Funny Noise after Beating on Ram??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get new tires on my Ram in signature. I decided to smoke the rear tires off with POSIs at different roads out in the sticks by my way yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary with the burnouts besides powerbraking and letting it fly. Kept in drive with overdrive off -- today I went to use the truck to take my dog to the dog park acouple miles from my house. When I went to leave & put it in reverse I hear this clunking noise that I "NEVER" heard before!! Transmission shifts fine its just when I put it in reverse? Would like some feedback please on what you logical Bitogers think the noise exactly is before I take it to my mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
is drive shaft two piece (one inside the other?)

Might be now, after a few reverse drops!

My guess, u joints. I'd start there.

Burn outs on a 14 yr old truck. Cool. Any videos?

Could be slop in the rear axles, diff, driveshaft u-joints, something in the transmission or motor/trans mounts.

Dishdude, im 41 years old but still a kid at heart at times. My truck --- if I wanna set it on fire --- I will!!! No videos James Bond --- maybe next time!!
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: thorromig
I decided to smoke the rear tires off with POSIs at different roads out in the sticks by my way yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary with the burnouts besides powerbraking and letting it fly.

Karma for folks who live in the sticks and were forced to listen to someone acting that foolish.

Sorry, where I smoked MY tires was miles and miles from ANY civilization. Might have drove the wildlife in a litte frenzy for about 10 minutes though!

I'd suspect U-joints ... my ancient S10 started doing that after a few burnouts, and that's what it turned out to be
wink.gif

I'm all for having a little fun on a backroad every now and then lol

Those 8-1/4",9-1/4" Chrysler axles cant take a lot of abuse.These are essentially the same axles as in 1970s Aspen/Volare,and B/C body cars and weren't known for durability.Now the 8-3/4" musclecar era axle was a different story...

Probably did some damage to the rear or if your lucky only the u joints now if your not lucky your trans is now on borrowed time. Those trucks are known for weak rears and transmissions the engines however are very strong

I am going to be 40 in November. Last time I got new tires for the Trans Am, I turned the old ones into putty.
smile.gif

Don't hate...appreciate. Everyone's idea of fun is a bit different.

To answer your question... Time for U-Joints.
laugh.gif

Yeah those Ram rearends aren't too tough, so probably either that or u-joints. Their transmissions aren't that great either...

Sounds like u-joints to me but I broke a dodge truck rear end when I was young doing burn outs. Sheared the spider gear pin right in half.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I am going to be 40 in November. Last time I got new tires for the Trans Am, I turned the old ones into putty.
smile.gif

Don't hate...appreciate. Everyone's idea of fun is a bit different.

To answer your question... Time for U-Joints.
laugh.gif

I'm way past you in years. Did a burnout last night to show off the new 3400 stall converter.

To each his own, my car has thousands of burnouts on it in 100k miles. Most of the haters are not car enthusiasts, just drivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back