Lucas 20w50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I just recently put this oil in my new Harley. The motor runs so smooth I can't even hear it on the highway.

Just curious if there are any lab tests on this oil, recent, or anyone have feedback?

Oh and before the normal AMSOIL comment, I am a dealer and have used it in the past, lol.

Thanks for any input.

Some people love it some don't. Not a fan of it myself but hey I don't own a Harley lol.

For what its worth I know a few people who only run Lucas oil in their mud trucks and toys. Then again theses vehicles are not know to receive proper care. If you like it keep using it. If it was horrible stuff it would have been pulled from the shelf's.

Thanks 3800. No it is new to me, sounds great, but if the Amsoil is better I will switch it. I have only had it in there a couple hundred miles.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
If you like it keep using it. If it was horrible stuff it would have been pulled from the shelf's.

Not really.... I still see lots of "mechanic in a can" products still out there. I'm not an AMSOIL fan, but if run that over Lucas any day.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will most likely change back to Amsoil. I know it is great oil.

Only have about 300 miles on this oil, I thought I heard a change in engine noise yesterday, I have great ears, so I want to send this 300 mile sample to Blackstone and see how it faired.

I will post it here, might be a few weeks though.

That's very true. I meant overtime. Anything that doesn't sell will be replaced with something that will. I'm not a fan of Lucas either tho. Used there oil stabler once.. Not even lying with a 30 min period my oil pump went out and engine locked up. First and last time I used it.

A friend used their fuel additive (on a low tank) ended up clogging his injectors. In all honesty the that was his fault. But he pulled them and cleaned with car cleaner.

Here is a Used Oil Analysis of Lucus 20W50. The oil was run for 1500 miles in air cooled v-twin. As you can see the SUS Viscosity is 60.3 which means it broke down to a 30 weight oil. If it was still a 50 weight it would have had a SUS Viscosity of 83.1,and 10.29cst is closer to 30wt than the 12.5cst of 40wt.

Aluminium - 2
Chromium - 0
Iron - 7
Copper - 2
Lead - 1
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 2
Nickel - 0
Manganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 2
Boron - 74
Silicon - 9
Sodium - 2
Calcium - 2211
Magnesium - 5
Phosphorus - 834
Zink - 1134
Barium - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F - 60.3
cST Viscosity @ 100C - 10.29
Flashpoint - 370
Fuel % - .8
Antifreeze % - 0
Water % - 0
Insolubles % - .1

Last edited:
LC,

Is that the synthetic motorcycle oil? I saw that posted somewhere and it was the old Dino Lucas, not syn.

Do you know?

Don't really see how 300 miles will say much

On that 1500 mile uoa , it had fuel in it so that killed and contaminated the oil. maybe a 20w60 would be better. 1500 mile is a very short interval for a cruiser.

Last edited:
So I knew it. LC you are completely wrong. I can't stand to see stuff like this.

What you failed to mention is that the Lucas didn't break down to a lower viscosity, the guy mixed 3 quarts of 20w50 with 1 quart of 5w20.

You think that might have brought the viscosity down? ......lol

Be sure and read the whole thing before posting info.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1507849

Interesting not the same UOA I had seen. You are right, I don't like to see things much less publish things that may not be all the facts.
The UOA I read was on a V-twin board. Sorry, it was not my intent to mislead anyone.

Originally Posted By: JPowell490
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will most likely change back to Amsoil. I know it is great oil.

Only have about 300 miles on this oil, I thought I heard a change in engine noise yesterday, I have great ears, so I want to send this 300 mile sample to Blackstone and see how it faired.

I will post it here, might be a few weeks though.

This website is making you paranoid. Lucas oil is fine. Amsoil is fine. You got a few opinions that said they prefers other brands and all of a sudden it goes from "I can't even hear the motor it;s so smooth!" to "I think I heard a noise."

You didn't hear a noise that was caused by any particular brand of lubrication. That's not how it works.

It's fine.

Hey Jay,

I still have it in there and it seems to be doing great. They part that worries me is the lack of any testing or real feedback on the Lucas line.

I read a lot about oils. I just don't want my 23k Harley to have anything less than the best.

Any thoughts on Lucas vs Amsoil or Red Line?

They all do just fine but I prefer Valvoline 20w-50 Four stroke for my Honda in these hot summers and an air cooled twin. Also I can find it on sale pretty easliy.

4NPJ2_AS01.JPG

Motor Oil, Synthetic Blend Base, Size 32 oz., Container Type Bottle, SAE Grade 20W-50, ISO Viscosity Grade Not Specified, Viscosity Index 155, Temp. Range -, Pour Point -27 Degrees C, Flash Point 236 Degrees C, Dropping Point Not Speficied, Specific Gravity 0.874 at 60 Degrees F, Four-Ball Wear Not Specified, Timken OK Load Not Specified, Viscosity @ 40C 155.27, Viscosity @ 100C 18.5, Application Motorcycles With 4 Cycle Engines, Standards API, JASO

Also, only because I only need 1.6 quarts and sometimes the dipstick is really hard to read since it's beige (Thanks Honda) I may give this RP a try:

high-performance-motorcycle-ATV-motor-oil.png

I should be able to see it much betterthat a really light oil.

Originally Posted By: JPowell490
Hey Jay,

I still have it in there and it seems to be doing great. They part that worries me is the lack of any testing or real feedback on the Lucas line.

I read a lot about oils. I just don't want my 23k Harley to have anything less than the best.

Any thoughts on Lucas vs Amsoil or Red Line?

My Harley has an S&S 106 kit,cams,headwork,more compression,dynotune and hauls.
I have used many oils in that bike. Right now I'm using rotella conventional 15w-40 at 2500-3000 mile intervals.
Harley's syn 3 oil is certainly not the best product out there yet the twin cams last near forever using which tells me that "best" oil is a subjective choice.
My bike was loud as heck on both m1 15w-50 and the v-twin 20w-50,amsoil 20w-50 wasn't bad but it wasn't great for noise.
The quietest running oils I used were automotive RP 20w-50,motul 10w-60 and redline 20w-50.
You don't need a v-twin oil in a big twin.
What I'm using now is cheap and has been working just fine in my far from stock bike.

Originally Posted By: jayg
They all do just fine but I prefer Valvoline 20w-50 Four stroke for my Honda in these hot summers and an air cooled twin. Also I can find it on sale pretty easliy.

4NPJ2_AS01.JPG

Motor Oil, Synthetic Blend Base, Size 32 oz., Container Type Bottle, SAE Grade 20W-50, ISO Viscosity Grade Not Specified, Viscosity Index 155, Temp. Range -, Pour Point -27 Degrees C, Flash Point 236 Degrees C, Dropping Point Not Speficied, Specific Gravity 0.874 at 60 Degrees F, Four-Ball Wear Not Specified, Timken OK Load Not Specified, Viscosity @ 40C 155.27, Viscosity @ 100C 18.5, Application Motorcycles With 4 Cycle Engines, Standards API, JASO

Also, only because I only need 1.6 quarts and sometimes the dipstick is really hard to read since it's beige (Thanks Honda) I may give this RP a try:

high-performance-motorcycle-ATV-motor-oil.png

I should be able to see it much betterthat a really light oil.

I posted a pretty good UOA on the Conv. Valvoline 4 stroke 20/50 a year or so back, is was my oil of choice for my Yami 1300 tourer.I just moved onto a Road King, first change I used Harley 20/50 conv. Not sure why, other then I heard its a respectable oil. But its hard to find UOAs on it.

I don't know why, but I have a hard time finding 4 qts of Valvoline's 20/50 wt MC oil. I've gone to several stores and they are usually out of it or maybe have just 1 qt. Today was a 1 qt day, so I picked up 4 qts of their VR-1 20/50 racing oil, Regular not synthetic.I've read some good Uoa's on it so I don't mind trying it out for the winter.I probably could have picked up some 15/40 wt oil but, it's still in the 80's around here and I only will used that if it's gonna be below 40f close to the time I'm changing the oil.,,

I have Schaeffers in my Harley now and seems to do just fine.I have Lucas syn 20/50 ready for my next oil change.I have no problem with ANY quality oil.The most important thing you can do is change it when your supposed to.I also have the lucas transmission and primary oils.Some oils will transfer sound more then others.Doesnt mean its a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back