Honda A01 vs HAMP HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a good deal on real Japan Hamp Oil filters

Some people say the HEMP are better and some say the Honda BLUE A01s are better,.

Here is a pic of Fram TG - Fram Ultra - Hemp - Honda A01 - Pureone - Purolator

filters.jpg

So what do you all think?

comp_media.JPG

Here is a picture but the Honda A01 filter element looks bigger , however its just b/c its a taller filter.. HEMP makes one the same size of even larger.

here is some more pics

hampscientific.jpg

thats HEMP above

here is Honda Filtech below however they messed up on pic of the filter cartridge

originalillus.jpg

See if you look 1 is short and 1 is larger / taller

hamp14780000.jpg

I can get a real good deal on them 6$ each.

What do you guys think???? Or is just better of getting a FRAM ULTRA for a few $ more?

Looks aren't everything. How can you judge these filters without listing how well they actually filter....?

Both are good filters, as is the A02. I would go with the AO1 if your going to choose OEM. But, for $3 more I would get the Fram Ultra, filters much better (whether or not that matters IDK. But you can run it for 15K miles if you like, all the while knowing its filtering much better than the Honda OEM.

Oh man, HAMP filters...that takes me back to my Honda days. Honestly, nothing here really indicates that the HAMP is massively better.

How many millions of Hondas have racked up millions of miles on the cheap Filtech ones?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Oh man, HAMP filters...that takes me back to my Honda days. Honestly, nothing here really indicates that the HAMP is massively better.

How many millions of Hondas have racked up millions of miles on the cheap Filtech ones?

Yea I know... thats why I want to get a few a at discount price.. been a long time since I seent them

and your correct is HAMP.. not HEMP

lol

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Looks aren't everything. How can you judge these filters without listing how well they actually filter....?

Well Hondas went millions and millions of miles of them..... They must of done somthing correct... and durring those miles no problems.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've used both and noticed zero difference. I'd just get whichever is cheaper in the future.

What do you personally feel about the A02s

was it a step up from the A01s or a step down?

Or perhaps just as good or even better or the same but an attempt on Hondas end to save $.

Perhaps the A02s cost less?

** NOT SAYING THEY ARE BAD **

Personally I just like A01s and HEMP SYNERGY personally.

but would use a A02 anytime.

On my Honda S2000 the oil filter comes off the side of the block so I run a much larger Baldwin filter. The Baldwin B202 and B7042 are what I have ran for the last 110k miles on my S. If you think the larger filter is better(holds more dirt, better flow with less PSID and can be run longer) then take a look at the Baldwin filters.
Here are some pic's of the larger Honda S2000 filter(3ooo miles), Wix(3200 miles) and my B7042(15,000 miles)

http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1

ROD

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've used both and noticed zero difference. I'd just get whichever is cheaper in the future.

What do you personally feel about the A02s

was it a step up from the A01s or a step down?

Or perhaps just as good or even better or the same but an attempt on Hondas end to save $.

Perhaps the A02s cost less?

** NOT SAYING THEY ARE BAD **

Personally I just like A01s and HEMP SYNERGY personally.

but would use a A02 anytime.

I haven't personally used the A02 on my vehicle, but the previous owner used them for over 100,000 miles and it obviously didn't cause any issues. We also used one on my girlfriend's '01 Civic and again, no problems. My only beef with the A02 is that for the price, I'd rather just get the Fram Tough Guard, which is almost identical and has better efficiency. We are using the TG on her Civic right now, in fact.

Just as points of information for readers and in the interest of giving appropriate/proper credit to the originator and author of the first/top pic of all the dissected Honda application filters. It originates from river_rat's dissection and filtration bench tests linked below.

Since his original picture is used here, river_rats testing results should also be pointed out imo. Of all the filters tested the Hamp and A01 finished last (equally) in filtration. This result is consistent with his other finding on the similar construction Toyota oem Denso no endcap filter also being relatively inefficient when compared to filters with traditional endcaps. Impressively imo his result was later confirmed by Amsoil ISO 4548-12 testing of the Toyota Denso oem.

Below find links to river rats pics (scroll) and go to next page for filtration results. Below that is the link to the summary of his test results.

As for Hamp or A01 I wouldn't chase either, but if left with only a choice between the two, based on r_r's testing I'd go with the least expensive.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1616368/24

http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/

^^^ river_rat's last post was 09/27/12 02:22 PM. Too bad he doesn't post here anymore ... he contributed a lot over the years.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^ True that. He's the man, lot's of respect. And pretty amazing his filtration results have stood up to ISO test results.

Yes, I was impressed how well his bench testing has correlated with some official ISO test data (ie, the Amsoil ISO graph).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back