Purolator is listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
No "ifs" in my analysis.

All the Purolator tears I have seen on this forum are very small.

And oil filters bypass all the time without damaging engines.

Purolator has a problem that needs to be addressed.

Likewise, your irrational hysteria regarding this matter needs to be addressed too.

The sky is not falling......

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
No "ifs" in my analysis.

Likewise, your irrational hysteria regarding this matter needs to be addressed too.

Sure there are "ifs". Show me your model that comes up with your estimated flow diversion percentage. If you think I feel the sky is falling, then you better go focus on somebody else who does have that outlook. I'm STILL running a PureOne on my Tacoma, what's that say.

It's very simple ... oil filters are not supposed have tears in the media, and 99% of the people who know this will not buy and use them if they are prone to tearing.. What's so hard to understand with that thought?

BTW, bypass valve really don't open very often. Tears in the media are like having the bypass valve cracked open 100% of the time. Not a very good analogy, more "down playing" at play.
grin.gif

Get your old fluids book out and go for it.

D A R C Y ' S L A W

You could have done this home work during your time off from the forum.

Two tears like this will be just like the bypass valve being open 100% of time. Even if a bypass valve opened up for 1 minute every day for 6 months, it's total time open would be about 1/8,000 of being open 100% of the time over that 6 month period (avg 6K miles at 45 mph). Big difference.

DSCF7137a.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It's very simple ... oil filters are not supposed have tears in the media, and 99% of the people who know this will not buy and use them if they are prone to tearing.. What's so hard to understand with that thought?

BTW, bypass valve really don't open very often. Tears in the media are like having the bypass valve cracked open 100% of the time. Not a very good analogy, more "down playing" at play.
grin.gif

Oil filters shouldn't have tears or other issues, but they are manufactured products.

And yes, bypasses open all the time.

Winter is just around the corner.

D A R C Y ' S L A W

Darcy Smarcy ... why don't you do the calculations here and show everyone your analysis.

And yes, bypasses open all the time.

No they don't. Jim Allen has spoken about this many times, and he has real data from a delta-p sensor setup on his truck to prove it - even with cold weather start-ups. I'm sure you have seen his multiple posts on the subject.

Oil filters shouldn't have tears or other issues, but they are manufactured products.

You debate out of both sides of your mouth. Let people decide for themselves if having some big tears are worth using or not. My bet is ... not.
grin.gif

D A R C Y ' S L A W

Darcy Smarcy ... why don't you do the calculations here and show everyone your analysis.

A stack of calculations and all the facts in the world won't help you understand.

Pictures, affidavits, sworn testimony, etc., are all wasted on you.

You're in the realm of beliefs, not facts.

There's no turning back for you.

Let people decide for themselves if having some big tears are worth using or not. My bet is ... not.
grin.gif

Never seen a big tear here except for the FRAM Ultra posted in another thread.

It had the media torn away from the end caps.

I certainly wouldn't use a FRAM Ultra on any of my BMW's.

D A R C Y ' S L A W

A stack of calculations and all the facts in the world won't help you understand.

Pictures, affidavits, sworn testimony, etc., are all wasted on you.

You're in the realm of beliefs, not facts.

There's no turning back for you.

LOL ... yeah, me and 99% of the rest of the members who've chimed in on the tearing issue.

I don't think you've changed anyone's mind to use torn Purolators with confidence. Can you tell me of one member who has said: "Yeah, ol' Darcy (and SilverC6) was right ... we should all use torn Purolators because his theory proves it doesn't matter if there are big holes in the media!".
thumbsup2.gif

Let people decide for themselves if having some big tears are worth using or not. My bet is ... not.
grin.gif

Never seen a big tear here except for the FRAM Ultra posted in another thread.

It had the media torn away from the end caps.

I certainly wouldn't use a FRAM Ultra on any of my BMW's.

Yeah, agreed. Go back and read what I said in that thread.

IMO that little weak spring that Fram uses on it's bypass opens a lot more than you think. I do not think spin on oil filters are precisionly built items and the tolerances in manufacturing and materials varies greatly.

The Purolator tears are clearly documented on this site and the conversation is getting old.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
IMO that little weak spring that Fram uses on it's bypass opens a lot more than you think. I do not think spin on oil filters are precisionly built items and the tolerances in manufacturing and materials varies greatly.

Using a coil spring like Fram (and others) use for the bypass valve makes it easier to design a bypass valve with the required pressure setting. Those type of bypass valves are designed/built more precise than you'd think. The coil spring being interpreted as "weak" has nothing to do with it's quality or operation ... it has to do withe the required spring constant and pre-load along with the surface area of the valve itself to open at the correct bypass pressure setting.

The Purolator tears are clearly documented on this site and the conversation is getting old.

I was thinking the same thing.

People are still talking about orange can failures that happened 20+ years ago ... so might expect the same for the the Purolator tearing problems.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

I was thinking the same thing.

Me too. Kind of amazing that my questions are ignored, but folks are happy to bring other arguments into this thread.

Easily the most salient post in this thread.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

Easily the most salient post in this thread.

Oil filters don't run in bypass 100% of the time ... tears do.

Yes, Purolator has a problem that needs to be address ... and more importantly rectified.

IMO, there is very little "hysteria" going on over the issue. Lots of talk, but no any real "hysteria". Normal behavior considering the issue.

No, the "sky is not falling", but maybe Purolator's sales are. But some here think others think the sky is falling because their viewpoint of constitutes "hysteria" is very skewed.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back