Attacked by Dog Yesterday While Bike Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
One time the propane guy was here delivering and told me to put away my evil chow dog because they are known to bite, be aggressive etc.

It was a 6 month old newfoundland puppy that was scared of his own shadow. He was determined it was a chow. Lol.

* He was on a leash because I knew he would get backed over, be a nuisance etc.

Last edited:
You can't blame people for being nervous around dogs, or not trusting the owners. It seems like the owner of every horrifically vicious dog I ever came across thought it was a sweetheart.

I've been attacked by dogs while riding my bike, but they never caught up.

I wouldn't have any problem shooting a vicious, attacking dog. Ride my bike a lot too, but I try to avoid big hills! Don't give a rip what an irresponsible owner thinks. If it comes down to me getting bit, or the dog dying, guess who win's?

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I wouldn't have any problem shooting a vicious, attacking dog. Ride my bike a lot too, but I try to avoid big hills! Don't give a rip what an irresponsible owner thinks. If it comes down to me getting bit, or the dog dying, guess who win's?

Bro, come on...the hills are where it's at!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
The only thing I'm going back and forth about is whether to report this attack.

I don't necessarily want dude's dog hauled off. But, the logical side of me says to file a report so that there is a record of this...in case it happens again.

They probably won't haul them off for the first complaint, unless there is major injury.

I'm sure it varies by jurisdiction, but in many places a first complaint for something like that would carry in-home "quarrantine." The animal must be kept inside the home for a certain number of days. A second complaint would probably lead to it being hauled off.

That will definitely put you on the owner's bad side though. Might get him to realize the dogs can be taken away, but any further interaction you have with him probably won't be good.

We had a very similar situation play itself out here a year or so ago. I don't remember all the details anymore, but IIRC a pit bull charged and chased an adjacent property owner into his garage. There was a gun in that garage, and he used it quite effectively. Guess where the public outcry was? It wasn't for the guy getting chased, it was for the "poor" dog who was killed. Evidently the guy had prior incidents with this dog, which is why a gun was in the garage, and had told the dog's owners he wasn't putting up with it any more. That turned into "you intentially shot my dog, and pre-meditated it to boot". When I read the article, I think the police were still deciding if they were getting involved. Not sure what the outcome was.

I had a 40-50 lb. dog charge me, while walking with my 1 y.o in a stroller. I planted a massive kick into his jaw. Stopped him in his tracks. The lady in the house came running out yelling "how dare I kick her dog?" and calling me every name in the book. Then she tried to turn it on me, because I was walking my dog and it was that "blank, blank German Shephard's fault" (my dog). I pointed out to her that he was under control the whole time and did nothing to provoke the attack. He was just walking quietly on the other side of the stoller, until the other dog shot out between two houses. He wasn't calm after this went down, but I still kept him on the sidewalk and was I was in control of him. I filed a police report, but the reality is that the officer taking the report didn't care in the least.

The point is, there are a lot of odd people in this world, and if you go down the path you've chosen you need to think of the downstream implications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Full strength red pepper spray bear repellent. That will stop him in his tracks. If the owner gives you a hard time let him have it as well..

Yep. Get a Go Pro for your rides, 2nd witness always there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TWG1572
We had a very similar situation play itself out here a year or so ago. I don't remember all the details anymore, but IIRC a pit bull charged and chased an adjacent property owner into his garage. There was a gun in that garage, and he used it quite effectively. Guess where the public outcry was? It wasn't for the guy getting chased, it was for the "poor" dog who was killed. Evidently the guy had prior incidents with this dog, which is why a gun was in the garage, and had told the dog's owners he wasn't putting up with it any more. That turned into "you intentially shot my dog, and pre-meditated it to boot". When I read the article, I think the police were still deciding if they were getting involved. Not sure what the outcome was.

Bang, bang, bang...its dead. YAY!!! Good for that
terrorized neighbor. No more vicious dog to deal with ever again.
I'm sure the police said to the dog owner,
"It is ALL your fault, for violating the laws regarding dogs.
The reason the dog is dead is because YOU failed to follow the laws"
wink.gif

Who gives a rats bum what "the mindless public" thought?
crackmeup2.gif

The ONLY thing that mattered was that the vicious dog was
NOT under the control of its owner, and not only that it was running at large, and it happened NUMEROUS times, and the victim was kind enough to inform the criminal owner that the next time would be the last time. The law finds the owner liable for all damages because they broke it. Why doesn't the idiot public get angry at the vicious dog owner for breaking every law on the books that DEMAND the dog be under the owners control at ALL times, and it can NEVER run at large.

Quote:

The point is, there are a lot of odd people in this world, and if you go down the path you've chosen you need to think of the downstream implications.

These people can be as odd as they want as long as it doesn't
threaten, impinge, or violate the laws governing them. When that
"oddball" starts threatening me in any way which violates the laws on the books it ends then and there. These self centered
jerks need to take note of that and be prepared for the consequences.

Last edited:
"[O]ne is 'privileged to destroy an animal for the purpose of defending himself or third persons against harm threatened by the animal, (a) if its actions led him to know or reasonably believe that the animal would inflict such harm and (b) the destruction was reasonable in view of the gravity of the harm threatened and (c) the person reasonably believed the harm could be prevented only by immediate destruction of the animal." (Devincenzi v. Faulkner (1959) 174 Cal.App.2d 250, 254-5.)

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

These people can be as odd as they want as long as it doesn't
threaten, impinge, or violate the laws governing them. When that
"oddball" starts threatening me in any way which violates the laws on the books it ends then and there. These self centered
jerks need to take note of that and be prepared for the consequences.

My comment was less about the "odd" people and more about his self preservation. I'd assume the hills of TN are similar to the hills of AR, where I lived for many years. What's legal, and what's culturally acceptable are two very different things. You are biking on a remote road, where someone who doesn't want company lives. That someone probably has a gun collection and is very likely related to the sheriff in some obscure way. Some "interesting" stuff will likely happen if the OP puts a round into a dog in front of the guy's house and he notices. That's based entirely on my experience living in an area where people such as the OP's dog owner also live. Maybe life is different in TN, I dunno.

There's two ways to live life. The first is to be an idealist, secure in your knowledge you are legally right. You strap your gun on your hip and ride back up that hill knowing full well you are going to shoot a dog. The second way is to realize that nothing good is going to come of riding back up that hill, and to change your route accordingly. You and the OP are clearly in the first camp, I find myself in the second. Good grief, it's just a hill. There are plenty more to be found.

Make no mistake, I have no sympathy for people who allow their dogs to attack passers by. I'm just not a person who sees the need to inflame a known bad situation even more.

Last edited:
I've made my decision. I am going to start carrying a pistol when I ride, in case I run into a pack of vicious dogs that could do real harm.

But, I'm going to call the guy next time I want to ride that hill and make sure the little biter is put up.

I've made my decision. I am going to start carrying a pistol when I ride, in case I run into a pack of vicious dogs that could do real harm.

But, I'm going to call the guy next time I want to ride that hill and make sure the little biter is put up.
Let him know you're armed and coming his way
laugh.gif

Next time I ride up that hill, I will have my Model 36 Glock .45 with me, and will use it to defend myself if necessary. I'd hate to do that, as I grew up with dogs, like them, and would never take the killing of an animal lightly. But, sometimes, with a vicious animal, there is no other choice.

I can only hope that the owner will learn from the experience and at least start tying the dog up. From his initial reaction and words, I can only assume that this was not their first encounter with a cyclist on that road. Unfortunately, my suspicion is that nothing will change, and someone else will be bitten. It won't be me, though.

If animal control (if your area has animal control) won't do anything about the dog, and the owner refuses to tie the dog up or put a fence up, then this is your only recourse and, in my opinion, is the proper recourse. You have every right to ride on the public road without getting attacked by a vicious dog. Next time you are in the area and the dog charges you, take care of business.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
45 cal packs a heck of a punch and has a lot or recoil that might cause you to crash as easily as the dog would. Why don't you carry something like a 38 caliber pistol which has way less recoil to bother you on the bike. I bet the result to the dog will be the same.

I hope this is a joke. If not, take the time to get educated. All the major handgun calibers recoil similarly. There certainly isn't enough recoil to throw a grown man off a bike.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Please forget the handgun, if you have to use it things won't end well. Instead, try ammonia in a water bottle. A splash in the face of any dog will stop them in their tracks.

Terrible advice. The guy could get a major artery ripped out and die, because he was carrying a squirt bottle of ammonia instead of the proper tool for the job.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sigh. I'll try again. It is the intent of the person bringing the gun that makes it right or wrong.

I carry a gun every, single, day. Does that make me a wannabe assassin just waiting to carve some notches into the grip of my firearm??? Do I "intend" to use it since I carry it every single day? Or am I just prepared for all eventualities? One would be stupid to be attacked and then not change their routine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
In all honesty I'd be looking for another hill to ride up.

I CANT understand this line of thinking. People are so quick to give up their personal liberty and freedom when faced with a threat. Unbelievable!! The OP has EVERY RIGHT to use this roadway for his enjoyment and pleasure without the fear of getting attacked by a vicious dog.

I've said it before and Ill say it again. While I am not against guns, I would use pepper spray on the dog instead. 1 time of that and I am sure he would learn. Carry a gun and the spray if it makes you feel better though. I would.

If he comes after you after the pepper spray, tell him to smile and wait for the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back