kudos to ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 focus has a minor paint flaw on the hood on the corner edge by the headlight it's like build up from when the seal the edges apparently. Well I was worried ford would deny it because it chipped and kind of looks like a rock has hit it on the road and nicked the paint but ford was very prompt in saying they would repaint the whole hood and given me a loaner and a 100 dollar gas card for the rental. I am very impressed with this. All the negativity toward ford lately I thought I would share my positive experience.

This just proves that it's typically the dealer and not Ford corporate that makes or breaks customer experience. Glad to hear you have a nice dealer.

Of course, as I've said before, you and I are not the customers of a car maker. The dealers are their customers. That's why car makers back their dealers. They are backing their ultimate customer.

You and I are customers of the dealership. Not only do we need to pick the right car, but we need to pick a good dealership. One that will treat us right. If they are doing a good business with the car maker, the car maker will support them in their efforts to make their customers happy.

I can't say it enough. You and I are NOT the customers of any car maker, the dealership is their customer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This just proves that it's typically the dealer and not Ford corporate that makes or breaks customer experience. Glad to hear you have a nice dealer.

Remember someone complaining a few days ago about ford denying to replace a plastic part around the shift.

They did offer to replace it for $600 tho.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Word. The local Ford dealer here would drive anyone away from the brand forever.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Just make sure the new paintjob is equal to or better than oem.

If they are anything like our local Ford dealer, the paint job may be better than OEM. They do probably the best body work I've ever seen and it isn't just paint and go, they have an actual cook booth too.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but, no kudos at all to Ford.
All kudos goes to the dealership, who are Fords customer. The dealer wants to keep your custom so they're taking a hit to keep you happy.

If Ford ultimately paid for it/most of it (warranty labor rates are pretty sad compared to retail labor rates), sure, kudos to Ford. Kudos to the dealer, too, because warranty documentation is a hassle for them and at best the work is a break-even on cost.

I disagree that I am not the customer of the marque. Sure, the dealer is huge in the ownership experience. But when an entire lineup of vehicles has a design flaw, and the dealer simply cannot afford to fix them all, it's up to the marque to pay for it. Or not, in the case of both eras of Ford Triton head spark plug flaws.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
If Ford ultimately paid for it/most of it (warranty labor rates are pretty sad compared to retail labor rates), sure, kudos to Ford. Kudos to the dealer, too, because warranty documentation is a hassle for them and at best the work is a break-even on cost.

I disagree that I am not the customer of the marque. Sure, the dealer is huge in the ownership experience. But when an entire lineup of vehicles has a design flaw, and the dealer simply cannot afford to fix them all, it's up to the marque to pay for it. Or not, in the case of both eras of Ford Triton head spark plug flaws.

In a way you are a customer of the Marque, in the same way that I am a customer of VW.

But I've never bought a car from VW in the same way that you have never bought a car from Ford. We buy our cars from independent, franchised dealers with exclusivity contracts.
It might be pedantic, but it's correct.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

If they are anything like our local Ford dealer, the paint job may be better than OEM. They do probably the best body work I've ever seen and it isn't just paint and go, they have an actual cook booth too.

That's impossible. I've yet to see an aftermarket repaint that has the same durability as the OE finish. This is especially true for the areas that see a lot of UV exposure, such as the roof/trunklid/hood.

In addition, the texture and metallic flake probably do not match now.

Honestly, I would've left it alone. You really just did yourself a major disservice.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That's impossible. I've yet to see an aftermarket repaint that has the same durability as the OE finish. This is especially true for the areas that see a lot of UV exposure, such as the roof/trunklid/hood.

In addition, the texture and metallic flake probably do not match now.

Honestly, I would've left it alone. You really just did yourself a major disservice.

They match perfectly. The drivers-side rear quarter panel on my M5 was hit while at a funeral. They matched the OEM paint and texture EXACTLY. And the finish is just as hard as the OEM finish on the rest of the car.

While you may not have seen it, I have. Blew my mind that they were able to do it.

Obviously in the above situation "leaving it alone" was not an option
smirk.gif

So your saying that the paint that is already flaking off is of better quality than a well known high end body shops? Interesting point indeed.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
All the negativity toward ford lately I thought I would share my positive experience.

Thanks for sharing. My next vehicle will be a new Ford now.

Only way to judge the aftermarket paint for longevity is to wait for many years. I think Yogi Bera said :)

The quality of good body shop paint is mind-blowing. So it the cost. Fortunately my insurance company pays.

I have body shop paint over 12 years old on one vehicle, you still cannot tell where it was blended-in mid-fender, and yes, I still remember where to look.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The quality of good body shop paint is mind-blowing. So it the cost. Fortunately my insurance company pays.

I have body shop paint over 12 years old on one vehicle, you still cannot tell where it was blended-in mid-fender, and yes, I still remember where to look.

thumbsup2.gif

Exactly. They had 28 hours into my fender. Person who hit me paid for it. They brought me in to take a look at what they had done to the fender (completely bare of everything, no paint on the entire thing, down to the bare metal) to show they had removed any trace of the impact. They also applied a protective anti-corrosion coating to both the outside that they cleaned off as well as the inside. New trim for the doors, OEM directly from BMW was also installed using OE adhesive.

They matched the OEM paint (which looks different colours depending on ambient light, angle....etc. LeMans blue isn't what I'd call easy to match) PERFECTLY. No matter how you look at the spot that was hit, you cannot tell that it has been repainted. They matched the texture perfectly as well.

I think the secret to getting the hardness is the baking process, as I've never had respray paint/clear that is as hard as this (prior to dealing with these guys). They also did the door on the Expedition when my wife hit the van and the same situation. Perfect match colour-wise (much easier though, it is black), and just as hard as the OEM paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back