A is Cellulose Fiber blend media... This oil filter mentioned is Synthetic-Polymer/Cellulose-Fiber blend media

FORD RACING HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTERS
Synthetic-Polymer/Cellulose-Fiber blend media
Heavy gage base and canister for higher burst strength and impulse fatigue resistance
High quality silicone anti-drain back valve
Non-stick sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal
Long life with standard and synthetic motor oils
Up to 50% more filtering capacity then standard filters
Improved filtering efficiency
This technology is only available through Ford Racing Performance Parts.

Now tell me that a regular standard MC FL-1A is just as good or better at cleaning the oil. This is a better filter all around then the Regular FL-1A Rememeber this part of the specs Improved filtering efficiency

Perhaps you understand now.

and to the point.. Its better at filtering and has great FLOW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

At one time somebody found and posted the filtering efficiency of the Ford racing oil filters and they were surprisingly efficient as well as very free flowing - there was also a delta-p vs flow rate graph.

Yea when I was looking for pics I saw that

I dont think many are using the orange can on high end engines
I know I would not use any 4.00 filter on a 10,000.00 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back