Tires for the Ody

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ody (see sig) now has about 17k on it. Right now, the OEM Michelin Primacy MXV4s will probably make it to 25k. I've been rotating them every 7.5k, but even then they are wearing like I would expect OEM tires to wear... FAST.

Even though I can push them to 25k, I may end up replacing them sooner. We are expecting a bad winter (by VA Blue Ridge standards) and I may want to replace them before the snow hits. A good all season is good enough for the amount of snow that we receive here. If the snow gets too bad, I just take out the Audi instead of the Ody and use that awesome Quattro.

So I am currently shopping for deals on 235/65R17 tires. Ultimately, this vehicle is transportation for my wife and godchildren, so I don't want to go with something of iffy quality. The tires I have been looking at so far are:

High: Michelin MXV4 - I have never had a bad experience with a Michelin tire. I fully expected the OEM versions to wear fast, but I don't have doubts about a non-OEM set.

Middle: Yokohama Avid Ascend - They seem to get great reviews and appear to be a very similar tire to the MXV4 at $40 less per tire.

Dark Horse: Firestone Precision Touring - They get excellent reviews, great warranty and the price is right.

So what say you about these choices? Any other tires I should be considering?

I like my Yoko's. I have the Avid Touring - S on the Accord. They seem to be wearing well and are a good value.

I'm not a Michelin fan, although I have to admit their tread does seem to wear very well. Seems like many around here who see a little snow but want to keep an all season use Nokian tires.

i have about 5k on the michelin defenders. So far so good, they ride a touch stiffer than the continental contipros.

I have heard Michelins have side wall cracking issues. Probably not anything other than cosmetic, but still.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
i have about 5k on the michelin defenders. So far so good, they ride a touch stiffer than the continental contipros.

I have Defenders on the Audi and I like them. Unfortunately, they don't make them in a 235/65R17 for the Ody or those would be my first choice.

Great feedback guys, keep it coming.

My dad put the precision touring tires on his Lexus and it rode surprisingly well. Well enough that we went with them on my gf's civic last fall. Her Civic handled the snow incredibly well.

If you go to the Firestone complete auto care store, the Affinity Touring tires are the same as the Precision Touring tires on Tirerack. They are NOT the same as the Affinity you'll see otherwise. A lot of the time, they have a 25% off or buy 3 get 1 for the Affinity Tourings.

Definitely worth pricing out!

Well, the Precision are new tires so, they're already better than worn Michelin's!

But, this is your family we're talking about! What makes you sleep at night?

IDK if another set of MXV4's are the best best choice as they're being replaced by the NEW Premier A/S and their availability will be from what's leftover!

I would buy tires based on this coming winters projection. It's supposed to be a dussy!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well, the Precision are new tires so, they're already better than worn Michelin's!

According to some on here - Michelins are the end all, be all of tires. Even worn ones; bald Michelins are better than brand new Coopers, Firestones, etc.

We have those exact same Primacy MXV4s on our MDX in P235/65R17 and they're wearing great. I hope to get an honest 60k out of them.

How many 1/32" tread do you have on yours? I may be interested in purchasing them from you. PM me.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
High: Michelin MXV4 - I have never had a bad experience with a Michelin tire. I fully expected the OEM versions to wear fast, but I don't have doubts about a non-OEM set.

By the way, there is no "non-OEM" version of this tire in this size. There's only one Michelin part number for this tire in this size. No matter where you get this tire...from a Honda factory or from your local Sam's Club, it's the same tire.

We first had the Latitude Tours on our MDX before the Primacys, and they'd do GREAT for you in the snow I think, but they were a little too aggressive for our preferences. They have pretty squared shoulders and rode more like truck tires. The MXV4s are smooth like silk and ride much smoother.

Have you had the alignment on your van checked? If so, what are the actual measurements?

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
My dad put the precision touring tires on his Lexus and it rode surprisingly well. Well enough that we went with them on my gf's civic last fall. Her Civic handled the snow incredibly well.

If you go to the Firestone complete auto care store, the Affinity Touring tires are the same as the Precision Touring tires on Tirerack. They are NOT the same as the Affinity you'll see otherwise. A lot of the time, they have a 25% off or buy 3 get 1 for the Affinity Tourings.

Definitely worth pricing out!

+1 Heard good things about those.

I have the Yokohama Avid Ascend S2 on our 2013 GC. These are the OEM's. They're not wearing all that well. 37K and they are about gone. I'll probably have to change them by 40K, 45K for sure. I'm looking for new tires also.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: The Critic
There appears to be many truck/suv tires in this size, but few passenger tires.

I feel weird about putting a truck tire on a minivan.

The Continental TrueContact may be worth a look in this size. $119/tire, and is supposed to be better than the Defender in every way.

Thanks for that tip, Critic. I've never been big on Contis, but after looking at that review I'm adding them to my list... expecially for that price!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
By the way, there is no "non-OEM" version of this tire in this size. There's only one Michelin part number for this tire in this size. No matter where you get this tire...from a Honda factory or from your local Sam's Club, it's the same tire.

This is good to know, as I haven't been impressed with the way the MXV4s have worn. The interesting thing is the wear on the Michelins is even and I have had the alignment done and it was very slightly out of spec. I don't have the #s since I am at work.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I have the Yokohama Avid Ascend S2 on our 2013 GC. These are the OEM's. They're not wearing all that well. 37K and they are about gone. I'll probably have to change them by 40K, 45K for sure. I'm looking for new tires also.

This is good to know. I'm sure the wear would be similar on an Ody given similar weights, etc. Maybe I will eliminate those as not being "minivan worthy".

Also, does anyone have thoughts on the new Cooper CS5s? Are they too new to market for their to be a consensus?

If you're planning on going with Tirerack, the General Altimax RT43 would be my suggestion because of the price and the $50 cash rebate. They also get decent reviews, but they are still pretty new.

I too have the MXV4 on our Ody, and at 17k miles also they are about half worn. I'll probably run them this winter and all of next year and replace before winter of 2015-16. The issue I have with our winter is that the heavy pig of a van is hard to get moving from a dead stop in snow, but the weight does help braking.

Edit: Another dark horse would be the Nokian Entyre. It's available through tiresavings.com and is priced pretty well for a Nokian. Since my wife is Finnish, I always look at Nokian as a viable option. Plus they have a 75k warranty.

I'd be interested in your experience with whatever you choose a year down the road.

Last edited:
Its not the tires on your van that are the problem...its your van. They are all like this. The Siennas are the same way...eat through tires no matter what brand or warranty. The Firestones on our Sienna are mostly worn out at 20k...the may make it to 30k but I doubt it. This is with proper pressure, rotations, and mostly highway driving. And they are rated for 65,000 miles. This is the norm, not the exception.

My theory of a reason is that these vans all come with passenger car sized tires, yet weigh as much or more than similar size SUVs with larger tires and more weight capacity. For example, the tires on my 3400 pound Escape are rated 104 while the tires on our 4500 Sienna are only rated 100. And the Sienna has a nearly 1500 pound payload capacity. The empty weight of our Sienna is 4500 pounds...add us and our junk, thats 5000+ easy. 5500 is typical for a road trip. All on passenger car tires. Its no wonder they wear out fast. They are carrying a larger percentage of their max weight, all of the time.

My advice, get the best riding, safest tires you can find and don't worry about the mileage rating, it won't matter much anyway.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
My theory of a reason is that these vans all come with passenger car sized tires, yet weigh as much or more than similar size SUVs with larger tires and more weight capacity. For example, the tires on my 3400 pound Escape are rated 104 while the tires on our 4500 Sienna are only rated 100. And the Sienna has a nearly 1500 pound payload capacity. The empty weight of our Sienna is 4500 pounds...add us and our junk, thats 5000+ easy. 5500 is typical for a road trip. All on passenger car tires. Its no wonder they wear out fast. They are carrying a larger percentage of their max weight, all of the time.

Good point. The vans are also very front heavy, at likely over 60% of the weight on the front. Perhaps one reason our MDX is wearing the tires better is because of its better weight distribution (55/45).

These tires have a load index of 103, so they're at least better-suited to the larger vehicles than the ones on your Sienna. Our Town & Country's tires had a load index of only 98. Our CR-V, with its much lighter weight and better weight distribution, has 102-index tires.

Some vehicles are certainly more "over-tired" than others, and I agree with you; this likely plays a part in wear.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Its not the tires on your van that are the problem...its your van. They are all like this. The Siennas are the same way...eat through tires no matter what brand or warranty. The Firestones on our Sienna are mostly worn out at 20k...the may make it to 30k but I doubt it. This is with proper pressure, rotations, and mostly highway driving. And they are rated for 65,000 miles. This is the norm, not the exception.

My advice, get the best riding, safest tires you can find and don't worry about the mileage rating, it won't matter much anyway.

Proper pressure is an interesting point... I have an 07 Odyssey , and found that bumping up the front tire pressure by 5 or more Psi reduced shoulder wear substantially. Spec is 33f 35r, I run 38f , 35r.

On Michelin Defenders.... 16 inchers though. Good so far... slightly firmer ride, with hard compound and extra psi's ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back