Toyota V8 : 2UZ-FE : Mobil Formula S2 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I recently bought a 2005 Toyota Landcruiser 100 with the v8 4.7L 2UZ-FE engine. It had 113,800km (70,700 miles) on the clock. According to the previous owner it had done approx. 7000km (4350 miles) on the oil, which was Mobil Formula S2 10w40.
I have never done a UOA so i thought i would make start with this vehicle and see what i can learn. I used an oil lab here in Australia, Roktex (the reports don't look as good as Blackstone but hopefully they're comparable).
Here is the link to the report for this first oil change.
http://www.roktex.com.au/viewTestResults?order=A89001
According to the lab, all is ok. Can anyone see anything alarming or interesting?

Now I'm trying to work out which oil to run in this thing. The book states 10w30 as being best. I had one of these smooth motors in a previous car and i always put castrol edge 5w30 in it. I'll probably run Nulon or Penrite's dexos1 5w30 oil in it, and maybe 10w40 in summer.
I hope someone finds this useful and can give me some pointers.
I will keep posting the reports as i get them done.
Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:
4350 miles? that's it?

with a TBN of 6.1, your wasting the oil. Run at least 10k miles then do a UOA. your wear numbers look decent, other then fuel dilution I see no issue, and even the fuel dilution depends on how they calculate it

I'll have to hunt down my last UOA. Mine is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia, same motor. All my Blackstone UOA's have come back with stellar numbers. It has been on a steady diet of M1, PP, PU all 5W-30 for 110k. All have been 7500-ish miles for many years.

At 70K miles you engine is just about broken-in and ready for a long life. I have a Toyota 4.7 V8 4Runner with 130K on the clock. It's had a hard life pulling a trailer, dirt roads and lots of short runs. I'll have a UOA coming up in a couple of weeks. I use a 0w-30 oil and it does not burn a drop between oil changes. I also consider my engine just broken-in and ready for a long life, as well. Stick with a 0w-30 or a 5w-30 oil. You don't need a 40 weight oil.

I wondered if the 40w would be better for the hot summer (Australian) driving I do, where it oftens gets to be 45 deg C in the hot parts. I thought the 40w oil may provide some benefit in this climate, but then reading some of the posts on BITOG it seems that the thinner oil can actually help the engine run cooler where the manufacturer has designed it to use these thinner weights. The toyota book suggests 5w30 or 10w30 in cold climate but also lists 20w50 and 15w40 presumably for hotter climates according to the graph in the owner's manual, so I just want to use whatever weight will protect the engine for longevity rather than fuel consumption.
Ive got 5w30 oil in it now http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Full_Sy...l/#.VCFd1q4_7bU
The oil pressure guage seems to be running quite similar to how it was with the 40w.
Thanks for all the help. Andrew

Hmmm...unfortunately my stash is full, and there's no room for something like that Nulon in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back