Sam's club Certified brand Dex III ATF any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if there were any positive stories out there. The intended trans is a 1995 GM 4L60E with an unknown amount of miles on the fluid. I found an MSDS from 2010 that lists the manufacturer as Amalie Oil Company out of Tampa, FL, but I wonder if that's up to date.

It runs less than $2 per quart, and I see no Allison TES-389 designation for it. Amalie's own website designates their Dex III brand as "Allison C-4 Quality" - wouldn't a TES-389 rating be better? From the pics, can anyone tell if Amalie is indeed the supplier? I could email them and find out if there's any up to date info.

bitog1_zpsdcb2954f.jpg

bitog3_zps0aa82bd1.jpg

bitog2_zps77a0c135.jpg

I have the same trans in a '95. Have DEX VI in it now, and can't tell any difference from the Pennzoil licensed DEX 3 that was previously in it. I'd stay with DEX VI, or if you prefer, Valv Maxlife.
49.gif

Fair enough. A while back I had done some research and the general thought at the time was to stick with a Dex III in the older transmissions. It looks like things may have changed.

Also, a little research revealed that the WU on the bottle means Warren Uni-lube? Their products seem to be hit or miss from what I'm reading. Maybe three gallons of MaxLife are in my future.

That's the very stuff I run in "Thunder the Wonder Pig" and the ever faithful "Bluesmobile." According to the learned oil wizards in Bitog land, all is well as long as you plan on changing fluid every 30,000 miles.

Why use an inferior ATF when better options are available?
Use any DexronVI or equivalent.

MerconV is another option if Dex6 is too expensive.

Sam's Club Certified ATF = Walmart Supertech ATF - I suppose ?

Last edited:
As I understand it, GM is no longer trying to make sure that all DexIII still meets the specification. They also no longer buy by the tank car load.

So some subpar stuff could get thru. However, Sams has VERY deep pockets, so I think they would make sure to sell good stuff. They would not want a class action. I have part of a case in my garage. I think you would be safe buying it. Is it the best ever, probably not. Does it meet specification, yes. If I bought a car with a neglected tranny, and wanted to do several quick changes to flush out the old stuff, I would buy a case and then finish up with a name brand, and then use that brand from from then on. I also had a hose rupture on my power steering, and drive a few miles with low lube. I used this to flush any burned oil out of my PS, then switched to regular PS fluid. Seems to have worked, that was 20K miles ago.

I am confident a major brand will still make quality oil. I just do not know if I can trust a minor brand. The cost difference is not that great.

Rod

Probably just another basic mineral based DexronIII equivalent, I would be very shocked if Sams was carrying a product worthy of an advisory.

Products like this are goods for short use but remember mineral based DexronIII fluids will shear down about 4.5 cSt @100ºC viscosity within approximately 30,000 miles, so you might be better off going with a more shear stable DexronVI that won't go that low.

For 2$/quart it would be good for flushing out a neglected transmission before working in a new fluid, but DexronVI at Walmart is already about $4.30/Quart and I can get Maxlife dex merc in gallons for $16.50, both of which are never going to lose viscosity as rapidly as a mineral based fluid.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Probably just another basic mineral based DexronIII equivalent, I would be very shocked if Sams was carrying a product worthy of an advisory.

Products like this are goods for short use but remember mineral based DexronIII fluids will shear down about 4.5 cSt @100ºC viscosity within approximately 30,000 miles, so you might be better off going with a more shear stable DexronVI that won't go that low.

For 2$/quart it would be good for flushing out a neglected transmission before working in a new fluid, but DexronVI at Walmart is already about $4.30/Quart and I can get Maxlife dex merc in gallons for $16.50, both of which are never going to lose viscosity as rapidly as a mineral based fluid.

I agree with post. I think there definitely more value in VML or Supertech Dex vi.

FWIW, I ended up using Havoline MD-3 for less than double the cost of the Sam's fluid. I wonder if Dex VI would have been okay for my application, but I feel safer with a name brand Dex III and regular changes.

I have a newer GM that uses Dex VI, and I have already purchased a case plus a few quarts of Havoline Dex VI for a full flush in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back