Michelin Premier A/S VS Continental Ecoplus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I hope badtlc will realize I am not picking on him, but he said something that many people don't realize is not true - that tire warranties allow you to turn in otherwise good tires and receive some sort of discount on the next set.

Tire warranties only apply if there is something wrong with the tire itself. Things that don't apply are normal wear (other than not reaching the mileage), irregular wear, punctures and other road damage (unless there is a road hazard provision), vibration (other than when the tires are first applied), and age cracking beyond a certain timeframe.

Many tire dealers will make a concession to make a sale - and sometimes that means giving what appears to be a "warranty", but what he is really doing is working with his margins and his ability to sell used tires. Think "buying a new car with a trade-in" and you'll be close- remembering that tires have a 6 to 10 year lifespan.

Maybe you don't know what is true. 2 months ago I turned in a set of bridgestone turanzas for warranty with 35k miles on them due to cracking. This was all done through bridgestone coorporate and they told me which shop to go to to get the tread measured and the swap done. Nothing severe, but it was there. Bridgestone gave me 60% off of a new set of bridgestones of my choice, no questions asked. Tire cracking is covered on pro-rated tread warranties.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Maybe you don't know what is true. 2 months ago I turned in a set of bridgestone turanzas for warranty with 35k miles on them due to cracking. This was all done through bridgestone corporate and they told me which shop to go to to get the tread measured and the swap done. Nothing severe, but it was there. Bridgestone gave me 60% off of a new set of bridgestones of my choice, no questions asked. Tire cracking is covered on pro-rated tread warranties.

I don't think what we both wrote is incompatible. Bridgestone's warranty does cover cracks (as do pretty much all of the tire manufacturers) and there is a time limit (but that can be negotiated).

We were in the exact same position as the OP a couple months back. Going from Primacy MXVs, to either the new Premier, or the PureContact EcoPlus.

I am biased to Michelins, and they have to lose our sale. But the 8.5/32 tread depth didn't sit well at all. Just not enough tread for that kind of performance/treadlife balance. I'll let others be the field testers.

We went with the Conti, and it was a great choice. Spectacular wet performance. Not a step down at all so far.

Like the other gentleman said, the Conti is a little sportier than the Michelin, but in a positive way. It is a very comfortable yet communicative tire.

Get the PureContacts this time.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
We were in the exact same position as the OP a couple months back. Going from Primacy MXVs, to either the new Premier, or the PureContact EcoPlus.

I am biased to Michelins, and they have to lose our sale. But the 8.5/32 tread depth didn't sit well at all. Just not enough tread for that kind of performance/treadlife balance. I'll let others be the field testers.

We went with the Conti, and it was a great choice. Spectacular wet performance. Not a step down at all so far.

Like the other gentleman said, the Conti is a little sportier than the Michelin, but in a positive way. It is a very comfortable yet communicative tire.

Get the PureContacts this time.

I appreciate this; Conti's are at the top of the list.

any long term updates on the premiers? for the premium i can't see how they'd be worth it over the purecontacts. curious about the snow performance still but i'm not sure that anyone would have any reviews on that yet. tire rack surveys show the snow performance on the premiers as higher than the purecontacts, not sure who's posting those reviews though

Originally Posted By: kyoo
any long term updates on the premiers? for the premium i can't see how they'd be worth it over the purecontacts. curious about the snow performance still but i'm not sure that anyone would have any reviews on that yet. tire rack surveys show the snow performance on the premiers as higher than the purecontacts, not sure who's posting those reviews though

They have only been out since April. What kind of long term tests would you expect at this point?

The 8.5/32" initial depth is a big deal for a lot of cars that have alignment issues right off the assembly line. My car with huge caster for example will wear down the shoulder 2-3/32 faster than center. Because of this, I always pick out tires that start with 10.5/32 to 11/32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back