Injector spray pattern has gotten pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was replacing a leaky heater hose on the Caprice tonight, and while I was running the engine with the air cleaner off, the first thing I noticed was that my air filter smelled like gas. This was new. Inspection under the revealing white light of my LED worklight showed that my injectors were spraying like those you see in the "before" pics of all of those injectors cleaner ads. Droplets of fuel were hitting the throats of the TBI unit, and dripping down toward the throttle plates. More droplets were splashing laterally onto the TBI unit, and not even going down the throats.
mad.gif

Throttling up made everything look a lot better, but it seems it's new injector time. They've already had PEA treatments. No need to [censored] around here.

My go to combo is a thing of Gumout Regane/Techron (which ever is on sale) run that tank then hit it with a can of Berryman b12 chemtool to clean it all out. If your having bad spray I suggest (if interested) you avoid the back of the can and add half the bottle when you have 3-4 gallons left and then run that threw and throw the rest in on next fill up.

Had good success with Berryman with a car that had difficulty starting. Stuff less then $4 a can might be worth a try before you buy all new injectors.

Last edited:
I have had 4 different fuel injector sets cleaned by RC Engineering in California, afterwards I'm in fact getting +3-5 mpg above epa estimated, I do fully main my vehicles though.

No reason to buy new injectors when your old ones can be cleaned back to OEM spec for only $24 per injector.

00 gt-s didn't need it as it was within 95% of OEM spec (premium gas only)

01 gt definitely needed it as it was only within 65% of OEM spec (regular gas)

Both car's fuel injectors were cleaned anyways, and will be done again after 100k with techron being used every 10k to see if there is actually any benefit of using Techron or not

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I have had 4 different fuel injector sets cleaned by RC Engineering in California, afterwards I'm in fact getting +3-5 mpg above epa estimated, I do fully main my vehicles though.

No reason to buy new injectors when your old ones can be cleaned back to OEM spec for only $24 per injector.

Both car's fuel injectors were cleaned anyways, and will be done again after 100k with techron being used every 10k to see if there is actually any benefit of using Techron or not

I believe techron states "to be used every 3k miles". I could be quiet possibly wrong as it is late and I am tired but I think for best results you should follow their recommendation.

I guess there is nothing wrong with giving a cleaner one more shot.

Sending a couple of spare injectors (I only have two) off to RC to get redone. I'll try another cleaner in the mean time.

I'm
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

I believe techron states "to be used every 3k miles". I could be quiet possibly wrong as it is late and I am tired but I think for best results you should follow their recommendation.

Lol gas itself has enough cleaning power, 3k I think is a marketing thing, since it isn't something Toyota recommends, I'm simply using it to experiment as 100k later I will send my injectors for cleaning to see if my maintenance habits are working or not, I do know there are a lot variables to consider.

Give Trav a shout if you want your injectors cleaned he does fantastic work, and has a quick turn around time. Here's some info on his prices and what he does to them. Shoot him a PM if you need more info. HTH

Originally Posted By: Trav
I charge $16.25 each. That includes..
Initial external cleaning or bead blasting and electrical test.
Initial flow bench and spray pattern testing and observations.

Cleaning in 3 ultrasonic tanks while being triggered at different RPM. Each bath has different chemicals for different types of deposit removal.

Retest and repeat if needed.

Painted or polished (stainless) new filters, o-rings installed and final test.
Fit any mounting seals run a protective oil though them and package in heat sealed plastic bag with desiccant and a pack of clear O2 sensor safe installation grease.

Before and after reports with all the details.
Boxed and shipped $8.00 shipping fee.

As of this month all standard (90% of all units use these) filters are being upgraded free to a stainless steel basket type instead of the plastic ones, these offer better filtration and a much larger filter area.
Standard o-rings have also been upgraded to Viton 75 at no charge.
Turn around 24-48 hrs depending on how dirty they are.

Pm for more info

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
So I was replacing a leaky heater hose on the Caprice tonight, and while I was running the engine with the air cleaner off, the first thing I noticed was that my air filter smelled like gas. This was new. Inspection under the revealing white light of my LED worklight showed that my injectors were spraying like those you see in the "before" pics of all of those injectors cleaner ads. Droplets of fuel were hitting the throats of the TBI unit, and dripping down toward the throttle plates. More droplets were splashing laterally onto the TBI unit, and not even going down the throats.
mad.gif

Throttling up made everything look a lot better, but it seems it's new injector time. They've already had PEA treatments. No need to [censored] around here.

I don't bother cleaning TBI units anymore. They are so cheap to buy now. Rock is around $55ea for brand new ones from Standard unless its a Police package.

If available in your area, try a few tanks of Shell or Chevron/Texaco fuel. It might just take care of your problem.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
mad.gif

I don't bother cleaning TBI units anymore. They are so cheap to buy now. Rock is around $55ea for brand new ones from Standard unless its a Police package.

If TBI is referring to throttle body, why buy new ones when old ones can be removed with iacv and cleaned enough to almost new and then the car perform back OEM standards? I have done this on 3 different cars that started to idle back within OEM listed rpm range and the throttle response became amazing...these engines are so quiet now that inside the cabin at stop lights, seems as if the engines are not really running.

Not every injector is a good candidate for cleaning, There are a few models that are better being replaced.
I use to clean TBI and GM spider injectors but saw a lot of them with issues not being addressed by cleaning. The new injectors have better internals.
TBI uses only 2 injectors so its not a big hit to go new.

Hi Trav,

You've probably been asked this question on these forums and answered it more times than you can count on two hands, but I'm very curious what your opinion is of the over-the-counter, pour-in "fuel system cleaning" products, that lay claim to the ability to clean fuel injectors.

Specifically is the use of any of them (perhaps you do so without endorsing any one brand in particular), something that you advise your customers to do, in order to keep the injectors clean after you've cleaned them off of the vehicle? Typing this out made me realize it might not be in your best interest to give this advice!

No problem. I recommend Redline SI-1, Techron and Gumout high mileage and all in one . I prefer the Redline personally.
For varnish issues in carbs and injectors that have sat for a long time full of fuel Berrymans Chemtool is hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back