How Is The A/C Oil Filter Instead of Tearolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 19 year old neighbor asked me about a/c oil filters for his 2005 Chevy because he heard that purolator oil filters were no good anymore from his auto shop teacher. I told him last i heard the a/c oil filters were good if they were not the E-cores.. Is that still the case?

Wow it seems that everyone in the auto trade has heard to stay away from purolaters.. That was my go to filter for years i used them on my own cars and the engines we rebuild, now we steer clear of them. I hope they fix this quality control issue soon!

In today's world with the internet, word does spread pretty fast. I'd say your assessment of the AC Delcos is correct. Use the non-ecore style if possible IMO.

Yep i really like the non e core AC Delco filters and they seem to be a good bargain too.

Remember that you can always recommend him as Fram.
smile.gif

Problem is his is a pf-52 and his dads Cadillac is a pf-61 i don't see many non e cores in those numbers around here. They seem to be all ending in E which means e core junk as he puts it.

The PF52 is a great bargain fitler for the money, tons of media and good construction.

I see the non e core AC Delcos in that PF 52 size at Autzone, but kinda overpriced compared to walmart.

How are the AC filters numbered these days? Do all the ecores have an E suffix to the part number? The last time I bought AC filters was back in the early 1990s, I think, when Walmart Canada used to carry them at a ridiculously low price.

Originally Posted By: Garak
How are the AC filters numbered these days? Do all the ecores have an E suffix to the part number? The last time I bought AC filters was back in the early 1990s, I think, when Walmart Canada used to carry them at a ridiculously low price.

I believe the ecore models do have the "E" suffix on the part number.

Both of those are available on RockAuto in E & Classic.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem using an A/CDelco E-core, it's the cheaper ones that I don't like. I opened a PF-61E a couple years back and didn't see any issues.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I believe the ecore models do have the "E" suffix on the part number.

Thanks, when our Walmarts had them, they really did have everyday low prices on filters. They were about half the price of a Fram orange can, and a third of a Motorcraft (only at the dealer). To get an FL1A equivalent with an ADBV in those days at a good price made the AC an easy choice.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Problem is his is a pf-52 and his dads Cadillac is a pf-61 i don't see many non e cores in those numbers around here. They seem to be all ending in E which means e core junk as he puts it.

Try rockauto. I use PF-52s on my Equinox (longer version of the PF-47.) I usually buy them 3-5 at a time to offset the cost of the shipping. Cheapest non e-core filters I have seen.

As bad a rap that the E-cores get , the cases are built pretty tough... I recently attempted to open an AC Delco PF46E that I took off my 2005 Silverado, and it was the toughest cases to bust through , compared to the Fram, Purolator, Mahle, Mann and Jobber filters I've cut open in the past. 3k miles and it had no issues. Still debating on posting pics... looks like I opened it with a spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back