CT Reflex De-Icer -49degC WW Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, after years of buying really cheap $1.99 windscreen fluid I'm fed up.

I used to use the cheap stuff year round for fear of cold snaps freezing my reservoir (it takes me over a month to use a jug, and the CDN Fit holds a whole jug.)

Now, I found out in the past year that the cheap Winter blue WW fluid during the Summer months GLUES the nitrile OEM blades to the bottom of the windshield just above the cowl.

So, every time before I got into my Fit I had to remember to YANK the blades off the glass as they were stuck there and I didn't want to break my linkage or damage the wiper motor.

So I purchased Summer fluid for the first time in my life, I got Rain X Bug WW fluid.

AND, no more wipers sticking to the glass. And also the pump and nozzles seemed to operate better like it was cleaning them or something, or the Rain-X teflon lubricates better.

So I spoiled myself today when at CT on a rainy day out here in Dorion.

I bought, not one, but TWO jugs of Reflex De-Icer -49C wiper fluid.

I got fed up of the cheap stuff "crystalising" on the glass when you are trying to just drive off to work on a moderately cold day. -10degC and you can't see.

I can't wait forever till the glass warms up, so I bought this stuff.

I'm not rich, but I am certainly getting too old for cheap WW fluid in such a bad climate.

Thoughts?

I'm a windshield fanatic, so I agree with this post.
laugh.gif

Love the Rain-X Bug Wash too. Prestone bug wash leaves too much residue.

Agreed. The cheap blue stuff isn't worth the hassle. Having wipers and WW fluid that just works is well worth the price.

Around here the cheap blue stuff is $2/gallon. The Rain-X stuff is $3/gallon. No shouting from me to use a much better product for a buck more.

I hate cheap washer fluid also lol I've been using Windex Bug in the summer, and Windex de-icer in the winter and this is has been the best stuff I've used. You can smell the ammonia in it. Works really well. Way better than Blue... The bottle has the same company that is on the Rain-Ex bottle. I'm not sure if it is the same formula, but comparing the bottles, there seems to be a very slight color difference. Anyway, It is $2.97 at Walmart. I don't mind spending an extra $ per jug to get something that actually cleans the windshield and does a much better job with snow and ice.

Interesting. Never had a problem running the cheapo Walmart winter stuff year round. Then again, I fill the tank once per year. And I never use it in winter if I can avoid it, especially not if it is below freezing.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I'm not rich, but I am certainly getting too old for cheap WW fluid in such a bad climate.

Thoughts?

I would say you made a good choice. I used to do blue stuff in the winter and bugwash in the summer, but you are well aware what can happen with Canadian weather. For the last number of years, I've stuck with the premium washer fluids with extra bug detergency and a lower freeze point. I haven't tried the CT stuff, though. I usually get the Esso or Petro-Canada -45 C year round stuff. I think those two are identical, since they're exactly the same colour and in exactly the same bottles (with different labels, of course).

The blue stuff was great in the taxis, since the reservoir never got to that outside -40 C temperature and they weren't on the highway, and the defrosters were up to temp when being used. I had half a pallet of the stuff left over up until last year, when I just gave it away to be rid of it.

Wow Garak, I have three jugs and I feel bad about giving it away.

Half a pallet of the blue stuff!!

I think I will use it before and after the really nasty weather when you still have to pull the wipers off the glass to unstick them anyway.

Would love to see if this De Icer stuff frosts up when you are driving the car away cold.

That was the biggest PITA with the blue stuff. I used to even have to pull over to let the car warm up more so the WW fluid doesn't create frost patterns that blind you.

I had been cheating a little and getting the really cheap -35C stuff, but last winter wasn't the year to do that...
Fortunately the tank didn't split when it separated and froze up in the Focus, but I was surprised how hard it was to get thawed out... A couple little bottles of gas line anti freeze finally did it.
I am pretty good at avoiding the cheap fluid freeze up in the morning, ie don't use it until your windshield warms up a bit, so I've never felt the need for the really expensive stuff, but maybe I'll try it once to see what I'm missing!

Originally Posted By: Falken
Wow Garak, I have three jugs and I feel bad about giving it away.

Half a pallet of the blue stuff!!

I paid only about 80 cents a jug, so it wasn't a big deal. I spend too much time on the highway to want the blue stuff anyhow.

Petro-Points and Esso Extra points are a good way to get the good stuff for basically nothing.

I usually use Rain-X de-icer washer fluid, but I just bought a jug of Reflex -49c and used Petro Points to get a jug of Petro -45c (purple stuff).

Haven't used either yet, but friends say the Reflex & Petro fluids are outstanding.

Anyone here who has used all 3 ?

I haven't tried all three, but here's a bit of a tidbit: The Petro-Canada, Esso, and Husky -45 C are all identical colours with the exact same jug, with a different label sleeve.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
Haven't used either yet, but friends say the Reflex & Petro fluids are outstanding.

Are both of these ONLY available in the northland??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back