OIl Specs API Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was wondering if the API classification is different between small engines & car engines? I was looking through a Subaru EA190 manual and noticed the oil spec was "SE". The date on the manual is 2013. According to the PQIA chart "SE" was obsolete in 1979?

Thanks,
Trent

API classification is the same across the board. Does the manual say "SE only" or "SE or newer"?

Some engine manufacturers recommend slightly older API specs such as SJ or SL due to those older (but still current) specs having a more robust additive package.

The API classifications and definitions do not change.

Since the manf. specifies an obsolete oil, any modern oil should work.

I would recommend something such as:

4-Stroke

or a 5W30 HM.

if it specifies a 30 weight.

Last edited:
Another alternative to non-syn Rotella triple protection 10w30 is Valvoline Racing synthetic 10w30. Ive tried QS defy red bottle in the snow blower - and RT5 they were OK but not the best. Currently have the Valavoline in the 6500 generac - seems to prevent clattering after an hour of heavy load. Automotibe resource conserving PCMO just fall apart (for me) in unfiltered aircooled engines of higher load an output than a push mower.

Last edited:
OK,

Thanks for the replies. I work in Tech Support for an Outdoor Power company & was just looking for some clarification. I tend to be anal like that!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
"Use 4-stroke automotive detergent oil of API service class SE or higher grade."

Well, there's your answer.
smile.gif

It mentions the absolute minimum specification. It gives you the lowest possible option that will not affect the engine negatively. Most people want to know the minimum and only some want to know what the manufacturer actually recommends. Most manuals specify both in some regard.

For example, Briggs always recommends their synthetic 5W-30 which carries the most recent SN rating. If you look at their minimum, they call for an SE to SJ spec on most of their engines.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Does Briggs actually test their brand of oil to get a API symbol on the bottle, or do they just say it does?.,,

There is no API certification on the B&S synthetic 5W-30 bottle, I have one in front of me. It says "Warranty Certified", that's all. I got 6 quarts for $4.78/qt. at Lowe's. They since "raised/corrected" the price to $9.98/qt. At that price you're better off buying a 5 liter jug of Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 at Walmart, it's rated SL. I don't know what makes the B&S oil a "small engine oil" vs Mobil 1 HM 5W-30

Whimsey

Why is it the makers of lawn equipment oil, and motorcycle oil makers can mix up a batch of oil that isn't tested to meet any given spec, and then charge upwards of $10 a qt for it?. When oil that HAS been tested and assigned a API symbol and rating, sells for just about half what lawn and motorcycle oil does?.,,

Why is it the makers of lawn equipment oil, and motorcycle oil makers can mix up a batch of oil that isn't tested to meet any given spec, and then charge upwards of $10 a qt for it?. When oil that HAS been tested and assigned a API symbol and rating, sells for just about half what lawn and motorcycle oil does?.,,

Because people will buy it and think they need a specialty oil.

Whenever I can I recommend PCMO and HDEO for people's OPE. I like Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 and 10w30.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Because people will buy it and think they need a specialty oil.

Whenever I can I recommend PCMO and HDEO for people's OPE. I like Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 and 10w30.

+1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back