Really oversize FL1/PH8 - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the industrial section, but I thought I'd give everyone else a chance to get a look at this. This is for our Clark C500 forklift with Perkins 4.236 propane engine. These engines are known to throw down some serious oil pressure on cold startup, and have high oil flow rate in general. I wanted to give the engine the best chance of operating without bypassing, so I did some research and found a much longer version of the FL1/PH8/51515 filter in the NAPA Catalog. This is a direct cross for the Baldwin BT238 and Donaldson P551603. Both average a touch over 7" long. Pic is of it next to a Fram XG8 Ultra Synthetic from a '67 Shelby GT500. Not going to use it on the GT500, because it will probably drag on the floor.
laugh.gif

Oh, and pics of the GT500:

We used to have a few large Ford trucks that we ran that filter on. Have you checked the specs of this longer filter against the regular 51515 filter? Some of these larger filters do not have near the small-particle filtering capacity of the smaller filters. Although in this case, it may not matter since you want the filter to have other qualities instead of excellent filtering.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
We used to have a few large Ford trucks that we ran that filter on. Have you checked the specs of this longer filter against the regular 51515 filter? Some of these larger filters do not have near the small-particle filtering capacity of the smaller filters. Although in this case, it may not matter since you want the filter to have other qualities instead of excellent filtering.

It's on-point. But even being a 4-litre 4-cylinder it has an 8-quart sump, and is propane powered, so it's REAL easy on the oil. Comes out clear, even after 250 hours operating in constant dirt clouds. Engine looks like new on the inside, even after 3000+ hours.

This is actually spec filter for many other Perkins engine apps, as well.

Quote:
An automatic in a Shelby?

Confuses me too, but yes, it was done.

Quote:
Great thing about the 3/4-16 filter thread is that there are numerous options.

Exactly. I stumbled onto this one playing around with the Donaldson spec search. Would have gotten the Donaldson filter, but they're hard to come by around here. It will get that one next time, however.

And yes, the GT500 is so bad.
cool.gif

I used a PH8A on my then new 1979 VW Scirocco. All I had to do was grind away a tiny bit of the oil filter adapter that was bolted to the engine block. The filter was larger, more available and cheaper than the exact VW sourced filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back