Mazda and its rust issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Mazda 3, while the engine and transmission are excellent, the factory welds are rusting. I'm ready to junk this car and move onto something with better quality such as a Subaru, Honda, or Toyota. It's a shame that Mazda can't get with it after divorcing Ford. The engine and transmission are great, but the RUST..... Not acceptable Mazda. I'm trading in my 2014 3 with 15k miles for something better. Fold Mazda since you can't get minor rust issues situated.

I own a 2008 Mazda 6 that will have it,s 7 year birthday next January. It sits on the street all year around in a country, that are in the European rust belt. Is has absolutely no rust in the body at all. and only very minor surface rust on the suspension parts. It has however got anti rust treatment 3 times since new.

Yet back in October you were crowing about how perfect Mazda is, and in June you were calling Subaru "junk".

Funny how things change.

You have a corrosion warranty, use it!

I am having a hard time figuring out if the post was a knee-jerk reaction out of frustration or if you are just trolling.

Well anyway!

Mazda has had rust issues with their cars recently. IMHO, this is too early in a vehicles life to start rusting. There is lots on the web about Mazda rust issues especially with the Mazda 3 & 6.

My daughters '06 Mazda3 had it's share or rust when it was just 3 years old(in 2009) in the wheel wells. And then the rust started to appear in the 3rd brake light area of the trunk. Now, on the hood and even on flat spots(no welds/seams/creases) on different panels.

I have seen some vehicles just like hers(same year/model) that are better and some that are really bad!

*My wifes '01 Lexus has nothing! (I expect this from Lexus) 13yrs old

*My 2004 Altima is juuuuuust starting in one quarter panel! 10 yrs old

*But the Mazda has it's share in various areas of the exterior. I just try to keep up with it on a regular basis! 8 yrs old and started rusting in the 3rd yr...maybe even earlier!

A combination of planned obsolescence and cost-cutting at the QC stage.

My 32 year old vw has no rust on it whatsoever, but then stuff was built to last in those days...

Ok, this is the observations of a Montrealer.

Cars rust here before your eyes while waiting for the traffic light to change.

Mazda: The 2010 Mazda 3 Hatches seem to be holding up ok.

Prior years and recent stuff is very hit and miss.

I had a buddy I worked with say he had to replace all 4 doors due to rust on his Mazda 3. I don't remember the year, but it was 3 years old at the time. I think it was a 2008 or somewhere thereabout.

My girlfriends 2010 3 Sport hatch is holding up on the sheet metal well, but underneath it is starting to look bad.

She only has ~6,000 km on the car as an ultra low mileage vehicle. She is a nervous driver so we always use my Fit. Also the Fit seems more open as we have a 4 year old daughter still in a car seat.

But in traffic, I see some 2009 Mazda 3 sedans with rust pouring out of every opening in the sheet metal.

Around the side mirrors, trunk, all the door handles etc.

The theory or speculation I heard at school is that Mazda tried to use very low nickel recycled sheet metal and hoped that the zinc and paint would keep corrosion away.

Well, it didn't work very well.

The older cars up here that we see that have the least rust are the Toyotas.

You can see old white boxy Toyotas without a spec of rust up here still.

Nervous Mazda owners get their cars undercoated every year to the point that all the bushings, boots and seals need replacement as they disintegrate from the oil.

Hondas start to really rust after the 10 year mark up here, and people keep them because the engines really hold up even if the burn oil.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
You have a corrosion warranty, use it!

I am having a hard time figuring out if the post was a knee-jerk reaction out of frustration or if you are just trolling.

+1

don't you have 5yrs of factory rust perforation warranty to begin with ?

That means that your 2014 should be good until, say, 2019?

Go talk to your Mazda regional rep and see what they can do for you.

Q.

What welds are rusting? Up here, every new car has some rust underneath. The knuckles on my focus weren't painted and they started to get surface rust, for example. I haven't noticed the CX-5s rusting and those have been around for two winters now.

I was hoping that their divorce from Ford would allow them to leave the rust issues behind. Looks like they took the rust issues ... Fords always seemed to rust worse than anything.

As much as I dislike rust this early in a vehicle life, and dislike Mazada for having rust issues, I find it hard to belive that whatever rust you are seeing underneath is of any consequence. Shameful yes, but anything beyond superficial? Spray with some oil, motor on.

[Well, use a proper oil meant for undercoating.]

Originally Posted By: Falken
i heard at school is that Mazda tried to use very low nickel recycled sheet metal and hoped that the zinc and paint would keep corrosion away.

I cant speak to the recycled part but its true high quality sheet metal rust much less.
The difference between stuff i buy from the sheet metal fabrication shop for doing body repairs and the cheap scrap metal from auto body supply stores and HD is like night and day.
It does cost 2X the price though.
Nervous Mazda owners get their cars undercoated every year to the point that all the bushings, boots and seals need replacement as they disintegrate from the oil.

There are products superior to oil based that one application will last 5 year in winter/summer driving or almost permanently in summer only driving.
The stuff actually protects rubber and stops the rust from getting into bushings. Again its very pricey but you get what you pay for.

I have seen a LOT of Mazda 3 sedans rusting around the CMSL that's integrated into the trunk lid. Seems like that opening wasn't properly painted and sealed from water intrusion.

I undercoat my cars right before winter by myself with Fluid Film. Excellent protection.

I live in Maine and I wouldnt say Sub, or Toyotas any better LOL

Where is the car rusting, I paint the underside of all my cars with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator, top coat with Chasis Black epoxy paint and then hit the underside with their heavy duty wax rust inhiboter, then flood all the subframes, doors, rockers and hatch and hood with Fluid Film.

Worst cars up this way are Subarus, after 4 or so years the wheel arches and rockers rot to [censored].

Ok, this is the observations of a Montrealer.

Cars rust here before your eyes while waiting for the traffic light to change.

Mazda: The 2010 Mazda 3 Hatches seem to be holding up ok.

Prior years and recent stuff is very hit and miss.

I had a buddy I worked with say he had to replace all 4 doors due to rust on his Mazda 3. I don't remember the year, but it was 3 years old at the time. I think it was a 2008 or somewhere thereabout.

My girlfriends 2010 3 Sport hatch is holding up on the sheet metal well, but underneath it is starting to look bad.

I don't know what part of Maryland the OP is from, but here in Baltimore, and places further east and south in the state, car rust is not really not that much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back