Webroot SecureAnywhere or Avast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current user of AvastFree, and sometimes AVGFree but received a 3x license copy of WebRoot SecureAnywhere with a recent laptop purchase. Found a couple reviews only showing good results, at least on par with any other antivirus and better than some big names... But of course change comes hard. Trying it out on the new computer as well as pigbacking avast on my machine and its already found two virii avast has not.

Does anybody used webroot? Is it as good as it claims? Can/should I trust it as my main antivirus?

neither

here is why :
Webroot scans EXTREMELY fast. They dont scan files deeply, they simply match the hash code( its unique to every file ever created ) and determines if its a threat.

Its not a proactive solution. but very lightweight. you wont notice its there.

Avast in my opinion is too slow. I simply wont use it anywhere bc of this. They have good reputation for what they do.

this is what i recomend:
a free anti virus thats lightweight such as AVG free edition and an active suscription of malwarebyte. A life time key can be bought for 20 bucks!

malwarebytes is better than any anti virus. it catches everything from keyloggers, to random stuff hidden in illegal files. I simply use this software when im doing virus cleaning. it destroys anything and everything in sight.

It has caught random malwares that no other anti virus has found. These people are both passionate and very good at what they do.

Last edited:
Webroot has a great detection and removal rate. Its not a conventional A/V. It moniters programs and if you happen to get a virus it will rollback all the changes the virus did.

Pcmag had a review of it. In a private test it removed all malware off the PC. While the scan only removed 1/3 the rest was due to the nature and what the program attempted to do.

They later tested it and hitman pro and malwarebytes detected nothing.

I say neither as well. I don't run an antivirus on my main computers, but when I have to work with Windows computers I use and recommend Bitdefender Free... Very powerful AV and they NEVER bug you with annoying pop ups trying to get you to buy the paid version. Very lightweight and easy to use.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I say neither as well. I don't run an antivirus on my main computers, but when I have to work with Windows computers I use and recommend Bitdefender Free... Very powerful AV and they NEVER bug you with annoying pop ups trying to get you to buy the paid version. Very lightweight and easy to use.

Bit defender is very good. But many PC's have a hard time installing them.

I used Webroot and do not have much good to say about it. Once my subscription expired, I switched to AVG and immediately found several virus and pieces of malware that Webroot didn't notice. I've also heard that Webroot goes out of their way to spam the web with "positive reviews" that are often bogus...

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Bit defender is very good. But many PC's have a hard time installing them.

I've never had any problems installing Bitdefender on any computer so far.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
malwarebytes [......] it destroys anything and everything in sight.

How do you know it gets everything?

ESET NOD 32. It is the best, lightest and absolutely the most effective AV program available. New Egg often runs a $20.00/3PC one year NOD 32 license deal several times a year. Even at regular price ESET is 1000 times better than Webroot and it is easier to install and use than Bitdefender.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
ESET NOD 32. It is the best, lightest and absolutely the most effective AV program available. New Egg often runs a $20.00/3PC one year NOD 32 license deal several times a year. Even at regular price ESET is 1000 times better than Webroot and it is easier to install and use than Bitdefender.

Agree.
In November, a week or two prior to Black Friday, ESET runs $10 per one PC offers. Newegg and DealsPlus are the places to look. The sales on ESET runs on and off until February at-least.

I have Webroot on my laptop, which I seldom use (mostly for streaming TV shows via HDMI). I will not renew. It seems weak, for my Malwarebytes Free, Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware programs pick up malware Webroot misses.

I am putting ESET on that laptop in November. I'll probably purchase a 3-PC version of it for around $20-30 then.

Last edited:
Personally i'd recommend Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Emsisoft.
If you search a bit around the web, you will notice that those 3 suites are the most CONSISTENT and almost every single time the top 3 in the tests.

Last edited:
It's interesting how experiences vary.

After paying for a 10-user subscription of BitDefender a while back, I will never try it again. It slowed computers too much (unless they had over-abundant hardware resources) and was a real nuisance to users.

For all the good reviews Malwarebytes gets, I have found it useless on computers that are already infected with non-trivial malware. It scans, comes up with a few minor issues to fix, but completely misses the real offender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back