Could have ruined my Guzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

I was riding my 750 Guzzi today and it started to make a squeaking noise. I rode it home and checked oil levels. There was no oil in the transmission! I had changed the fluids a few months ago and must have forgotten to fill the transmission. I had drained out the Red Line Shockproof heavy that had been in the bike for 50,000 miles. It went about 1500 miles before the noise started. There must have been just enough oil clinging to the gears to keep it alive.
Now I have to hope no permanent damage was done.

There could have been some oil in the transmission if all the oil does not drain out. The noise changed when I pulled in the clutch so I think it was the throwout bearing that was getting dry.

If you did, time for, A.) New motorcycle, or B.)Tear it down and identify the problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim
I was riding my 750 Guzzi today and it started to make a squeaking noise. I rode it home and checked oil levels. There was no oil in the transmission! I had changed the fluids a few months ago and must have forgotten to fill the transmission. I had drained out the Red Line Shockproof heavy that had been in the bike for 50,000 miles. It went about 1500 miles before the noise started. There must have been just enough oil clinging to the gears to keep it alive.
Now I have to hope no permanent damage was done.

Might as well try the new oil in it first , ride it a little and see . Gears are tough , but the bearings not so much . If is noisy , pull the trany ! I was the head mechanic at a guzzt dealership , they are tough hombres, should easy to rebuild and mite as well put a new clutch in it too .
Jake

Yikes! I would fill and then do some slow riding on some unused roads for a bit and then drain and see what comes out... Practicing stopping with your rear tire locked would be a good idea too.
I had a buddy whose old car manual trans was a bit noisier than usual and it locked the front tires at 70mph on the freeway... He drifted mostly onto the shoulder and didn't get hit, but he was lucky.

If you did any damage at all it would be to the bearings. The gears are WAY tougher than the bearings. I would fill and ride and then check for any possible damage. If the bearings are toast you should be able to hear them. Good luck.

Last edited:
I filled the tranny with oil and went for a long ride. The noise is gone and everything seems normal. I will check the magnet on the drain plug in a few days and see what is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back