Valvoline VPS Manual Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have brought in Vavloline VPS Manual Transmission fluid into our shops inventory in hopes to cover a few applications. The benefit to the VPS fluid is the customer sees rebates on services and we see lower fluid cost compared to specialty fluids.

According to Valvoline this fluid covers GL-4 specifications AND "satisfies" synchromesh applications as well. It also covers the Ford M2C200C spec, which will eliminate another product on the shelf. My question is should I use this product for GL-4 and Synchromesh? To date we have been using Amsoil GL-4, and Amsoil Synchromesh, and Redline MTL for the M2C200C ford transmissions. The difference in viscosity of the two fluids is rather large which is why I am concerned about this..

image hosting free no registration

I saw this stuff at O'Reilly the other day. There's a list here someplace that has the viscosities of some popular manual transmission fluids. I was wondering is this more like a 75W90 GL4 gear oil or Pennzoil Synchromesh?

Years ago I tested and sent out for UOA's on oil for manual transmissions. My Honda spec'ed 10W-30 engine oil so I tried Mobil 1 10W-30 but discovered it sheared down right off the bat. So, I tried several oils specifically designed for manual transmissions and Red Line MTL performed the best based on shifting, noise and UOA's. And I did all this for my Honda Civic wagon daily driver. Imagine that. Using Mobil 1 10W-30 got me to 200K before the bearings gave up. I rebuild the 5-speed without replacing the gears or syncros, just bearings and seals. Today using MTL I've got 429K miles and no noise. It shifts like new. So for me it's Red Line MTL. The extra cost if of no consequence because it's about 2 quarts and I'm changing it every 100K miles.

This is well into the 75W-90 realm. I wouldn't touch it for a synchromesh, 75W-85, 75W-80 or 75W application. Way too thick.

You'll get tons of cold shifting complaints with that fluid.

Last edited:
This looks GREAT, but sadly, it IS way too thick for my T56's specs/application.
frown.gif
(NICE VI on this stuff!
thumbsup2.gif
)

Synchromesh isn't a big mover anyways, I'll likely use this for the GL-4 and M2C200C specs and keep the amsoil on hand.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
We have brought in Vavloline VPS Manual Transmission fluid into our shops inventory in hopes to cover a few applications. The benefit to the VPS fluid is the customer sees rebates on services and we see lower fluid cost compared to specialty fluids.

According to Valvoline this fluid covers GL-4 specifications AND "satisfies" synchromesh applications as well. It also covers the Ford M2C200C spec, which will eliminate another product on the shelf. My question is should I use this product for GL-4 and Synchromesh? To date we have been using Amsoil GL-4, and Amsoil Synchromesh, and Redline MTL for the M2C200C ford transmissions. The difference in viscosity of the two fluids is rather large which is why I am concerned about this..

Different Manual transmission fluids range in viscosity from about 6.1 cSt (similar to DexVI or LV viscosity) to 15 cSt (75W90).

Pennzoil Synchromesh is a fluid with a 9.3 cSt rating at 100C.

So you have a right to be concerned.

This fluid is NOT appropriate for all transmissions.

Quote:
Manual Transmission Fluids (MTL) Fluids containing MTL Application Specific Additive Packages with GL-4 Ratings

Choosing a Manual Transmission fluid can be confusing.

Many times there is simply a specification referenced and no information about the viscosity of a fluid at 100C, where the oil viscosity is documented at the higher testing temperature.

What I recommend you do when looking for a replacement fluid is to determine the viscosity of the fluid at 100C either from the manufacturer's Product Data Sheet or from a New oil Analysis or VOA.

After knowing the viscosity at 100C (212F), one can then attempt to match up the fluid to one or more of those below:

A. The four MTL fluids closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.1 (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt
F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

H. The next group of MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt range are:

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTL
3. GM Synchromesh’s
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

I. The next higher viscosity MTL would be:

1. Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

J. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS

Technology of MTs and Manual Transmission Fluids

Last edited:
VPS is a great 75w90 GL4. I also would have no problem using in place of GL4 75w85. It a direct competitor to MT90, 4434, and MTG, along with the OE GL4 85 and 90 grades.

Valvoline has a separate 9cst Synchromesh product that competes with GM/Texaco/Pennzoil Synchromesh and boutique like MTL, MTF, Synchromax, SyncroShift...

VPS products compete with local blender/distributors, Wynns, BG, ...

http://www.valvoline.com/products/valvoline-professional-series/transmission-system-service/95

Can't find a link for Valvolines pn 811095. Trademark naming issue? It's still in stock at local autopart stores.

Thanks for the input, we'll use the VPS in GL-4 applications and keep to the fluid specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back