German oil fullsynthetic and synthesetechnologie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the latest (late 2011) TSB.

The following Liqui-Moly oils are VW 502 approved:
Leichlauf HC 7 5w40
Profi Premium 5w40
Synthoil Longtime 0w30
Diesel High Tech 5w40
Nachfull-Ol 5w40
Pro-Engine M 400 5w40
Top Tec 4100 5w40

The following are 505.01:
Diesel High Tech 5w40
Nachfull-Ol 5w40
Pro-Engine M 400 5w40
Top Tec 4100 5w40

The following are 504/507:
Pro-Engine M 600 5w30
Top Tec 4200 5w30

Others meeting 502, 505.01, 504, or 507 (some not available in North America):
Leichlauf HC 7 5w40
Profi Premium 5w40
Synthoil Longtime 0w30
Diesel High Tech 5w40
Leichtlauf Special LL 5w30
Longtime High Tech 5w30
Nachfull-Ol 5w40
Pro-Engine M 300 5w30
Pro-Engine M 400 5w40
Pro-Engine M 500 5w30
Top Tec 4100 5w40

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/2040_Synthoil%20Premium%205W-40.pdf/$file/2040_Synthoil%20Premium%205W-40.pdf

"LIQUI MOLY also recommends
this product for vehicles for which
the following specifications are
required:
VW 502 00, 505 00"

It does not say that it is actually approved, and Synthoil Premium 5w40 isn't on the VW list. It just says "synthetic" on their US website, whatever that means. It's a hydrocracked group III, and is not the same as the European version.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1839315

There is Synthoil High Tech 5w40 in Europe, which comes in the same color bottle but with a different label. Again, it does not appear on the list nor does LM say it is actually approved. It is in the "fully synthetic" category on their website, meaning it's group IV.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/1306%20Synthoil%20High%20Tech%20SAE%205W-40_EN.pdf/$file/1306%20Synthoil%20High%20Tech%20SAE%205W-40_EN.pdf

"LIQUI MOLY recommends this product for vehicles for which the following
specifications are required
VW 502 00/505 00"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
A lot of Americans will say buy the oil based on performance not the group but when you pay pocket money (in comparison) for oil that's a fair statement.

You and I have certainly had our fair share of discussions concerning group content. At least until recently, up here in Canada, they were pretty much charging Group IV prices for Group III oils, and still do unless it's on sale. At least now, we're beginning to approach American prices on our sales. PP can be had at $24 for 4.73 L on rollback. Motul and other European brands tend to get a bit expensive here, but probably still cheaper than what they get hit with in Europe.

Just received my 10L of Motul Xcess 8100 5W-40. In big letters it's labeled 100% Synthetic. On the back of the jug it states: FR, 100%synthese; DE,Vollsynthetisches Motorenol. I read this as full synthetic. Am I right ?

Originally Posted By: dennishiip
Just received my 10L of Motul Xcess 8100 5W-40. In big letters it's labeled 100% Synthetic. On the back of the jug it states: FR, 100%synthese; DE,Vollsynthetisches Motorenol. I read this as full synthetic. Am I right ?

I think so.

However a thing that I realized is that it makes little sense to speak of synthetic or not (except for a costs matter).
Even the oils based on "sintetich technology" are in all respects synthetic oil.
Rather, it makes more sense to speak of bases: GP III, IV GP and so on. At least this is the idea that I have done.

Trav,

Originally Posted By: Trav

In France and the rest of Europe (except Germany, Austria and Switzerland. A&S were still using the German standard last time i looked in 2011) can call anything synthetic as long as they change the base stock by hydro cracking or maybe other methods.

You can exclude Switzerland from this list. We have in our stores oils labeled as fully synthetic even though they are hc synthese.

Last edited:
its 2018 + i see some "advertised" oils made in germany with synthoil on the label as well as made in Germany but being mid $30 range i an not believing its PAO + or Ester. could sellers be "cheating" with what they show???

Originally Posted by benjy
its 2018 + i see some "advertised" oils made in germany with synthoil on the label as well as made in Germany but being mid $30 range i an not believing its PAO + or Ester. could sellers be "cheating" with what they show???

Oils that have full synthetic designation and SOLD in Germany must be PAO or Ester. Oils made in Germany but sold elsewhere could be Group III oils and still have full synthetic designation.

just looking at a "synthetic" oils price usually indicates its base oil type but i like to know what i am paying for which is why i use Amsoil NO more!!! not a big deal but getting something other than what you "thought" it was stinks IMO. i was considering LiquiMoly 5-40 on amazon for girlfriends 13 Malibu that is getting thirstier as the miles rack up, but only 55,000 should NOT be an issue IMO!!

just looking at a "synthetic" oils price usually indicates its base oil type but i like to know what i am paying for which is why i use Amsoil NO more!!! not a big deal but getting something other than what you "thought" it was stinks IMO. i was considering LiquiMoly 5-40 on amazon for girlfriends 13 Malibu that is getting thirstier as the miles rack up, but only 55,000 should NOT be an issue IMO!!

They still have low noack in the ss series. I think LM stinks more. And no more LM for me for sure.

Why would you get Liqui Moly? Becase it ahs oversized Made in Germany letters?
Liqui Moly is prime example of marketing HC oils as full synthetic. In the end of the day, final product is more important then what is composition of base oil.
Castrol 0W40 is your safe bet or Mobil1 0W40. Cheaper, readily accessible in your local Wal mart, and sales tax actually ends up in your local community.

Originally Posted by V70tdi
Interesting Reading. I was sure that the low cost GM oil i buy from Germany was a hydrocracked oil but it says vollsyntetisches in description so its maybe a better oil than i tought from the beginning. Use it in our MB E270cdi and Tahoe 5.7
https://oeldepot24.de/motoroel/moto...r/opel/gm-opel-5w-30-dexos2-5-liter.html

Have it worked well? Have used it for about 10k km in my hilux . Its a dexos 2 oil only and dont have the real MB approval or any other approvals.

i buy NOTHING castrol as they are the reason group III are legally marketed + sold as "synthetic" since 1999!!! they were actually illegally selling Syntec as synthetic BEFORE the advertising council changed the LAW!!!!

i buy NOTHING castrol as they are the reason group III are legally marketed + sold as "synthetic" since 1999!!! they were actually illegally selling Syntec as synthetic BEFORE the advertising council changed the LAW!!!!

How does the advertising council have the right to change laws? Are there elections for these people or something?

Originally Posted by Garak
How does the advertising council have the right to change laws? Are there elections for these people or something?

Lmao.

Monkeys typing on typewriters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back