A different method of sampling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it would be of any use to have the oil left behind in the oil filter analysed to see what kind of stuff is being dealt with inside the engine.

Hmmm....I would think that the sample would show a LOT more contaminants, since the filter had been trapping them throughout the OCI.

No benefit, as far as I see. The oil is constantly circulated through the filter, so no significant difference will be noted, unless you wash particulates from the filter pleats while draining the filter into a sample bottle.

I'd think the oil in the filter should look very similar to the oil in the sump.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I'd think the oil in the filter should look very similar to the oil in the sump.

If that's true why do some people blanch and the idea of changing the oil filter every other oil change. I hear words like why leave a quart of dirty contaminated oil in the engine.

The sample for this UOA came entirely from the filter. I forgot to get the sample during the drain. Iron is higher but usage was also completely different. Personally I think the usage is responsible for the difference not where it came from.

If you are taking the sample from the oil in the center tube, and therefore after the filter media, I would think it would be cleaner than the sump oil. If it is from before the filter media, it would be very similar to the sump oil, unless in the process of draining the filter contents you washed the contaminants out of the filter media.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If that's true why do some people blanch and the idea of changing the oil filter every other oil change. I hear words like why leave a quart of dirty contaminated oil in the engine.

Because that "dirty contaminated oil" is the same stuff you are draining out of your sump, which is one of the main reasons for doing an oil change in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

As soon as you start the engine after an oil-only change, that used oil mixes with and dilutes into the fresh oil. The reason why many, including me, are proponents of using an oil filter twice, is that the used oil in the filter most likely has at least some life left, and, when mixed into the new oil, will provide sufficient margin for the full next interval.

Furthermore, the assumption I make, is that the efficiency of the filter over the second interval will be greater than during its first interval, and that, at two full intervals, the filter will still have sufficient margin to its capacity.

I've thought about running something like a Fram Ultra filter for three Maintenance Minder intervals in my wife's Civic, which would be >20k miles, and then do my first UOA for this R18 engine, that's how confident I am. After ~15k miles, the Extended Guard and Ultra filters have looked fantastic, so I don't see another interval causing the filter to load significantly more, since this R18 has always been well-maintained and driven very gently. The engine also gets up to temperature every day, twice/day due to a decent back-roads commute.

OT: it actually makes me cringe to see people spend so much money on Amsoil filters and change them frequently. If I decided to use such an expensive filter I'd best be able to run it out for a couple of years, at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back