BMW coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW calls their coolant lifetime. There is no specified change interval.

That being said, every 2-3 years is probably the safe bet.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
From what I see, BMW coolant needs to be changed out every 2 years.

I have not heard this. What's the source of this info?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Same here, when I asked the local dealer what the schedule change interval is the service righter gave me a look of confusion. Responded with I do not know, its never been done on mid- 2000's on up unless water pump or thermostat needs replaced.

raaizin said:

[/quote

I guess that is the issue here. From what little info I have seen 2-3 years is the consensus. I dont have an official maintanence schedule and have searched but couldnt find any, add to that the lifetime fluid debate and I am quite confused...They sure dont make it easy to diy...

I dont have an official maintanence schedule and have searched but couldnt find any,

The 2014 maintenance booklet says:

Quote:
The engine coolant has a long-term rating and
does not need to be changed except for system
repairs.

Not saying I would adhere to it. It's just what BMW says.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/E...rantyBooks.aspx

If you go back to the older ones, like for my 2002 530i, the service manual says "replace every 4 years." Was there some change in coolant technology between 2002 and 2014? I don't know.

I dont have an official maintanence schedule and have searched but couldnt find any,

The 2014 maintenance booklet says:

Quote:
The engine coolant has a long-term rating and
does not need to be changed except for system
repairs.

Not saying I would adhere to it. It's just what BMW says.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/E...rantyBooks.aspx

If you go back to the older ones, like for my 2002 530i, the service manual says "replace every 4 years." Was there some change in coolant technology between 2002 and 2014? I don't know.

THANKS! for the link. Guess I wasnt looking in the correct location. One last question, what type of power steering fluid does my car take, and is there a source other than BMW

IIRC, your 2008 X3 uses ATF as PS fluid. The OEM fluid is Pentosin CHF 11S, if I'm not mistaken. Most people believe any synthetic ATF will do, such as M1 ATF.

Most online Euro part stores carry CHF 11S though, if you don't want to buy it from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back