Mazda and its rust issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZZ

In salt belt, the DPW drops liquid calcium chloride on the roads before the snow starts to build, that stuff ruins everything underneath a car, then they dump tons of sand, salt mix on the road, if you dont do anything to protect your car in 5 yrs or so the underside is trashed, brake lines rotted and rust starts popping thur the wheel arches, rockers etc.

Living in the rust belt my next vehicle will be rust proofed yearly. Carwell and Krown are two quality appliers. Worth the $100 fee to me.

Not so bad here but always wet. I noticed on the WRX there are couple cast/forged parts with machined surfaces that never were painted. When I put the summer wheels on I cleaned and dried then blasted Corrosion X let soak into the crevices wiped excess and sprayed well with Amsoil HDMP.

I have rust proofed my 01 Protege every year and it still had to have new quarters welded in. I bought cheap aftermarket quarter panels which were double galvanized. Time will tell how it holds up.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
In salt belt, the DPW drops liquid calcium chloride on the roads before the snow starts to build...

I swear that Livingston County MI dumps as much CaCl2 brine on dirt roads in summer for dust abatement as they do on all the paved roads in winter.

I'm always considering Mazda when purchasing a vehicle. I think their driving dynamics will entice me one of these days into a purchase.

I've read the complaints about rust, but they seem hit or miss. There are lots of variables to take into account. I think we need to see pics to determine if the OP's complaints are valid.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd do something simple like a Fluid Film or another product.

In Maryland, I'm guessing there are shops that offer some of the undercoating brands mentioned in this thread. There aren't any in my area.

On the Hyundai Sonata I owned until recently, they did major cost cutting on rust prevention. Either that or they just don't know how to prevent rust The body looked good, but the subframes and other parts underneith were getting more rust than my older VW and Nissan.

I think some of the manufacturers have been cutting corners on their factory rust proofing. My wife has an '03 MPV we purchased new and it's rusting around the rear wheel wells. My '04 Corolla is rusting just in front of the rear wheel wells too...odd thing is my '99 Corolla didn't have any rust on it and it was driven in the same locations and in the same conditions as the '04 model...Wouldn't surprise me if they were cutting corners on rust proofing, they try to save a penny everywhere possible!

Our workplace has hundreds of cars parked on the lot. The only late models cars (less than 10 year old) plagued with rust issues are Mazda. There is a 5 year old Mazda which has all of its wheel wells rusted through. It is absolutely shocking.

Originally Posted By: Olas
A combination of planned obsolescence and cost-cutting at the QC stage.

My 32 year old vw has no rust on it whatsoever, but then stuff was built to last in those days...

Funny, my 78 Scirocco rusted clean through the strut towers by the time is was 5 years old--and in general, cars seem to both last longer and be a lot more rust-tolerant than in the past. Ahh, the good old days...

I think location and problems with specific models are more likely. Mazda has always had rust issues in areas where cars rust.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
ZZ

In salt belt, the DPW drops liquid calcium chloride on the roads before the snow starts to build, that stuff ruins everything underneath a car, then they dump tons of sand, salt mix on the road, if you dont do anything to protect your car in 5 yrs or so the underside is trashed, brake lines rotted and rust starts popping thur the wheel arches, rockers etc.

I know that, I was just wondering where in MD the OP was because certain parts of the state get more snow (and road salt) then others. I am wondering if they live in the parts of MD that get more snow. Around Baltimore a car really shouldn't rust that much until it's well over 10 years old.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
You have a corrosion warranty, use it!

Do you understand what the corrosion warranty actually covers?

Quote:
Rust or Corrosion Warranty: This warranty covers the vehicle's sheet metal, and protects you from rust and corrosion that are severe enough to cause a hole - surface rust is not covered.

My 03 Protégé5 is getting some rust around the back window and some under the hood.

I bought it used and don't know how well the previous owner cleaned it. It's not ready for the scrap yard. But 11+ years and just under 170K miles now, we'll see if she gets to 250K before it's unsafe to drive.

Not impressed, but not alarmed either.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I have rust proofed my 01 Protege every year and it still had to have new quarters welded in. I bought cheap aftermarket quarter panels which were double galvanized. Time will tell how it holds up.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
I have a 2014 Mazda 3, while the engine and transmission are excellent, the factory welds are rusting. I'm ready to junk this car and move onto something with better quality such as a Subaru, Honda, or Toyota. It's a shame that Mazda can't get with it after divorcing Ford. The engine and transmission are great, but the RUST..... Not acceptable Mazda. I'm trading in my 2014 3 with 15k miles for something better. Fold Mazda since you can't get minor rust issues situated.

Have you tried contacting the Dealership? Or Mazda?
Just asking!

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I think every >3 year old Mazda I see in WI has the same rusted rear wheel arches. It's almost a design element it's so pervasive.

Could it have anything to do with the owners' love for rolling the rear wheel arches, and not using a heat gun to avoid paint cracking?

I think that it's just the Hit or Miss with the Mazda's.
I do know others in my area with the same car as my daughter's car('06 mazda3) and they have less issues with rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back