Castrol 0w20 Professional H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is nuts...
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/27AE6BF1E32EDFCD80257B78007C10FC/$File/CBAY-998D9K.pdf

VI of 220 for 0w20. Can't find where to buy it though. Dealer only?

Can't open the link.
Is it an SN oil?
The reason I ask is that the original Edge SM 0W-20 did have a 220 VI but the formulation changed entirely when they released the SN version.
A number of members stocked up on the SM oil while it was still available.

All of the high VI talk is getting me curious. Are high VI's achieved mostly with the base oil, or predominantly through the use of VII's?

If it's VII's would that tend to lead to loss of VI and increased cold viscosity over the life of the oil that would be more pronounced than an oil of initially lower VI?

I was able to the PDF open. Copied information:

Description
Castrol EDGE Professional with Fluid Strength TechnologyTM is Castrol’s strongest and most advanced range of engine
oils.
Its unique adaptive strength reduces metal-to-metal contact across a range of different driving speeds.
Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20 gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from the latest
high-performance, efficient technology engines requiring the lowest viscosity oils.
Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20 is co-engineered with Honda for the latest generation engines.
Micro-filtered and with its signature fluorescent colour it is your guarantee of Professional quality.
Castrol EDGE Professional. Strength to Perform - Freedom to Drive.
Application
Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20 is suitable for use in automotive gasoline engines where the manufacturer
recommends an API SN, ILSAC GF-5 or earlier specification 0W-20 lubricant.
Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20 is co-engineered with Honda for use in Honda gasoline engines that require a 0W-
20 lubricant.
Advantages
Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20
• Maximises short and long term engine performance
• Improves engine efficiency, independently qualified
• Delivers unsurpassed levels of protection across a variety of driving conditions and temperatures
• Reduces engine deposits to help maximise engine response

Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 8.9
Viscosity, CCS -35C (0W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 3860
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 39
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 220
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 220
Product Performance Claims
API SN
ILSAC GF5

HTHS and MRV would have really proved interesting, but I've come to not expect it from Castrol.

@DBMaster: VII's are pretty dang tough now days, aren't they? With OCI's pushing out farther don't they almost have to unless the shearing would be calculated to stop at a point that is still acceptable. Especially considering they developed this with Honda?

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
All of the high VI talk is getting me curious. Are high VI's achieved mostly with the base oil, or predominantly through the use of VII's?

If it's VII's would that tend to lead to loss of VI and increased cold viscosity over the life of the oil that would be more pronounced than an oil of initially lower VI?

The base oil VI is going to be in the 135-140 range. The very high VI 0W-20 is achievable due to the use of a new type of star or multibranched ultra high VI polymethacrylate (PMA) polymer that is very shear stable and also has a low treat rate.

It's interesting that it was "co-engineered with Honda" but I just read in Lubes 'N' Greases that Honda USA has renewed it's contract with CoP to be the supply of their OEM lubricating oils for the next three years.

So this Castrol oil may have been a still birth since they didn't get the Honda USA contract. I'll have to check with Honda Canada to see if Idemitsu is still the supplier of it's motor oil.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
From searching Google, it appears to be a European oil. No North American sites about it

Yup, the Professional H seems to be European market product only. Strange. Doesn't Honda allow 0w-20 oils in their cars in North America?

What we do get in North America is Professional V, alas its VI is nowhere near as impressive. Probably found at Volvo dealers since that's what it was designed for.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Can't open the link.
Is it an SN oil?
The reason I ask is that the original Edge SM 0W-20 did have a 220 VI but the formulation changed entirely when they released the SN version.
A number of members stocked up on the SM oil while it was still available.

If I remember correctly, the first Edge 5w30 was also an extremely good oil and SN killed it...well maybe not _killed_ it, but watered down the VI substantially.

I hope this makes it to Canadian dealerships but I doubt it. All of Honda's ATF/CVT fluid is by Idemitsu still and since the Canadian market is a much lower volume, big oil companies like BP probably won't give the volume discounts Honda wants.

Good luck getting accurate PDS from BP. Multiple suppliers all over the world.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I hope this makes it to Canadian dealerships but I doubt it. All of Honda's ATF/CVT fluid is by Idemitsu still and since the Canadian market is a much lower volume, big oil companies like BP probably won't give the volume discounts Honda wants.

The last time I checked the bottled CDN Honda/Acura 0W-20 was still made by Idemitsu in the States and had a pretty decent 200 VI plus 600 ppm moly but was still only an SM oil. It's certainly more appealing than the CoP made stuff Honda USA has switched to.
IMO it's second only to TGMO in an OTC 0W-20 but it is 2 bucks/L dearer.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So I guess this is what Honda/Acura in Europe are getting in the their OEM oil.

No such thing as Acura in Europe! It's just for you folks.

No, Acura is a brand invented by Honda to try and offer more up-market vehicles without the 'stigma' of the Honda badge, which is associated with small runabouts. It is a US-only thing (also Canada?) - the rest of the world has Honda NSXs, Honda Integras, Honda Legends etc.

Lincoln is part of the Ford family.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Lincoln is part of the Ford family.

And for many years were all simply rebadged Fords with a few extra options. It's not quite as bad as it used to be, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back