2001 LR Discovery Rehab Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a new radiator a few days ago. Should be here Monday. The vent tube nipple snapped at some point. Most likely when laying across engine to reach the impossibly located coil pack mounting bolts.

Also ordered an UView Airlift 2. Have wanted one for a few years now. I'll let you know how it works, the YouTube videos are impressive. I'll be doing a few more coolant changes, flushing with distiller water to remove deathcool, before filling with peak gloabal life time. Forester and legacy are approaching time to change coolant too, so figured it made sense to go ahead and get the Airlift.

List so far:

Head gaskets, resurfaced heads
Timing set
Oli pan, front cover and main front resealed
Valve seals
Tensioner and pulleys replaced, belt
Thermostat
Water pump
All seals to get to the HG
Plugs and wires
Air filter and cleaned MAF
Cleaned TB
Two oil/filter changes

Ran it twice on the ST 10w-40. Once to operating temp, plus ten minutes. Then another run for ten to fifteen, still pretty warm from first start. Oil was brown when drained. Not black or really dark, but noticible difference from the oil poured in fresh. Shop is pretty dusty, and the engine was open for alot longer than I expected. Figured a quick rinse was worth the $20 to get out what ever might have found its way into the engine. We tried to keep it covered so stuff wouldn't get in, but doubt our efforts were 100%. Plus cleaners/solvents we used on the block before seating the heads were in there to some degree. Mostly brake cleaner which should have flashed off before we even ran it.

Pulled it out of the shop today, and got some clean up done on the shop floor. Sounds good. Starts right up nicely.

Will pull old radiator out tomorrow, and look at protecting the wiring harness at a few places. Need some 3/4" wire loom. Only have 1/2" and lots of the original looming is brittle/missing.

Radiator swapped. Everything back together...

And...

The F'n nylon bleed screw in the upper radiator hose failed! At one point I wondered out loud if it really would have been a bad thing if Germany had in if fact invaded and conquered England during the second world war. Quirky doesn't begin to describe the "engineering" on a 2000 vintage land rover.

New hose assembly is $100, because a 1/4" nylon screw failed. Arrrgggh.

New hose is here. Sent the wife to LR dealer an hour away. About the same as over-nighting a decent aftermarket one cost wise. At least nothing else needs to be removed for installation.

Hope to drive it home tonight...

Upper radiator hose is on. Drove her home. Coolant held level. Still some work to do. New tires are mounted, brakes need to be checked and inspection is due. It's been along journey, but things are starting to look better.

Trans filter, drain, and refill with castrol dex3. Added a bottle of lubegard red for good measure. New pads and brakes bled today.

Found I have a leak in the ACE system. Hope it is a banjo bolt on the high pressure side of the pump. Didn't get a chance to track it down today. Maybe get lucky and a new washer or two will fix it? The ACE system seems to be more trouble than it's worth from what I've read.

Couldn't find replacements for the crush washers locally. So I just over torqured the existing washers. Seems to be holding for now.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

And...

The F'n nylon bleed screw in the upper radiator hose failed! At one point I wondered out loud if it really would have been a bad thing if Germany had in if fact invaded and conquered England during the second world war. Quirky doesn't begin to describe the "engineering" on a 2000 vintage land rover.

Yah, well, look how many british auto manufacturers are still around (and still under british ownership). Coincidence? I really doubt it.

Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver

And...

Yah, well, look how many british auto manufacturers are still around (and still under british ownership). Coincidence? I really doubt it.

The entire world ended upnin recession due to the fraud of American bankers.

Coincidence? I really doubt it.

Are you trying to kill us by withholding pics? This is a great story. Would really like to see your baby.

Sorry, I'm on vacation now. If I can figure a way to post a pic I will, but probably will be next week.

Aren't Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge owned by Fiat now? Fiat are Italian.

General Motors (Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC) went bankrupt as well didn't they? Didn't they also rape a boat load of money from the US taxpayer to stay in business? I think they did.

As for Ford, they reckon that if the other manufacturers were not bailed out by the US taxpayer then they themselves also would have shut down.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-09...ttner-says.html

As for quality standards, it's a 13 year old, badly maintained vehicle so what do you expect?

One Pic, at least:

IMG_0719.JPG

It's like new on the outside that's for sure

Once you're done with it, it'll be like new on the inside

have you changed a brake light bulb in it yet?
eek.gif

No Bulbs changed yet. Do need to replace a chipped headlight assembly at some point.

Oh, and yesterday, all three rear doors decided they did no longer wish to unlock with either the remote or dash switch... Oh Joy!

Drives nice, though. Just ~200 miles on her since the headgaskets were done.

The brake light bulbs are a pain in the...because of those rear seats

flask of coffee and a swear box needed

Originally Posted By: bigjl

And...

The entire world ended upnin recession due to the fraud of American bankers.

Coincidence? I really doubt it.

cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Starting to think about the winter OCI on the LRD2. I have on hand a 5qt jug of 5w-30 MaxLife Semi-Syn and a few quarts of SynPower 5w-40 and was thinking of running 5+1 over the winter.

Too thin? Looked at voa on the MaxLife 5w-30 and am wondering if it is "enough" of a package for this engine. Thoughts?

It will be a few weeks or more before I change, but I figured I should start worrying about it now instead of waiting to the last minute and going into a full panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back