Amsoil EA15K50 or Fram Ultra XG10060?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which filter is the best of the best? Amsoil EA15K50 or Fram Ultra XG10060?

Anyone do any testing comparing the two brands? I heard Fram wasn't very good over the last decade and now I am seeing the Ultra line of filters mentioned here.

Any insight? I am running Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic oil currently with an Amsoil EA15K50 oil filter in my 2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe.

Thanks in advance!

The Ultra is superior in my eyes. 99%+ efficient and dual layer media vs the Amsoil which is 97%+ efficient and single layer media. Isn't the Amsoil much more expensive also?

Fram Ultra is one of the best filters out there- its as if its not even made by the same company as the entry-level orange can filter.

I'm not too familiar with the Amsoil line. I know that the Amsoil EA0 series and Royal Purple (both made by Champion Labs) are excellent- about the only thing I'd rate above the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Ultra is superior in my eyes. 99%+ efficient and dual layer media vs the Amsoil which is 97%+ efficient and single layer media. Isn't the Amsoil much more expensive also?

"97%" and "99%" don't mean anything unless you name the particle size at which each number applies. Even then, 99% at 25 microns and 97% at 20 microns are pretty darn similar.

Why not both ?
grin.gif

If we a measuring price versus value......the Fram Ultra is IMO the clear winner.

My XG3614 at $8.92 at Walmart is hard to beat. Double synthetic media that is wire-backed is a winner. In addition the efficiency is 99% at 20 microns.

The Ultra is my "go to" filter for some time now, combined with M-1 0w20 AFE. Not a better combination IMO.

Ok, thanks guys! I have 5 Amsoil filters left and once I go through those, I will start getting the FRAM Ultra filters.

Fram Ultra filters seem to be half the cost for the same filtration benefits as the Amsoil filters.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

"97%" and "99%" don't mean anything unless you name the particle size at which each number applies. Even then, 99% at 25 microns and 97% at 20 microns are pretty darn similar.

Both are rated at 20 microns but I re checked and the Amsoil is 98.7% while the Ultra is 99%+, not too far apart, if only the Amsoil were $8.97 like most Ultras.

One thing you can't find is the efficiency at 5 microns for the Amsoil while Jay has posted the Ultra is 80% at 5 microns which I doubt the Amsoil can beat with only one layer of media.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
The Ultra is my "go to" filter for some time now, combined with M-1 0w20 AFE. Not a better combination IMO.

+1 - they both have my vote and two 15K UOAs to back it up (one with an MC and one with a FU), both with AFE...

I'm sure tehy
Fram Ultra is one of the best filters out there- its as if its not even made by the same company as the entry-level orange can filter.

I'm not too familiar with the Amsoil line. I know that the Amsoil EA0 series and Royal Purple (both made by Champion Labs) are excellent- about the only thing I'd rate above the Ultra.

I could have sworn that the Amsoil filters were built by Wix using Donaldson media???

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I'm sure tehy

I could have sworn that the Amsoil filters were built by Wix using Donaldson media???

They may be, now. I seem to recall hearing that there was a change in their filter lineup some time back. Like I said, my go-to is the RP. Pep Boys stocks the RP model I use for $2 more than an Ultra equivalent, and the very very slight difference in construction is worth it in my mind. The RP is still Champion made (well technically, Champion Laboratories division of Fram Filtration).

Didn't someone post a photo on BITOG of a case of Amsoil EAO filters that were shipped from FRAM?

Since Amsoil doesn't build any oil filters, it wouldn't surprise me if FRAM, Wix, and Donaldson all supplied them.

In fact, the Bosch Distance Plus would probably a good candidate for a coat of Amsoil paint too.

And regarding cost, Amsoil filters would probably be in line with the FRAM Ultra if they were marketed directly like the FRAM instead of through their system of jobbers and independent dealers.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Didn't someone post a photo on BITOG of a case of Amsoil EAO filters that were shipped from FRAM?

Since Amsoil doesn't build any oil filters, it wouldn't surprise me if FRAM, Wix, and Donaldson all supplied them.

In fact, the Bosch Distance Plus would probably a good candidate for a coat of Amsoil paint too.

And regarding cost, Amsoil filters would probably be in line with the FRAM Ultra if they were marketed directly like the FRAM instead of through their system of jobbers and independent dealers.

Motorking says they make the Amsoil filters. As I posted in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back