Would you use a slightly scratched FL820s filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to install an FL-820s into my 95 Thunderbird with the wheels in the air. This is one car you want to do on ramps, or even from the top. Problem is there is interference from the stabilizer bar in that position when raised and barely room to get it in. I put a nice long scratch in the filter (possibly from the A/C compressor bolt) that very slightly indented the metal(I can feel it with my fingernail).

Is this an issue with bursting or should I ahead and install? Just lazy to make another trip to Walmart, but I don't want to risk anything. The oil pressure is normal(high at startup, mid after driving a bit), I have a variable sender for the dummy gauge.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
MN12 body filter changes are always a PITA. On my Mark VIII LSC with the thicker sway bars, it was that much harder.

Use the filter. No big deal.

So true , There is a route to get it out, But still PITA 2 fold.

Looked at it again and it was mostly scratched paint. Installed, took her up to 5000RPM, tried to bury the oil pressure gauge (purrs like a kitten at 250K, only drivetrain work was valve guide seals and egr tube, stock engine and trans) with motorcraft 5w20 oil. Oil is still there. Too bad the car is rusting away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Slightly scratched? I'd use it, but not for the winter if they use salt on your roads...

Really? It would take multiple winters (and all of the seasons in between as well) for rust to compromise the shell of an oil filter to the point of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back