Benefit in cleaning intake manifold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be any noticeable difference in cleaning out an intake manifold?

This is what mine looks like:
IMG_0659_zps71da3231.jpg

IMG_0656_zpsb00ede6c.jpg

IMG_0651_zpsa916d0c4.jpg

IMG_0648_zpscdc5a0c1.jpg

I can't tell from the pics if the manifold of off the car or still on the engine! Certainly, if the manifold is off, clean it.

Since you've got the upper half off, why not give it a clean - I find brake cleaner works well. Obviously you'll do the throttle body too. As for the lower section, I wouldn't go removing it just for the sake of cleaning, and I wouldn't clean while it's still on the engine. So I'd leave it as is.

Hope you're changing the rear spark plugs while you're in there!

Rather...fluffy in there. I'm curious, prior to this disassembly and discovery, have you ever done any of the Seafoam or other "rinses" on this? I suppose I can assume mine is "fluffy" with deposits at 124K. Without any dismantling, anything I should or can do about it or just leave it be if I'm of no mind to disassemble? Thanks for the pics..

Last edited:
The manifold is off the car. As is the lower part as I am changing injectors too.

Is it worth the hassle though?
Will there be a difference other than me knowing it's clean?

Since its off, clean it as best u can but I would not make it a major project. Maybe spend an hour or so on it. Berrymans chemtool worked a whole lot better than brake cleaner or everything else I tried. When I cleaned the the manifold on my beater car, the only difference I noticed was in my head, ha.

I'd use Castrol Superclean, a lye-based cleaner. Just don't go soaking it overnight as it can attack the aluminum.

Since it's already off, sure, clean it up. As others said though, I wouldn't go making it a major project. And sad to say, but yep, the main difference will be in the mind - but hey, do it once, do it right. Mind you, you've gotta draw the line somewhere..."Since I'm this far into it, I might as well pull the heads for new guides and seats..." Or maybe that's just me! Nice to see you doing a thorough job and breathing new life into the old girl.

If you have the time, soak it in something like kerosene over night and use a can of thottle body cleaner after. Won't make a huge difference, but since you've pulled it off - go ahead and clean it as best you can. Get a new set of gaskets while you're at it.

As I've said before - an inline oil separator is a worthwhile investment for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back