Whats happening in the taxi business? - car select

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I was in NYC it was a mix of older Crown Vics, some Priuses, a LOT of Ford Escape Hybrids and Ford C-Max. There were some Toyota Camry Hybrids as well.

The taxis we took ended up being 2 Escapes, and a C-Max.

Even a Nissan Leaf or 2.

Boston was mainly Ford Escape Hybrids, and Camry Hybrids last time I was there.

They are all Prius here. They used to be ex police CV's

Drivers say they would never go back to the CV's.

No Nissan Dustbuster vans with unreliable CVTs for NYC Taxi? Nice!

Las Vegas was everything. Malibus, Ford Edge, Ford Windstar, Crown Victoria ...

What I see around here, is whatever is cheap and used. I have seen Astro Vans, Regals, Camarys, Priuses, and all kinds of Mini-Vans.

Still some Crown Vics. Doesn't seem to be one make or model. Just what moves!

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I've actually seen cabbies using something that looks like a traditional London Cab.

You could buy the Hackney Carriage up until recently in the US. Not any longer. We had a few. Scion xB and Prius are the business success stories in taxi cab world nowadays.

I could not understand why the fellow cab drivers would never extend some courtesy to the paying public and move the danm seats from the maximum back position

Great topic as we also see some funny stuff down here. Since the end of the CVPI the Taxi Services seem to be experimenting a bit.

Still see mostly retired CVPI's but other makes are in there too...

The Hispanic cabbies are usually minivans or smaller SUV. The other cabbies primarily drive domestic sedans. Limo drivers use the Lincoln Towne Car and Caddy SUV.

Now that Benz is selling a E class 4 cylinder diesel in the US I wonder if we will start seeing those.

Last edited:
The immigrants now working in the taxi industry taught us one valuable lesson - the world won't end with the discontinuation of the big RWD Caprice and Crown Vics. They've been using small cars as taxis in other countries for years, and simply continued the practice here.

Yes, it was nice in the late 1980s to have a giant station wagon when someone wanted to lug all their possessions to the airport. But, it was bad when people figured that a taxi was a cheaper alternative to hiring a moving company.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K

You could buy the Hackney Carriage up until recently in the US. Not any longer. We had a few. Scion xB and Prius are the business success stories in taxi cab world nowadays.

I could not understand why the fellow cab drivers would never extend some courtesy to the paying public and move the danm seats from the maximum back position
This is the one I've seen here in the US recently:

homepg-metroaccess-slide.jpg

Apparently it's some sort of CNG powered cabbie. The vehicle is not sold for non-commercial use in the US. I wonder if it may be built on a Ford Transit platform.

Wow - old thread.

Well - since this thread was revived, maybe it's a good time to talk about taxi regs in certain jurisdictions.

The City and County of San Francisco licenses drivers to accept fares from San Francisco and San Francisco International Airport (which technically isn't in San Francisco). I've looked up the regs, and drivers are allowed to turn down fares going outside of San Francisco with the exception of San Francisco Airport or Oakland Airport. I have seen plenty of SF taxis heading for OAK.

However, the most common vehicle seems to be the Ford Escape. Some are hybrids. There are a lot of Prius taxis too. I think lots of the drivers would prefer to keep the Crown Vics, but the taxi regs state that a vehicle in taxi service can't be more than 8 model years old or have more than 325K miles on the odo.

Quote:
$x=Advanced#JD_1113']http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/C...dvanced#JD_1113

(q) Vehicle Mileage. Starting mileage may not be more than 70,000 miles when a vehicle is placed into service. No vehicle may be operated as a Taxi or Ramp Taxi after the vehicle has reached 325,000 miles.

(r) Vehicle Age. No vehicle older than six model years may be placed into service as a Taxi or Ramp Taxi vehicle, and no vehicle older than eight model years may remain in service as a Taxi or Ramp Taxi vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back