MY Corolla CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 Corolla with the CVT has 1900 rpm`s at 70 mph on flat land. It does 1500 rpm at 55 mph on flat roads. I don`t notice it driving any different than any other auto transmission. And after a check of over 4000 miles my dash read out says 38.5 mpg . It drives comfy and should be reliable if past Corollas are any result . I personally think they look good, as looks are subjective. It has the same room in the back seat as the bigger Camry. But what you don`t see much love in the Auto magazines because it doesn`t drive like a sports car. These are just some of my observations and I really like the new car.

They've really made some improvements to the CVT programming to make the drivability better for the average user.

This is a bit off topic, but it is rare that I see a Corolla nowadays. The Gen 3 Prius outnumbers it 4:1 around here - and for very good reason.

Jeep Patriot 2012

I am fairly hooked on CVT. Still not used to the engine braking. When coasting, braking engages at 40 - 35mph, then disengages at 10mph, when I'm almost to the red light/stop sign. You can imagine how it would feel if the vehicle suddenly takes off when you're ready to start stopping.

Now, when I drive an automatic that has more than 4 forward speeds, all of the shifting drives me crazy.

I understand CVTs, in fact I had one at one point. I am not sure I like the durability/performance ratio as advantageous at this point though. My opinion, FWIW, is that any four speed or better auto is all you need to a point. I will go one further and say currently, six speed autos are about as much as I would want. Higher number of ratios = more shifting, more wear, etc in order to use those extra gears. I really subscribe to the simple and proven is better school of thought. My dad and sister both have four speed auto corollas, and get @35-38MPG on the highway. When the CVT has been developed more fully, I will be more amenable personally to owning one again.

The 1900rpm is amazing. My Corolla really revs up to keep 70mph . It hums over 2500rpm for sure. Maybe even 2800rpm yet it gets around 37mpg. What's up with that? Anybody?

As far as CVT, my Nissan Sentra 2010 purred and was a well built car. But the cvt would never change ratio when cold (40F or lower). She'd go to 3500rpm just to do 30mph . Not good. They tried a lot. But I got worn down and traded.

My experience... Junk. But just my experience.

CVTs allow a much larger overall gear ratio spread, so the 1900 @70mph rpm looks to be OK. And a good thing for fuel economy.
I notice my 2013 Sonata tranny holds gears longer and doesn't engage the lockup until the engine temp has moved a few bars to the warm side.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
How do you like the LED headlamps?

The LED headlights are standard on all new Corollas and they work great . They are just on the low beams and when you flick to high beams there isn`t that great noticeable brightness increase that you get with standard bulbs. They are a nice bright white color also .

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
You should do a comparison check of miles gone ÷ gallons into the tank at a fill-up vs the on-board pc.

yea I`ve never done that so I`m hoping that the cars computer read out is fairly accurate. This 38.5 is over a 4000 mile span since it was reset last. Over winter it was around 32.5 average mpg on the read-out so as you can see cold winter driving does affect mpg . I am not sure how accurate the cars mpg computer actually is and I`ve asked about that to others and they say it should be fairly accurate. My older cars I always did it the old way of dividing miles by gas used.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
I understand CVTs, in fact I had one at one point. I am not sure I like the durability/performance ratio as advantageous at this point though. My opinion, FWIW, is that any four speed or better auto is all you need to a point. I will go one further and say currently, six speed autos are about as much as I would want. Higher number of ratios = more shifting, more wear, etc in order to use those extra gears. I really subscribe to the simple and proven is better school of thought. My dad and sister both have four speed auto corollas, and get @35-38MPG on the highway. When the CVT has been developed more fully, I will be more amenable personally to owning one again.
I can understand where you are coming from Busa. I`m a hoping that since the CVT`s have been around for awhile now that Toyota has got the manufacture down pat . I think the CVT in a small family car is the way to go if they do turn out to be very reliable. I don`t think it`s something that you would ever see in a sports car though. Jim

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
How does the engine braking(from the CVT) effect the snow/ice stopping, when applying the brakes?
I was a little off. On my Patriot braking dis-engages at 20mph, not 10.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
How does the engine braking(from the CVT) effect the snow/ice stopping, when applying the brakes?
I was a little off. On my Patriot braking dis-engages at 20mph, not 10.

Is the Patriot using a CVT? I realize that there is ice in TX...So, you have had experience on ice while the engine is lowering the RPM's and braking with a CVT?

I am just curious how this would affect the stopping here in the north!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
My 2014 Corolla with the CVT has 1900 rpm`s at 70 mph on flat land. It does 1500 rpm at 55 mph on flat roads. I don`t notice it driving any different than any other auto transmission. And after a check of over 4000 miles my dash read out says 38.5 mpg . It drives comfy and should be reliable if past Corollas are any result . I personally think they look good, as looks are subjective. It has the same room in the back seat as the bigger Camry. But what you don`t see much love in the Auto magazines because it doesn`t drive like a sports car. These are just some of my observations and I really like the new car.

I have nearly 10,000 miles on my 2014 Corolla ECO with the CVT. My mpg is around 35 but I'm doing a lot of stop and go driving. On the highway it is near 40. I got rid of a 2012 Cruze that was spending too many days at the dealer for never ending problems and recalls.
The CVT in the Corolla has been flawless so far. I can't find anything negative about it. It operates far better than many conventional auto transmissions I've had. Don't know if it will last 200,000 miles but not I'm not concerned at this point.

The back seat room was what sold me on the Corolla. It has as much leg room as a midsize and is only an inch or 2 narrower for shoulder room. That doesn't matter until you have three adults in the back and that almost never happens.

ems1 , Yes coming from an 09 Scion XB with a bunch of room in the back seat that was a concern for me . The backseat is plenty roomy and 4 good size adult men can ride in comfort in this new Corolla. As a side note I don`t like sitting 3 across in ANY car in the back seat. Sitting with my knees together very long is not comfortable.

Good to hear! They really made the Corolla a great looking small car with the current style. I didn't know it came with a CVT option.

My 2012 Subaru Legacy CVT (leased and returned), was awesome. RPMs at ~75mph were around 1900 on that one too.

In regards to compression braking or grade logic, the only late model CVT I've driven that had pretty aggressive grade-logic when coasting down hills is on the Nissan Rogue CVT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back