drive once in a few month oil change question .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 question on OCI, one is my dad 1995 ford winstar 3.8l he bought it since new, he start it up once in a while and drive 10-20 min ( I would say he start drive it once a month for 15-20 min ). It currently running peak 10w30 + motorcraft oil filter, should I change this every 6 month ?

second and this is my biggest issue, my 1985 mustang gt T Top 5 speed 5.0L 46k original miles , the carb been leaking fuel and run super rich, I change the oil 4 month ago and I drove 2 time on that period, since 2 month ago I discover the fuel leak , I been park and havent start it up at all, about yesterday I check the oil, and it had dark on dipstick, I wipe it off, and put it back in, clear fresh oil, but smell alot of gas. I dont plan on working fix the carb any time soon, should I change the oil + filter without start it up ? mabe I put on new carb next summer 2015, for now I just put it on the side.

thank you .

The Windstar should not need oil changed maybe once every 2-3 years. It's fuel injected and oil doesn't know time in sump, just mileage. I would prefer a synthetic filter, so it won't break down with time, you could run a Fram ultra forever on that thing probably and just change the oil every couple of years.

The Mustang will need changed probably every 6 months due to fuel dilution, but no way to tell if it's significant without a UOA.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Windstar should not need oil changed maybe once every 2-3 years. It's fuel injected and oil doesn't know time in sump, just mileage. I would prefer a synthetic filter, so it won't break down with time, you could run a Fram ultra forever on that thing probably and just change the oil every couple of years.

The Mustang will need changed probably every 6 months due to fuel dilution, but no way to tell if it's significant without a UOA.

it be ok, if I just drain the oil out and change the filter, put new oil in without start it up ? the carb is leaking gas pretty bad if I start it up. my main concern I want get most gas out the engine, until I fix the carb leaking issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

it be ok, if I just drain the oil out and change the filter, put new oil in without start it up ? the carb is leaking gas pretty bad if I start it up. my main concern I want get most gas out the engine, until I fix the carb leaking issue.

Of course it will be okay, but the first time you fire it up, you will be priming the system and it might be a more dry start than usual.

The trick with fuel dillution, is to watch where the oil is on the dip stick, and if it goes up you know its getting gas in the oil. Check the level very carefully on a flat surface after its sat overnight every time to get an accurate reading.

Is the leaky carb losing gas in the engine or outside of it?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

Of course it will be okay, but the first time you fire it up, you will be priming the system and it might be a more dry start than usual.

The trick with fuel dillution, is to watch where the oil is on the dip stick, and if it goes up you know its getting gas in the oil. Check the level very carefully on a flat surface after its sat overnight every time to get an accurate reading.

Is the leaky carb losing gas in the engine or outside of it?

it leak out side, in back of the car is leaking so much fuel, also I think the gas get in the engine too. Because of heavy smell of gas in oil.

My plant is, drain the oil, change the oil and filter, and just dont start it til I fix the carb.

Quick update : Drain out the oil today, came out dark grey silver looking, and its only have 100 miles in it, definitely contaminator by fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back