Transmission Fluid suggestions requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Lincoln TC with 96,000 miles. I just dropped the transmission pan, no drain on the Torque Converter,and changed the filter and fluid. Only got 4.20 qts of old fluid out and. I refilled with motorcraft mercon v fluid as recommended by manufacturer.

Prior to the part fluid change my TC shifted to O/D lockup at 39 MPH. After just a few miles of driving it now shifts to O/D lockup at 36 MPH. The fluid in the tranny was always serviced by the local LTC dealer. The fluid I drained looked dirty with the normal amount of sludge mud on the magnetic. I saw no visible metal particles in the pan or filter.

I intend to drain it again in a few days using the pump out at the cooler line to get most of the old stuff out. I'd like to use AMSOIL ATF synthetic in this 4R70W transmission but have been advised against it.

I'd like to know others thoughts on this.

I see no reason why you wouldn't want to run a superior synthetic tranny fluid.

It sounds like the tranny is healthy. Several drain/fills or suction out of the dipstick would be very healthy.

What was the reason given not to use Amsoil? As long as they say it meets spec that is what I would use unless you want to do short interval changes.

Originally Posted By: KenB
.. I'd like to use AMSOIL ATF synthetic in this 4R70W transmission but have been advised against it....

Who advised you and what was the reason. Amsoil has two types synthetic ATF, OE MultiVehicle and top of the line Signature Series Syn MV both recommended for your vehicle.

Can't see how you could go wrong with either but the SS looks to exceed any spec you could/would require. Below is the link to your vehicle specs and capacities.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2003+LINCOLN+TOWN CAR+W

Any full synthetic universal multivehicle ATF that mentions the spec on the bottle or datasheet can be used.
Amsoil, Mobil1, RedLine, RoyalPurple.... are all excellent options.

I've been told by several ford mechanics the 4r70w transmission was real sensitive to other types of Mercon V fluids.

This tranny underneath the pan was bright and shiny as it should be running in oil. Looked real good.

I'm 70 years old and would like to use the synthetic amsoil atf. In my area I can't find a good tech that i can trust. In view of my age and health I don't want to do this very often. I'm an old Vet with two crash landings, let someone else drive the plane and my body doesn't like crawling around under the car.

I have always used their 0w-30 and 10w-30 in all my engines and it is some good oil.

Fellows thanks for the quick responses. Ken

The only reason not to would be the cost. Supertech Mercon V from Walmart is about $4.27 a quart and works fine. I could see using a synthetic if you're going for long drain intervals, but a transmission has pretty long intervals as it is so I'd just feel more comfortable changing it more often and just using the regular Mercon V. At least that way you can change the filter and clean out the magnet. Plus it's a 2003, how much longer were you expecting it to last? Only guess at the earlier shift, maybe the fluid level is higher or lower than before.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Thank you! I would go with Amsoil and not worry.

+1 Thanks for your service.

welcome2.gif

+2 for Amsoil! Great stuff in these Ford transmissions (and all the others i can think of). Have someone do a line off fluid exchange for you if your not doing it.
It will change as much of the fluid as possible at one shot. Live worry free for a long time.

KenB, firstly Welcome!

If you are going the full synthetic route and want to forget about the fluid for as long as possible, then have a spin on filter installed and buy a filter magnet jacket to go around the filter.

Keeping contaminants out of the fluid will greatly extend the life of the fluid and protect the transmission. The filter in the pan only filters out large particles (about ~100 microns).

I would recommend having a filter housing installed that can take a large Fram Ultra in a common size that costs about $10 at Walmart. In transmission service, it could last as long as the fluid.

Have the filter housing installed vertically facing the ground. If possible, install it somewhere where you can more easily get to it and where a large pan could be placed underneath without obstruction between the filter and the pan.

When it is time to change the transmission fluid and / or filter, you can then easily remove the filter and do a cooler line flush through the filter housing itself.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
KenB, firstly Welcome!

If you are going the full synthetic route and want to forget about the fluid for as long as possible, then have a spin on filter installed and buy a filter magnet jacket to go around the filter.

Keeping contaminants out of the fluid will greatly extend the life of the fluid and protect the transmission. The filter in the pan only filters out large particles (about ~100 microns).

I would recommend having a filter housing installed that can take a large Fram Ultra in a common size that costs about $10 at Walmart. In transmission service, it could last as long as the fluid.

Have the filter housing installed vertically facing the ground. If possible, install it somewhere where you can more easily get to it and where a large pan could be placed underneath without obstruction between the filter and the pan.

When it is time to change the transmission fluid and / or filter, you can then easily remove the filter and do a cooler line flush through the filter housing itself.

A filter is a good idea, but an inline Magnefine will do the trick and is $20 and a 15 minute install.

I have driven countless miles in panther bodies with AOD-E and later 4r70/4r75 transmissions. The AOD-E's were pretty sketchy. The 4r70s were stout transmissions, even when abused pretty hard. In my personal 4R70s, in a Mercury Grand Marquis and an F150 I just changed the trans oil with Castrol MERCON V. The only thing I can say is that the Ford filters fit better, but I never had any issues with my transmissions, and I was not easy on them. I did put B&M deep transmission pans on both of my 4r70s, and an external cooler on the 150. I towed a 5000lb trailer behind my F150 for thousands of miles, locked out the O/D and had no issues. I am sure the Amsoil is great oil and all, but many times "PERFECT" (AMSOIL) takes more of your money while getting in the way of "better than you will probably ever need" (Castrol), especially since I dont think anyone runs Town Cars half as hard as I ran my F150 with a trailer behind it. Not to make a short story long, but I am sure any good name brand MERCON V will be just fine. I prefer Castrol.

Where's the maxlife crowd?

Anyways, when I was running a high mileage AODE I just ran whatever "brand name" Mercon V was available. Add a little lubeguard red and it should be good for many miles.

The 4R70W's were pretty good if they were MY1998 or later, or had received the MY1998 changes. Otherwise, they could be just as sketchy as the AOD-E's.

The Jerry mod, put together by a former Ford transmission engineer, has always been the ticket.

I'm 70 years old and would like to use the synthetic amsoil atf. In my area I can't find a good tech that i can trust. In view of my age and health I don't want to do this very often. I'm an old Vet with two crash landings, let someone else drive the plane and my body doesn't like crawling around under the car.

If you lived near me I would do it for you for nothing, only because your 70 and a vet!

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Lincoln TC with 96,000 miles. I just dropped the transmission pan, no drain on the Torque Converter,and changed the filter and fluid. Only got 4.20 qts of old fluid out and. I refilled with motorcraft mercon v fluid as recommended by manufacturer.

Prior to the part fluid change my TC shifted to O/D lockup at 39 MPH. After just a few miles of driving it now shifts to O/D lockup at 36 MPH. The fluid in the tranny was always serviced by the local LTC dealer. The fluid I drained looked dirty with the normal amount of sludge mud on the magnetic. I saw no visible metal particles in the pan or filter.

I intend to drain it again in a few days using the pump out at the cooler line to get most of the old stuff out. I'd like to use AMSOIL ATF synthetic in this 4R70W transmission but have been advised against it.

I'd like to know others thoughts on this.

What about Castol High Milage ATF or Max Life ATF.
Max Life is Synthetic.

Also are you making sure your filter is plugged in good?

Also did you clean off the magnet in the pan?

*** Just asking ***

Personally I like Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF
Full Synthetic Multi-v
ehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid

Full Synthetic Multi-v
ehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid
Description
Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission
Fluid is a technologically advanced, low viscosity
formulation specially designed to deliver performance and maximum fuel efficiency for modern automatic transmissions.
It is blended with premium base stocks, a balanced additive package and is fully approved by both Ford and GM for use in
vehicles requiring their latest ATF specifications. In addition to approval from the two major US auto manufacturers,
Transmax Full Synthetic Mutli-Vehicle ATF exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard created by
Japanese automobile manufacturers. This standard is recognized by Japanese OEM’s in certifying ATF for use in their
vehicles.
Advantages
Full Synthetic, low viscosity formulation
OEM approved and licensed by Ford (MERCON® LV) and GM (DEXRON® -VI)
Low viscosity formula for maximum fuel efficiency in modern automatic transmissions
Enhanced friction durability for smooth transmission performance
Superior high temperature protection to effectively resist oxidation
Unsurpassed protection against copper corrosion
Warranty and Protection Requirements
Exceeds
all pas
s
enger
car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for vehicles, transmissions or power
steering service where a DEXRON®-VI or MERCON® LV type ATF is specified

Answers to some questeions asked:

Dropped the pan, gasket was like new... reused it.

Removed dipstick factory plug from pan... Cleaned magnet. Replaced old filter with new MotorCraft filter. Let the transmission drain / drip for more than 12 hours (afternoon and overnight). Re-installed gasket and pan, set inch pound torque wrench to 120 in lbs = 10 ft lbs per factory service manual. Factory had installed one pan bolt to tight and pulled 2 threads on bolt removal. I used my die and cleaned bolt threads and cleaned the case threads with a new tap. This bolt held the proper torque when re-installed.

Everything was spotlessly clean when re-installed.

To the offers to do it for me or help me... I thank each and everyone of you for the offers. I still have my limbs and no matter how UN-comfortable I must make this old shell work hard or it will quit on me.

To everyone, you have given me much good information to digest. You have eased my mind about concerns that I had about lubricants and filters for this LTC tranny. I intend to keep this 03 LTC in good condition and use it for as long as I am allowed to drive.

Again thanks to everyone for calming my concerns. KenB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back