2015 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine in this vehicle has a 2.0L turbocharged plant. Will the turbo cause the engine to fail earlier than if it had no turbo? Also, anyone know of any problems with these engines? Thanks

Turbo's add complexity, heat, and, of course, power. They tend to NOT be as reliable as a non-turbo engine.

As for the 2015 WRX engine, there is no real history on it yet, too new.

The previous gen. 2.5 l turbo had its fair share of engine issues, most commonly scuffed / spun bearings, and some turbo failures as well.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
The engine in this vehicle has a 2.0L turbocharged plant. Will the turbo cause the engine to fail earlier than if it had no turbo? Also, anyone know of any problems with these engines? Thanks

a new engine initially introduced in the 2014 forester still used in the 2015 forester

the wrx version is same engine but tweaked for more performance.

it is a newish design.. but seems to have no major issues so far.

you might just want to start a new car thread.. instead of asking questions about 20 cars in 20 topics.

Based on the issues 2014 (and even some 2015) Forester XT owners have had, I'd suggest waiting until at least the 2016 MY.

I've personally experienced hard/long starts, as well as one instance of missfiring, both of which seem to have been fixed by two different ECM updates.

//

Instead of looking at this as turbo vs non-turbo, I'd look at this from a HP and performance stand point. You're not comparing two differently-sized engines, one turbo and one not, but making the same HP; you're looking at a performance model and a non-performance model.

Most performance variants come with a reliability trade-off. For Subaru, that trade-off puts usually lowers its reliability rating from excellent to average. That's a fair trade to me, but that's because I really, really enjoy the difference between the turbo offers.

No idea. A common issue in Subaru motors in the past was head gaskets in non-turbos. This issue never really happened ANY of the turbo Subaru motors. There is a bit more complexity with turbo engines however in my ownership(9yrs/172k) the turbo itself has been trouble free.

after 8-10 years it should be a maintenance concern. rebuild it or replace it proactively. it is not difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back