Toyota Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've never touched PS fluid before, but I might as well start. Looking at the manuals it states, for my Toyotas, Dexron II or III ATF. Any reason to pick one fluid over another? The truck is 4 yrs old / 88kmiles and tends to sit a bit (but IIRC has a PS cooler) while the Camry is 3yr/79k and gets driving heavily. AFAIK no issues in the systems (no fluid leaks, but the Tundra does have a noise that is TBD).

My plan is to suck out what I can, refill, and perhaps repeat at each OCI.

I have 2 quarts of Dexron II !

Yeah just swap it out with a turkey baster, you can almost do a full flush in about a half hour.

I use synthetic ATF.

I used Mobil DM from Target in my 01 Tacoma with the same DexII-III spec using 3-4 pump res. suction (HF Suction gun) d&f's until fluid looked red and clean. It's worked well. Dex II-III not a tough spec to meet, and I'd say any reputable Dex Merc will be up to the task and get the job done.

I like ML too, but in this case a couple qts. of Mobil DM was readily available and less expensive.

I don't think I saw ML at Walmart this morning, was tempted to get some more for the truck. Didn't know that I really wanted it for something else!

Ok, will find a "good" ATF and go from there.

Whatever ATF you can find.

The entire system probably only holds 16oz of fluid. While turkey basting it is a slow process you don't have to do much.

Might be easier to pull a hose and let it drain, reconnect and fill up. The opening to the reservoir isn't very big.

I never did anything with the Highlander but the return line corroded through about a month ago leaving drips on my driveway. Replaced that and obviously the fluid at the same time. Steering is noticeably quieter near the limits of the range. Used Castrol high mileage universal, not sure that matters much.

Last edited:
Use a full synth ATF that mentions the spec.

If you want a non dye fluid, Preston and Bardahl have Asian/import spec clear synthetic psf.

When I had my Camry I went and bought about 5 feet of 3/8" inside diameter hose, disconnected the inlet to the power steering reservoir, cut a 6" section of the new hose and stuck it on to the reservoir and used vise grips to keep it from pouring fluid out. I then used one of these connectors
30tl1lg.jpg

and I connected the inlet hose to the rest of the new hose and dropped it in a drain pan. I started the engine for about 2 seconds (it pumps surprisingly fast) then shut it off and filled the reservoir with MaxLife ATF. I then started it again to pump out the old fluid and topped off as needed. Was pretty easy and the fluid coming out afterwards was nice and bright red.

I use Toyota T-IV when I flush my PS fluid. Have used it in 91 4runner all the way up to 09 Lexus GX470. As far as what the feller said above I do similiar except I jack up front end a little and just turn key to on without starting then have someone turn wheel all way right and left while I make sure reservoir does not run dry. Once cherry red fluid comes through you are done. 10 minute job.

I have used synthetic ATF in Toyota power steering systems. It improves steering feel. I prefer to use Dexron VI because of availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back