SUV winter tire selection help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna need a set of SUV winter tires soon in size 235/60/18. Snow traction is probably the most critical on my priority list. I've narrowed my selection down to these three, in no particular order:

- Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
- Michelin Lattitude X-Ice Xi2
- Nokian Hakka R2 SUV

Any feedback on the above tires? I haven't been able to find a comparison test that looks at all three.

I'll probably be buying winter rims from TR at the same time, so it would be convenient to get the tires from them as well (free mount/balance), but that would leave out the Nokians. Between the Bridgestones and the Michelins, the Bridgestones seem to be more highly rated on TR.

Nokians would be the most expensive of the three, and would require me to go through a local dealer, but price is low on my priority list. I just want a good winter tire. I know there have been some issues with the Nokians being out of round and needing to be replaced, which adds to the hassle. Not sure if they've gotten better since those last year quality issue reports...

I'm open to other suggestions too, but please don't recommend tires that are not available in size 235/60/18.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
more highly

Please don't let my most bestest command of English stop you from responding to my post.
smile.gif

I would probably go with the Blizzaks based on these two personal opinions:

(1) I have personally used other Blizzak tires - WS50, WS60, WS70 with good luck.
(2) Family members with SUVs have used the DM-V1s and really liked them.

Bridgestone does know what they're doing with the Blizzaks. But then again, I can't say that Michelin doesn't.

Last edited:
Based on test results, I'd say all 3 are an excellent choice.

I personally have run mostly Blizzak's over the years.

WS-15
MZ-02
WS-50
version prior to DM-V1s
DM-V1's

Loved them all. The DM-V1's are on my wagon in the winter. They work great. Definitely a bit squishy and a real lack of steering precision, but they work great in the snow and ice. Mine are size 235/75R15 so that would have less handling precision than the 235/65RVR17's Bridgeston Dueler HP Sports I have on the wagon in the summer anyway simply because of the taller sidewall. The tall flexible tread blocks will I believe will be noticeable even if you had the same size winter vs. summer.

It's an AWD SUV, buying snow tires for it is just a waste of money
wink.gif

Sorry, had to. TR's ability to sell you the wheel with the tire and mount, for free, is pretty nice.

Tires-easy.com sells Nokian tires. Here ... not cheap though. I'm not familiar with what tires cost in this size.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Tires-easy.com sells Nokian tires. Here ... not cheap though.

Yeah, I've looked at various online options for Nokian. In the end, it'll end up being about the same as me getting it from a local Nokian dealer, since they will include mount&balance at no add'l charge. Plus, should one (or more) of them end up being out of round and needing replacement, it's just easier to swap it at a local dealer than having to deal with return shipping.

Nokians are excellent, I have used RSi's, R's and R2's, currently have R SUV on my van, no complaints. As for them being out of round, I think it is more a road force issue. Find a shop who does road force balancing, some cars are more sensitive than others. I had a Michelin Defender that was stubborn about vibration, 3 balances later still vibrated, and the shop said the tire was bad. Roadforce balanced, and, voila, smooth as can be, still, after 2 + years...

Another tire to consider is the TOYO GSI-5. Excellent tire on ice and snow, and seems to wear well. I am going into my 4 th winter on a set, with about 2-3 millimeters left above the snow bars...

The DMV-1's are very good as well, the truck tires seem to last longer than the car ones... that seems to be the one complaint with BLIZZAKS, they tend to wear VERY fast for some drivers / vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's an AWD SUV, buying snow tires for it is just a waste of money
wink.gif

I see the "wink..."

I run TOYO GSI-5's on an AWD Subaru.. it is an absolute blast to drive in the worst conditions, BECAUSE of the tires!

AWD on all seasons can really mask how slippery the roads are. You can get going pretty good, and then find out you can't stop or turn... then you crash. AWD actually punished you for having the wrong tires...!

Gonna need a set of SUV winter tires soon in size 235/60/18. Snow traction is probably the most critical on my priority list. I've narrowed my selection down to these three, in no particular order:

- Nokian Hakka R2 SUV

Any feedback on the above tires? I haven't been able to find a comparison test that looks at all three.

I'll probably be buying winter rims from TR at the same time, so it would be convenient to get the tires from them as well (free mount/balance), but that would leave out the Nokians. Between the Bridgestones and the Michelins, the Bridgestones seem to be more highly rated on TR.

Nokians would be the most expensive of the three, and would require me to go through a local dealer, but price is low on my priority list. I just want a good winter tire. I know there have been some issues with the Nokians being out of round and needing to be replaced, which adds to the hassle. Not sure if they've gotten better since those last year quality issue reports...

I'm open to other suggestions too, but please don't recommend tires that are not available in size 235/60/18.

Thanks!

Any consideration given to downsizing to a 17, or even 16 inch wheel... ? In the winter, sidewall height is your friend, IF you can clear the brakes...

And, the tires are usually cheaper as well... !

Originally Posted By: geeman789

- Nokian Hakka R2 SUV

Thanks!

Any consideration given to downsizing to a 17, or even 16 inch wheel... ? In the winter, sidewall height is your friend, IF you can clear the brakes...

And, the tires are usually cheaper as well... !

I have noticed when you go down in size, you can also keep the same diameter, but get more sidewall and go to something a bit skinnier. Win on both sides!

I am already going down in size. Summer wheels are 19". Besides 235/60 is plenty of sidewall height. Our roads may be bad, but they're not THAT bad.
smile.gif

I would go with Bridgestones.
I have WS 70 for my wife's Tiguan and LM-60 for CC, and they have great traction in deep snow as well as on ice.
When I lived in Europe I drove on Good Years Ultra Grip 6, 7 and 8, Continental TS 810, 830 and 850, and those are some of the best winter tires you can buy there. I think Bridgestones when it comes to traction are not behind those at all.
Now down side is that they are wearing off like crazy. But then, winter tire that lasts 40K is not for me true winter tire.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
When I lived in Europe I drove on Good Years Ultra Grip 6, 7 and 8, Continental TS 810, 830 and 850, and those are some of the best winter tires you can buy there.

Well, no. Those are made for mild winter with wet roads and occasional snow. Currently Ultra Grip Ice 2 from GY and Continental ContiVikingContact 5 are "real" winter tyres from those manufacturers.

Last edited:
I'm in worse winter than you and haven't wanted winter tires-a fairly aggressive treaded all season has been fine. Yes-taller AWD types are usually the ones that are 'turned turtle' on the roads. Hate all the out of round tires still being made. The short sidewalls with 'worser' roads out there makes no sense to me!

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I'm in worse winter than you and haven't wanted winter tires-a fairly aggressive treaded all season has been fine.

I need to update my profile. We now spend most of our time in western Michigan. Last winter we had 100+ inches of snowfall due to lake effect. The white stuff stayed on the ground pretty much non-stop from early November to late April. Wife's current car with AWD and Conti DWS (touted as one of the best all-season tires out there) did very poorly in the white stuff. She felt unsafe, and after I drove her car a few times in those conditions, I fully agreed with her. In my experience, there is a huge difference in winter traction between the best all-season and even the cheapest winter tire. And so, I am buying her a set of dedicated winter tires this year. This decision has been made and is not up for debate.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Originally Posted By: edyvw
When I lived in Europe I drove on Good Years Ultra Grip 6, 7 and 8, Continental TS 810, 830 and 850, and those are some of the best winter tires you can buy there.

Well, no. Those are made for mild winter with wet roads and occasional snow. Currently Ultra Grip Ice 2 from GY and Continental ContiVikingContact 5 are "real" winter tyres from those manufacturers.

I have been in Finland, and can tell you that in Southern Alps on the mountains are similar conditions.
Occasional snow is not winter where you have 6ft over night and in some areas temps below -35.
Also, OP is looking for tires that can do deep snow and dry roads.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I'm in worse winter than you and haven't wanted winter tires-a fairly aggressive treaded all season has been fine.

I need to update my profile. We now spend most of our time in western Michigan. Last winter we had 100+ inches of snowfall due to lake effect. The white stuff stayed on the ground pretty much non-stop from early November to late April. Wife's current car with AWD and Conti DWS (touted as one of the best all-season tires out there) did very poorly in the white stuff. She felt unsafe, and after I drove her car a few times in those conditions, I fully agreed with her. In my experience, there is a huge difference in winter traction between the best all-season and even the cheapest winter tire. And so, I am buying her a set of dedicated winter tires this year. This decision has been made and is not up for debate.
smile.gif

On Tiguan I have DWS, which I replaced with WS70 as winter started and kept them until April. I did drive them on some snow, and while they can go forward (thanx to AWD) I am more concerned with braking and stability on the road.
I would try these new Bridgestone WS-80. They seem like true winter tire and hopefully they last longer.

I've heard plenty of good about the Blizzak DM-V1s. I've personally got a set of Hakka R2s (in 235/70R16) for my Jeep and have been around a friend's Highlander (with 225/65R17 Hakka R2s) and I'm quite happy with them. Not the cheapest tires out there, but worth the money, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep it coming.

Based on the responses thus far, I am not seeing any evidence of Hakka R2's superiority over DM-V1 (not that there isn't any). I might go with DM-V1 just because it'll end up being more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back