Rear wheel drive vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A member of my family lives in New York and has a Nissan 350Z. He said the first time he drove that car in winter, it was quite a challenge. The other members of my family in New York made fun of him because their boring family cars drove better in winter.

I had no problem last winter in what many would call the WORST possible vehicle for snow: a 2WD, short-wheelbase, high-torque pickup!

Cute video-My wife has a Nissan 350 that she doesn't drive in winter, but quite a few others we see put the winter tires on and go for it. Back when RWD was about all there was, we'd add a fair amound of weight in the trunk-generally worked ok with the snow tires of that day

I drove '74, '77 Camaro's for years in the W.NY State snow w/w/o snow tires and other rear wheel drive cars the same way. It sucked but, I didn't know any better. These F body cars had to be the absolute worst cars in bad weather! But, I lived!
smile.gif

Then in 1984, my wife & I bought our first front wheel drive(FWD) car and I never turned back. I have had some rear wheel drive(RWD) cars that were better than others but, it still sucked in the winter.

I've also had better FWD cars(than others) in the winter time. But, I want FWD or AWD from now on, especially now that I'm older, patients is different, eyes are different!

FWD/AWD with really good tires!...You bet!

Last edited:
I'm 57 and I still prefer RWD on winter tires unless the snow is over @6" deep on the road...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm 57 and I still prefer RWD on winter tires unless the snow is over @6" deep on the road...

I would too, except our driveway isn't rwd friendly in winter. The Tracker in rwd can make it up most of the time but not everytime, and its probably nearly on par with best rwd vehicles in the snow(Porsche excluded).

With todays vehicles being so much better in all ways including F&R weight distribution, RWD vehicles are waaaaaaay better controlled than the older vehicles were, when foul weather hits!

I like a RWD vehicle, I still have one in my Sig!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've personally never driven an FWD car in the snow that I didn't find to be absolutely unpleasant.

It what ever you get used to. When I was in highschool we had a fwd corolla hatchback with snows on the front only, and you could huck it or left foot brake it very sideways into a snowy corner, far more sideways than any rwd car could recover from, because you could get on the gas at the mid point and have the front end lose some grip while pulling the back end back in line.
Here's a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU
Rwd, while very fun in the snow is a little tricky to me, as there is a drift angle that you have a very hard time recovering from.

I've personally never driven an FWD car in the snow that I didn't find to be absolutely unpleasant.

Most wrong-wheel drive cars I have driven in snow I found ranged from dicey to terrifying.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Most wrong-wheel drive cars I have driven in snow I found ranged from dicey to terrifying.

Must be a driver related issue.

I've driven FWD, RWD, AWD in the snow, and the only times they have been anything less than acceptable, has been due to the quality of the tires on the vehicle, and the specific conditions on/of the road at the time.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I've driven FWD, RWD, AWD in the snow, and the only times they have been anything less than acceptable, has been due to the quality of the tires on the vehicle, and the specific conditions on/of the road at the time.

Agreed. It's not as much about the drive setup as it is about proper tires.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Exactly.

Moreover the largest importance is a driver with a little bit of common sense and calmness in poor conditions. The most important aspect of tires are they have relatively close traction relative to each on all four corners. Drive setup is irrelevant to control in the winter.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Moreover the largest importance is a driver with a little bit of common sense and calmness in poor conditions. The most important aspect of tires are they have relatively close traction relative to each on all four corners. Drive setup is irrelevant to control in the winter.

Well said guys.

I find the FWD comments hilarious! "dicey to terrifying"..."absolutely unpleasant"....clearly this is not the common opinion, there are many FWD cars on the road here.

Snow tires, 4 of them. Winter problem solved on any vehicle. I like a FWD since you can use the ebrake to counter understeering. I also completely enjoy a RWD in snow. Just need good tires and driving skills.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Snow tires, 4 of them. Winter problem solved on any vehicle. I like a FWD since you can use the ebrake to counter understeering. I also completely enjoy a RWD in snow. Just need good tires and driving skills.

Driving skills are usually the major factor; I've actually heard some poor fools say that they can't own a RWD car because they need a vehicle that they can drive in the rain. I suggested that what they really need are bus tokens- as they clearly aren't competent to be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Driving style is definitely part of my issue with FWD in the snow. FWD tends to understeer badly under any throttle, and the only times I've had an issue with snap oversteer not induced by an ice patch have been in FWD cars (light rear end comes around FAST once provoked).

RWD, if it's set up right (especially in a setup with a lot of caster up front) will throw the rear end back in line with just a quick flick of the wheel, even with the vehicle almost totally sideways. The key is knowing how to time steering and throttle to get the rear end to stick on the recovery.

I also like being able to steer with the throttle, so when I hit a slick spot in a tight turn and it starts to push, it's nice to be able to blip the throttle, step the tail out a little and get the front end to hook back up (and rotate the vehicle through the turn).

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: dareo

Driving skills are usually the major factor; I've actually heard some poor fools say that they can't own a RWD car because they need a vehicle that they can drive in the rain. I suggested that what they really need are bus tokens- as they clearly aren't competent to be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Agreed. My wife prior to her 2005 LGT drove 80's $1000 Japanese manual transmission econoboxes with both RWD(corolla) and FWD with the mediocre all-seasons at best. Never stuck and so calm even in the worst conditions. She has to be at work as a medical professional.

We have watched folks with AWD get stuck and then her drive carefully out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back