SUV winter tire selection help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep it coming.

Based on the responses thus far, I am not seeing any evidence of Hakka R2's superiority over DM-V1 (not that there isn't any). I might go with DM-V1 just because it'll end up being more convenient.

Only thing about BM-V1 is speed index rating, which is good in deep snow, ice etc, but might be too loose on dry and at higher temps. I would stick to T speed index, not sure whether DM-V1 comes with that speed index.

Yeah, both the DM-V1 as well as the Hakka R2 are R-rated in that size, but I'm willing to accept some softness if that gives me great snow traction instead. These are XL-rated tires, so hopefully the sidewalls are pretty sturdy anyway.

BTW, the Altimax Arctics I have are Q-rated, and dry/warmer weather handling has never been an issue with them.

Yeah, both the DM-V1 as well as the Hakka R2 are R-rated in that size, but I'm willing to accept some softness if that gives me great snow traction instead. These are XL-rated tires, so hopefully the sidewalls are pretty sturdy anyway.

BTW, the Altimax Arctics I have are Q-rated, and dry/warmer weather handling has never been an issue with them.

Then I would get DM-V1.

Now that I read some more TR reviews, some people are in fact complaining about how soft/squishy these DM-V1s feel. If I were to go with a T-rated tire, then it would have to be the Michelins... Dang analysis paralysis...
smile.gif

Now that I read some more TR reviews, some people are in fact complaining about how soft/squishy these DM-V1s feel. If I were to go with a T-rated tire, then it would have to be the Michelins... Dang analysis paralysis...
smile.gif

I am saying bcs my LM-60 that are rated H (235/45 R17) are soft. Though, I can follow Subaru outback over Hoosier pass during blizzard with them:)

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep it coming.

Based on the responses thus far, I am not seeing any evidence of Hakka R2's superiority over DM-V1 (not that there isn't any). I might go with DM-V1 just because it'll end up being more convenient.

Only thing about BM-V1 is speed index rating, which is good in deep snow, ice etc, but might be too loose on dry and at higher temps. I would stick to T speed index, not sure whether DM-V1 comes with that speed index.

The very nature of winter tire construction and compounds often dictates the speed rating be low (lower...). A tire that maintains GOOD cold temp softness and grip will often have a difficult time staying structurally sound at the temps created at very high speeds. The compound is NOT made for high temp / high stress driving.

A lower speed rating does not always mean the tire is less stable at normal highway speeds. I drive on a NOKIAN R SUV tire with an "R" rating, and the tire performs very well at highway speeds. Yes, it is a little squirmier, and wanders a little in a straight line, but that is the nature of a soft compound, on tall, small tread blocks, heavily siped, as typically seen on a winter tire.

And my TOYO GSI-5's , which are T speed rated, are equally squirmy... but grip even better than the NOKIANS...!

I'm curious to know what the difference is between an SUV/truck winter tire and a passenger car winter tire when the tires are the same size.

I can select either type of tire in size 235/50-18 for my car. I notice that the winter SUV tires in this size cost slightly more than the winter car tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&performance=W&width=235%2F&ratio=50&diameter=18

It seems like the winter truck tires cost ~ $100 more for a set of four than comparable car tires from the same company. Is there any difference?

Usually the "SUV" version has a heavier, more durable carcass, and often deeper tread depth. For example a 2 or 3 ply sidewall vs often a 1 ply sidewall on passenger car specs. And if you look at tire weight, usually the SUV size is heavier. Not always, but frequently. And tread depth is often 14 / 32 vs 11 or 12 for passenger car sizes.

Not huge differences, just built for heavier platforms...

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I'm curious to know what the difference is between an SUV/truck winter tire and a passenger car winter tire when the tires are the same size.

I can select either type of tire in size 235/50-18 for my car. I notice that the winter SUV tires in this size cost slightly more than the winter car tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&performance=W&width=235%2F&ratio=50&diameter=18

It seems like the winter truck tires cost ~ $100 more for a set of four than comparable car tires from the same company. Is there any difference?

Depending for what car. I use normal car winter tires for my wife's Tiguan, which is actually classified as CUV (compact utility vehicle). If I had Touareg or BMW X5 (which I will probably get) I would go with SUV winter tire.

I have a rwd Hyundai Genesis with a 4.6L V8. It's about as heavy as many crossovers, but it is no truck. The few winter tires with an extra 2/32" of tread depth may worthwhile though.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I have a rwd Hyundai Genesis with a 4.6L V8. It's about as heavy as many crossovers, but it is no truck. The few winter tires with an extra 2/32" of tread depth may worthwhile though.

Nah, I would stay away from truck tires. Get high-performance winter tires. I have them on my CC, Bridgestone LM-60. They are designed for cars such as BMW 5 and 7, Mercedes E and S class etc.
It is not only depth, but those tire need to sustain high forces of very capable suspensions at high speeds or cornering.
Trust me LM-60 is extremely capable winter tire, though, you can actually see how it is wearing off:)

the Blizzak DM-V1 uses the multicell tube compound on the 1st half of the tread, which contributes to its squirminess.

If you compared the Blizzak WS-60 to LM-60.... you would notice they are very similar tires.... which... they are very similar tires.... the only difference is the tread compound..... the WS-60 gets their multicell tube/winter compound and the LM-60 gets a 100% high silica compound...

while someone at bridgestone may claim the LM-60 is designed for the Germans.... more often than not, the Germans, when they choose their winter tires to offer as part of the winter wheel/tire program, they go to the european tire companies first, such as Continental, Pirelli, Michelin, etc. ....

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
the Germans, when they choose their winter tires to offer as part of the winter wheel/tire program, they go to the european tire companies first, such as Continental, Pirelli, Michelin, etc. ....

On that note, is the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow worth adding to my consideration? This one is H-rated, but it's in the "Performance Winter/Snow" category. Does that mean better dry handling at the expense of worse snow handling?

Many many years ago, I had H-rated Michelin Pilot Alpins on my A4. While dry handling was decent, their snow/slush performance was disappointing. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

The performance winter... that's the sacriface you make.

When I had Hankook Icebear W300 and Nexen Winguard Sport.... compared to the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI and General Altimax Arctic before...

of course, snow/ice traction was going to take a hit... it's a compromise I was willing to take.

None of the tires could make it up the driveway, none of the tires could make it up the main entrance to my development.....

but... there was still a difference in the packed snow traction... in no way I found them disappointing because I had lower expectations in the first place. That was probably why you were disappointed with the Pilot Alpins.... your expectations were too high.

Where I am, I get some snow, but mostly dry, cold roads, with the occasional black ice, so... performance winter is more than adequate for me.... and I can easily survive the occasional blizzard (which I experienced in each tire for my Passat... my Golf, wore Winterforce and Green Diamond tires).

If you're priority is the snow/ice traction... then your standards may be too high for the performance winter tire.

What suv is it?

do you need 18's to clear the brakes? or are 17's an option?

The xice xi2 suv is more of an ice tire although with good snow performance the smaller voids mean it wont have "ultimate deep snow" performance.

The blizzack dm-v1 is similar to the ws-80 that came out this year.. appears to be much better for deep snow and the criss-cross voids make it stable in both forward and lateral traction.

My favorite "snowtire" isnt available in your size the conti-EWC

The yokohama ig-51v has been getting favorable reviews but no major(north american) site has reviewed them that I could find.

I'm probably going to throw down on some ws-80's ons steelies soon.

If DTD has some crazy deal I may go for the yokohama ig-51v on alloys for cheaper than the ws-80 on steelies from tirerack.
The whole 140$ shipping is killing the tirerack buzz.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
What suv is it?

Q5 most likely.

Quote:
do you need 18's to clear the brakes? or are 17's an option?

17s are an option, but I just don't need that much sidewall. The more sidewall, the more sqirrely it'll handle at speed. Plus it'll look a bit comical with such small rims. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the 18" setup.

Quote:
My favorite "snowtire" isnt available in your size the conti-EWC

Yeah, EWC and even Alitmax Arctic (which I hold in high regard) are available in 235/65/17, but they're not listed as Light Truck/SUV tires. I think I'd rather pick an SUV tire for its more rugged construction.

Quote:

The yokohama ig-51v has been getting favorable reviews but no major(north american) site has reviewed them that I could find.

Yup, the main reason I'm staying away from it is because it's somewhat of an unknown for the time being.

the Blizzak DM-V1 uses the multicell tube compound on the 1st half of the tread, which contributes to its squirminess.

If you compared the Blizzak WS-60 to LM-60.... you would notice they are very similar tires.... which... they are very similar tires.... the only difference is the tread compound..... the WS-60 gets their multicell tube/winter compound and the LM-60 gets a 100% high silica compound...

while someone at bridgestone may claim the LM-60 is designed for the Germans.... more often than not, the Germans, when they choose their winter tires to offer as part of the winter wheel/tire program, they go to the european tire companies first, such as Continental, Pirelli, Michelin, etc. ....

German cars or German market? Bcs LM-60 was never available in Germany.

Had the passenger car X-Ice2 on my mustang and they were stellar tires in every way. Maybe more bias towards clear/packed/ice road than deep snow, but in no way lacking there either.

Absolutely loved them, felt equally at home on cleared highway or 8 inch deep slush (I mean, different driving conditions and all but did great within reason).

A WS-60 has a similar tread pattern to an LM-60, and nothing else... as you mentioned, the compounds are totally different, but so is the tire carcass. The LM-60 has a much, much stiffer sidewall than the WS-60, and drives much firmer, as a high performance winter should. It also has less grip... and a higher speed rating... than the WS-60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back