going a full year with slight fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
using 5w-20 Royal Purple Syn. since April '14, only have 1750 miles on the oil.....I've posted UOA's here of my 2008 F150 4X4 5.4l V8 that showed some dilution , question - would it be wise to stretch my oil change till next April '15 ?, I doubt I'll even reach 3000 miles then. should be OK, right ?
my posted UOA's are on this site, I don't know how to pull them up, PC illiterate :)

thanks

Go for a long drive on the highway keeping the revs up to.4k plus. This will heat the oil enough to boil the fuel and moisture out of th e oil ans you"re good to.go
smile.gif

It's too bad there is not something better than a "fuel sniffer" to detect fuel dilution. There's got to be an easier way to chase this problem. In the mean time maybe you should do as suggested and run the snot out of your engine more often.

If it was mine I would either do as suggested and run it for a highway trip every once in awhile or just go with motorcraft oil and fram filter changes every 6 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: phillyFX4
gonna do it, I'll get a UOA and post it. which lab would you guys suggest?
thanks

Site sponsor, Blackstone.

I've "chickened out" :) .....upon reading my UOA from 2011 I'm going to test this oil (RP) now and if the fuel dilution is better then I'll do the 1 year run next year with RP. I plan on keeping the 08' F150, only has 40K on the odom. Let's see what Blackstone says first ..... was on the Blackstone site and am confused on what I need precisely for my engine, which tests to order, can anyone help with that ?, I'd like to get a definitive analysis of my engine.
sorry about the change in plans
thanks

Driving the car on the highway simply to get the oil hot is crazy IMO. Not to mention a waste of time & gas. Wait until you have a few trips you have to make using the truck, then combine them when possible. You'll be fine waiting until next April to change the oil. It's not like that's never been done before - 3000 miles & 1 year is nothing, even with fuel dilution. The paranoia of compulsive oil changes must be stopped....or not. If you love changing oil and have money to blow on UOA's...go for it.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The paranoia of compulsive oil changes must be stopped....or not. If you love changing oil and have money to blow on UOA's...go for it.

X2, however, I think it goes beyond money. Just because you can AFFORD to waste doesn't mean you should. You're not extending the useful life of your car. If you are bored and just want to mess with it slap a bypass filter on it and go even longer between OC's.

well, looking @ some of the comments from the last analysis the oil wasn't that "healthy" after 6 months.....I just want to see how it's doing now, 2 1/2 years later, on RP.
I'm not one to abstain from alcohol for 2 or 3 weeks knowing my liver enzymes were a little bit high when I know I'm due for another physical :), I know guys who do that :)
So going for highway drives just ain't me but I will consider doing that after this analysis.
I'm using the same oil, RP and depending on what Blackstone says I'll decide whether to extend to a year.
Any advice on what I should ask for on my analysis besides fuel and TBN or am I good to go with that?
thanks

Definitive analysis of what?

I've "chickened out" :) .....upon reading my UOA from 2011 I'm going to test this oil (RP) now and if the fuel dilution is better then I'll do the 1 year run next year with RP. I plan on keeping the 08' F150, only has 40K on the odom. Let's see what Blackstone says first ..... was on the Blackstone site and am confused on what I need precisely for my engine, which tests to order, can anyone help with that ?, I'd like to get a definitive analysis of my engine.
sorry about the change in plans
thanks

I went on Blackstones website and the basic test costs $25. I guess I'll need/ask to add TBN, fuel and.....? that should be it right ?
I hope I'm reading their website right ?

kschachn said:
Definitive analysis of what?

I went on Blackstones website and the basic test costs $25. I guess I'll need/ask to add TBN, fuel and.....? that should be it right ?
I hope I'm reading their website right ?

TBN test is an extra $10.
Fuel % is included in the basic test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back